1842 Springfield Butt Plate and relics !!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1842 Springfield Butt Plate and relics !!

4-18-11 Welcome Back to the Yankee camp I started searching last year . Friday was a windy nightmare so I bagged it and started Sat and was rained out after a few finds . Sunday was a decent day and produced something I have been searching for but has eluded me . :dontknow: :icon_scratch: Finally after countless hours and briers , ticks , and doggone varmits of every nature .............. a New Jersey militia cuff button :hello2: :headbang: :laughing7: 8) also some other firsts .. NY State Militia coat button with the back missing but nice gilt , General Staff coat button " found a few of these " in the past . The 1265 X is the relic hound dog of the M scope series , there is no doubt this thing loves brass , it also likes square nails :P After a few shotgun tops it will target a button more shell tops but I keep them ...some are hard to find like an 8 guage . The iron Springfield butt plate was 6-9 inches deep and near a large concentration of iron . This one is another first , I found an 1853 Enfield brass butt plate and trigger guard and a colonial Brown Bess brass ,butt plate in the past { posted on TN } I pulled another hump back buckle and some nice lead . No minis but I did get some more musketballs and some unknown that I will get on later " ran out of attachments" . Two toasted large coppers , one 1860's shield nickel and a brass eagle emblem :o not sure what this was riveted on to , no marks on this eagle & 4" in length , a broken anchor solid brass Navel hat badge or medal :headbang: , harness boss , harp parts , lots of flat buttons , gilted emblem , rosette and rivets . Two cans of Deep Woods , 6 mini ticks but I love this place . The cellar hole produced the most amount of these relics . It must have been a mansion. :icon_thumleft: ThAnks for stopping in , HH CMDdawg

Attachments

• nj48.JPG
    nj48.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 735
  • dawg13.JPG
    dawg13.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 707
  • dawg anchor medal.JPG
    dawg anchor medal.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 697
  • dawg eagle.JPG
    dawg eagle.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 696
  • dawg (2).JPG
    dawg (2).JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 708
  • dawg 20.JPG
    dawg 20.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 718
  • dawg finds 12.JPG
    dawg finds 12.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 718
  • ddd.JPG
    ddd.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 728
  • springfield buttplate.JPG
    springfield buttplate.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 714
  • springfield.JPG
    springfield.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 720
  • buttons.JPG
    buttons.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 705
  • 4 17 001.JPG
    4 17 001.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 653
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

Re: 1857 Springfield Butt Plate and Yankee relics !!

very wide variety of relics.. nice butt and buttons :tongue3: :headbang: WTG Dawg

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow Dawg, you scored big time. Nice buttons. One bullet looks like a .50 cal. Smith Carbine. The gold shield looks like a piece that went on the end of a rein. WTG Bud, Quindy.

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

umrgolf said:
very wide variety of relics.. nice butt and buttons :tongue3: :headbang: WTG Dawg
Yo , ya gotta get your butt back over here , bring the babe with you :laughing7:
VOL1266-X said:
Wow Dawg, you scored big time. Nice buttons. One bullet looks like a .50 cal. Smith Carbine. The gold shield looks like a piece that went on the end of a rein. WTG Bud, Quindy.
Hi Quindy ..Thanks man , can you id this one for me ...you are the expert on lead , it is an amazing mushroom :dontknow: dawg

Attachments

• what is this one Quindy 001.JPG
    what is this one Quindy 001.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 684
  • what is this one Quindy 002.JPG
    what is this one Quindy 002.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 681
  • what is this one Quindy 004.JPG
    what is this one Quindy 004.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 679
  • what is this one Quindy 003.JPG
    what is this one Quindy 003.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 678

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks for the confidence Dawg but there are people on here who know a whole lot more about CW bullets than I do. I can say that I have dug literally hundreds of fired bullets and have never seen one like that. From your pics, the body of the bullet looks significantly smaller than the base and the hole in the cavity would not have been that big that far toward the tip. Does it have rings on the outside? If it does not, it could easily be post CW. Typically, Enfield bullets have a shallow cavity so that's out. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VOL1266-X said:
Thanks for the confidence Dawg but there are people on here who know a whole lot more about CW bullets than I do. I can say that I have dug literally hundreds of fired bullets and have never seen one like that. From your pics, the body of the bullet looks significantly smaller than the base and the hole in the cavity would not have been that big that far toward the tip. Does it have rings on the outside? If it does not, it could easily be post CW. Typically, Enfield bullets have a shallow cavity so that's out. HH, Quindy.
I have all the confidence in the world my friend, you spotted the .50 cal Smiths carbine 8) :icon_thumleft: Thanks , Quindy ... has rings on the outside .

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1842 Springfield Butt Plate and relics !!

Very very nice Dawg ! Great bunch of relics ! Love that big old lead rossette bottom left last Pic. I wish it had been whole for you ! Great finds and pics :icon_sunny: M.R.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, quite a variety of finds there! Love the butt plate, I dug a nice iron one in Virginia a couple years ago. Civil War relics in New Jersey is something you don't see everyday. Are you hunting a training camp?

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Wow, good job on another very productive hunt CMDawg ! A LOT of NICE OLD keepers there, Congrats! :headbang:

TommNJ

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

Love the relic's...my kinda hunt. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KyFreeBird said:
:icon_thumright: Great finds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, KyFreeBird
MaineRelic said:
Very very nice Dawg ! Great bunch of relics ! Love that big old lead rossette bottom left last Pic. I wish it had been whole for you ! Great finds and pics :icon_sunny: M.R.
MR , I am grateful that you stop in to see my stuff :thumbsup: Best to ya
Steve in PA said:
Wow, quite a variety of finds there! Love the butt plate, I dug a nice iron one in Virginia a couple years ago. Civil War relics in New Jersey is something you don't see everyday. Are you hunting a training camp?
local militia according to the local old timers ...Thanks for your interest Steve CMD
TommNJ said:
Wow, good job on another very productive hunt CMDawg ! A LOT of NICE OLD keepers there, Congrats! :headbang:

TommNJ
Yo TommNJ You get to hunt near the Rev. War areas , hope you find some keepers :headbang: CMDawg
HILL BILLY said:
Love the relic's...my kinda hunt. :thumbsup:
Thanks , Hill Bill

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, that be a Fine Butt! ;D ;D :tongue3: Nice Digs buddy :icon_thumleft:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great digs Dawg. Love that naval hat badge. Do yourself a favor and pound that place til there's nothing left. :icon_thumright:

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Man is that hut holes? if so I would dig the heck out of them there can be some great relics out of detector reach on the floor!!!!!

Great finds!

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

{Sentinel} said:
Yes, that be a Fine Butt! ;D ;D :tongue3: Nice Digs buddy :icon_thumleft:
Thanks for the complimentl , I guess your saying that's a fine butt find ;D dawg
sscindercoop said:
Awesome hunt :icon_thumleft:
Hey coop :hello: can't wait to see what you get on your next hunt ! I am enjoying your success , keep going :thumbsup:
allen said:
that site has given you some terrific CW relics !! :thumbsup:
Good to hear from you Allen , I hope all is well bud :icon_thumleft: Thank You , CMD
mainer said:
Great digs Dawg. Love that naval hat badge. Do yourself a favor and pound that place til there's nothing left. :icon_thumright:
Aye Captain mainer , a unique seafarers medal :icon_scratch: most are just the Navy cadets anchor , I will try my Best to get something to post , many Thanks
jerseyben said:
Is this in North or South Jersey?
South NJ ,
Brian(upstateNY-Central Fla.) said:
:thumbsup: great variety there for sure ;D :icon_thumright:
Thanks Brian
Hutch911 said:
Man is that hut holes? if so I would dig the heck out of them there can be some great relics out of detector reach on the floor!!!!!

Great finds!
Thanks ... CMD Thanks to all for your kind words . CMDawg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread