Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Arkansas CW Relic Hunt With Dman & Okie Relic Friends Near Jenkin's Ferry

One great advantage to writing articles for the treasure/relic hunting magazines and participating in related activities is the good friends that you make along the way. Three friends from Oklahoma (John, J.J., and Terry) invited Dman and myself to meet them in Arkansas and hunt near the Jenkins Ferry Battlefield. That battle occurred in April 1864 and was the last major Civil War engagement in Arkansas. Every recovered nice relics and we enjoyed excellent weather.
The first pic is my finds from the hunt. Dman will post his finds later and he has some interesting finds and firsts also. I fully expected to find a variety of bullets but the first 6 that I dug were all different. My favorite is the Enfield with a ring carved around it by a CW Soldier. The flattened .58 3 ringer was likely used as a poker chip. I had never dug a Starr carbine bullet and few Tie Ring Sharps bullets. The little brass brads are from knapsacks and there is a knapsack hook and a square attachment for a 1851 sword belt rig. Lots of harness and a bridle ring. I also dug an unreadable IH and 1913 wheatie.
John unseated Dman for Best Find of the hunt award on Saturday afternoon with the sword guard (looks like it came from a 1840 wristbreaker) as John shows it to J.J. in the second pic He also won the bullet master award with a total of 50 (he doubled up with more than one in a hole a few times). Just before we left after hunting a couple of hours on Sunday morning, he dug a fuse plug that appears to have come from a Hotchkiss shell. He has many years of experience hunting CW relics and is pretty good with a detector too-LOL.
The third pic is of the hunting party (Terry, J.J., John, and Dman). John’s son J.J. (a.k.a. “Honey Bun”) is shown coming out of the pine woods in the next picture. He was the self appointed hunt coordinator. We could have used some lawn chairs J.J.-LOL.
I came home with enough relics for a small wooden display case and actually recovered more than I expected that I would. We definitely plan to go back there. Good friends, good weather, and excellent relic hunting in a very historic CW site-what’s not to like? HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• Jenkin\'s Ferry Arkansas 2011.jpg
    Jenkin\'s Ferry Arkansas 2011.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 988
  • John & J.J. with sword guard.jpg
    John & J.J. with sword guard.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 991
  • Ark. Hunting party 2011.jpg
    Ark. Hunting party 2011.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,022
  • J.J. Hunts the pines.jpg
    J.J. Hunts the pines.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 1,040
Upvote 1

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Arkansas CW Relic Hunt With Dman & Okie Relic Friends Near Jenkin's Ferry

Looks like a great hunt you guys had. Arkansas is known for it's variety of bullets and it lived up to it's reputation. I have hunted DeVall's Bluff, Arkansas a couple times and have found bullets there I haven't found anywhere else, including two varieties of Starr Carbine, and one bullet nobody has been able to identify!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like great fun guys. Congrats on some great Arkansas CW relics. They look as purdy as those Tenn relics. :thumbsup:
Honey Bun looks like a big boy, so if he likes to be called Honey Bun then that's just fine. :tongue3: :laughing9:
I see Dman is resting his injured middle finger again. Must have been tough digging for him. :tongue3:
Great job guys,
Dug

Attachments

• Ark__Hunting_party_2011.jpg
    Ark__Hunting_party_2011.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 435
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ashleysflyr said:
steelheadwill said:
Looks like a great day for all !
Congrats on your finds :thumbsup:
I'm guessing the man on the right is showing off his dug ring :laughing7:

Or he's just not feeling that photogenic...lol

~Tom
Don't kid yourself Tom. he never misses a chance to get in the picture. Thanks for looking, Quindy
Tennessee Treasure Hunter said:
the guy on the right is telling us he is #1....LOL
super great finds!!
TTH
TTH, one of these days we will get together for a hunt and you will see Mr. #1 in person. I bet you can't wait-LOL HH, Quindy.
Dixiedigger said:
Great hunt Qunidy, how come Dman is shooting everyone a bird? LOL
You and the hound know him real well Andy so you know he doesn't need a reason-LOL. Did you hunt Southern Tenn. this weekend? Please email me, Q.
mainer said:
Good finds and great pics Quindy. I dug one of those knapsack hooks myself the other day. First one I have ever dug up here. :thumbsup:
Jesse, those are fun to find. The vast majority we find here id the "J" hook with a button variety. I think thios hook is only the second of that type I recall digging. HH, Q.
Seabiscuit said:
Great Hunt Quindy! Glad you had a good time down there!
Thanks for that set up you gave me for my F-75, It works great!
Seabiscuit
Based on the finds that you made recently SB, I'd say that F75 is set up perfectly. Thanks for your reply and good huntin', Quindy.
DD-777 said:
Great hunt Q! Congrats on the "firsts" in the lead department... :icon_thumright:
Some of those bulletd would have been hard to find in middle Tenn. Andy. Thanks for looking Bud, Quindy.
rebelrouser said:
that really looked like a great hunt. glad you all did good.i may be by Dman,s store tomorrow as i have Dr. appointment...im glad for every one of you.
Thanks Don. Hope the doctor finds you well, Quindy.
Steve in PA said:
Looks like a great hunt you guys had. Arkansas is known for it's variety of bullets and it lived up to it's reputation. I have hunted DeVall's Bluff, Arkansas a couple times and have found bullets there I haven't found anywhere else, including two varieties of Starr Carbine, and one bullet nobody has been able to identify!
Steve, I hoped that what I had heard about digging a wide variety of bullets in Arkansas was true. After all the first 6 digs were different, I was pleasantly surprised too. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Looks like great fun guys. Congrats on some great Arkansas CW relics. They look as purdy as those Tenn relics. :thumbsup:
Honey Bun looks like a big boy, so if he likes to be called Honey Bun then that's just fine. :tongue3: :laughing9:
I see Dman is resting his injured middle finger again. Must have been tough digging for him. :tongue3:
Great job guys,
Dug
That's part of his rotator cuff therapy MM. Oh wait, that surgery was performed on the other shoulder-LOL. Like you, he should have been a circus clown. HH, Q.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that is a good story and a fine looking bunch of relics. Must have been a rough battle. Those are the kinda relics you see on battle sites and a lot diffrent then camp site stuff. Glad you guys had fun :thumbsup:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o :o :o :o Nice diggs Quindy ! Took a fun TH road trip to meet up with some skilled diggers ... :thumbsup: lucky dawgs :occasion14:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

TnMountains said:
Now that is a good story and a fine looking bunch of relics. Must have been a rough battle. Those are the kinda relics you see on battle sites and a lot diffrent then camp site stuff. Glad you guys had fun :thumbsup:
Richard, there was heavy rain and swampy conditions there on the Saline River in April 1864. These relics came mostly from perimeter camps. Thanks, Quindy.
traverdog said:
Excellent finds!!
Thanks for looking Tdog.
Woodland Detectors said:
Hahaha!

Nice flippin there Doug. :laughing9:

Good digs Quin.
You know what a clown he cas be Mikey. HH, Q.
CMDiamonddawg said:
:o :o :o :o Nice diggs Quindy ! Took a fun TH road trip to meet up with some skilled diggers ... :thumbsup: lucky dawgs :occasion14:
Well worth the gas Dawg. Thanks, Quindy.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most excellent! Thats alot of great relics.

Rickiowa2009

Mar 6, 2009
Cedar Rapids Iowa
Detector(s) used
GTP1350 Garrett, Xterra 705 gold pack and ace250!

The bullets are in good condition!

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Getty said:
Most excellent! Thats alot of great relics.
Some are scarce in our part of Tenn. Getty. Thanks, Quindy.
Rickiowa2009 said:
The bullets are in good condition!
Rick, the soil was a little hotter than what we hunt in middle Tenn. but was pretty kind to the lead. HH, Quindy.
Woodland Detectors said:
I love the sword guard Quindy!
John really got lucky there Mike as there were not ANY more relics in that part of the field. HH, Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread