Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold
Keep at it, things will change. Maybe a change of venue as well? GL

capndan151

Apr 29, 2007
Costa Mesa CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
You can't give up. The more you stay with it the better it gets. Try going to a place you have never been before. Half the fun is finding new places. Just drive for an hour and wherever you end up start detecting.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
It took me a long time to find something good, mainly because it took forever to learn how to use my first metal detector and what it was telling me. Keep at it and try to learn your machine as best you can.

DirtDigler

Apr 10, 2010
Caroline Co., VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
The three most importants thing you can do to find relics are, research, research, and more research. You can have the best machine on the market, but if you don't know where to go, you got nuttin'. That's the beauty of this hobby. You'll usually get a great history lesson, if nothing else. Most of the earth has nothing underneath it, but some places are just loaded with artifacts and relics. I have been in the middle of a huge field with no landmark, nor sign of habitation, but a couple pottery shards and a few chunks of old brick reveal a past. What once was a hub of activity might now be a vacant lot or farm field. Only research will narrow your search. Best of luck!

60sqbird

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2011
I know how you feel. I have been out about a dozen times in the last month and have only found about $3 in change....although I did find a sterling ring. Don't give up. The next hole you dig may be the mother load.
George in Pittsburgh

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
DirtDigler said:
The three most importants thing you can do to find relics are, research, research, and more research. You can have the best machine on the market, but if you don't know where to go, you got nuttin'. That's the beauty of this hobby. You'll usually get a great history lesson, if nothing else. Most of the earth has nothing underneath it, but some places are just loaded with artifacts and relics. I have been in the middle of a huge field with no landmark, nor sign of habitation, but a couple pottery shards and a few chunks of old brick reveal a past. What once was a hub of activity might now be a vacant lot or farm field. Only research will narrow your search. Best of luck!

DD has so right in this! When i did get started to hunt not even a year ago, before i did get my MD i did research, i did read and read.. Not so fun, but then you find some old market place, a old house site, maby a shotout? Talk to old people and ask them if they remember any story, or old big house?

Always be a step before the step :wink: AND maps, compare old maps to the one today and you will See old paths that's been forgotten and houses that disappeared Thru the years. This is the advise i can give tho i learned from it when another MD gave it to me. And that's the best advise, guideline i ever received about MD! So just keep going, you will find something good, i can promise you that! Just DONT give up! :thumbsup: HH//Tsh

Chocadog

Feb 3, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari, Garrett GTI2000, Garrett250
Hang tough, I bought a detector 15 years ago and had the same sort of luck that you have had and got away from trying. Last year I got back into the hobby and now I am upset with myself for not persevering when I first started, So hang in there the discouragement is well worth the results when they start coming, and they will. :icon_thumright:

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
It truly is location, location, location...and knowing your machine. To get familiar with the in's and out's of your machine, put together a test garden and vary your swing speed over the targets. Learn what your machine is telling you. Next...do research as others have said. Look for isolated bunches of spring flowers (bulbs) in areas where no structure is standing. You can also look for fruit trees that appear to have been planted in the same fashion. On these older sites, go slow and listen for those high tones you heard in your test garden. Sometimes you will encounter iron that will 'blank out' your threshold on your detector. You know then that you are where some activity was. As your threshold (hum) starts back up, listen for those high tones and try to isolate them by going slow and working the target from several directions listening for a high repeatable tone. Hope this helps.

Baldingboy

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
time to give up the detector & try fishing :wink: :laughing9: :thumbsup: