ok...this is crazy..attic find
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Apr 2006
    Kentucky
    1 times

ok...this is crazy..attic find

My grand-pa and I are not very close, but he came across something today that makes me want to call him up and shoot the **** with him. He's been living in a house around 2 years now thats no more then 40 years old and just recently went up into the attic and saw a board sticking out. He then moved it out of the way and found a metal box FULL of old coins, paper bills, folders full of money. According to him they are from the 17 and 1800's. He even described paper cents to my mom (never heard of something like this). I'm guessing if he has paper dimes, and supposively one of the first bills ever made in the U.S. that this cache is worth making the 2 hour trip to look at. I'm going to get pictures as soon as possible, sounds almost too good to be true.

us
    youtube.com/c/BigCypressSwamp

Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    3179 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Re: ok...this is crazy..attic find

Great find!! Cant wait to see pics. You would not believe how many people hide guns and valuables in the attic, including myself.

May 2006
    Trafford, PA
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by bigcypresshunter
    Great find!! Cant wait to see pics. You would not believe how many people hide guns and valuables in the attic, including myself.
    Any luck on your Civil War stuff? Contact with new occupants? Good luck with that.
    Grogmug, hope it's a great find! We love pics on TNet...

Apr 2006
    Kentucky
    1 times

Do you know anything about these paper coins? Are they valuable/rare? I'll keep a look out at these coins when I make the trip sounds pretty crazy!

realmhunter

The paper "coins" are actually called fractionals. The notes were used when silver and gold were scarce... Its amazing to find a box full of notes and coins in a attic... I would become very friendly. Even if you can just look at it all, the experience itself would be enriching..RH

Jun 2005
    Tacoma,WA
    1 times

that is pretty cool. i wish i could find something like that.

us
    Annmarie, better half of RonandAnn ;)

Jun 2006
    Virginia Beach
    Garrett Ace 250
    47 times

I remember somewhere in my old newspaper research, an article I ran across, I hope I saved that one...but they were talking about "paper coins"....I will have to go through the articles and see if I saved that one. This article was written in the mid-1800's...as that was the years I was researching.

Take lots of pics....hope your Grandpa shows them to you!!! I'm excited just to see the pics!!
    Illustrator Draftsman Second Class, Enlisted Surface Warfare, U.S. Navy (Retired), Mom of 3, Troop 65 Committee Member, Genealogist 35+ yrs

Apr 2006
    Kentucky
    1 times

He claims one of the paper bills were dated 1701...one of the designer bills or first bill ever made...sounds crazy. Don't know much about them but how could someone forget about a collection like that?! Someone had to of died in that house.

us
    Apr 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
    21 times

wowzers!! I will definatly keep on reading this!!!!!
    Anyone can make life interesting you just have to go out there and do things instead of sitting on your butt doing nothing. Second quote: Life is about trying new things not just standing around.

us
    Mar 2005
    Vinemont, Alabama
    Garrett Ace 250
    227 times
    Metal Detecting

Wow, killer finds!
    "Today's the day!" - Mel Fisher

May 2006
    Tesoro Vaquero
    4 times

I don't know about "paper coins", but I have an old 15 cent paper note. The 15 cents seems to be an unusual designation. I don't know the date.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13 cent note.jpg 
Views:	1387 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	91045  
    Life is a big doo sandwich and we all have to take a bite, savvy?

Apr 2006
    Kentucky
    1 times

It got me going and I don't even own any of these items. I'll be making the trip sometime this week to see what he has...take some pictures, come back and figure out what kind of stuff were dealing with here.

Mar 2006
    1 times

Heres a link about the Fractional notes, looks like theres some good info and examples there. Be nice to Gramps looks like he has a find of a lifetime.

http://www.oldecityonline.com/Fractional.htm

MSgt

Sep 2004
    Indy
    17 times

Maybe this find by him will bring the two of you closer...either way keep us posted sounds like a cool find.

Dave

us
    Jul 2006
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Garrett Ace 250
    18 times

Beam me down fast, Scottie! The old phrase, "not worth a Continental" doesn't apply anymore. Heal old wounds or Eat crow if you have to. Good luck!
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
                          Member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links