Found a Brunswick and Balke bar token today.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been out much lately because it's been too hot and dry, but I saw this downtown street freshly dug up and nicely spread out. Because it was recently dug, the dirt under the street was not hard packed, so I thought I would give it a try. The only finds were this token, a pile of square nails, and some broken pottery fragments. No coins (yet).
It got to be too hot to continue and the sweat was pouring off my forehead. Then, a gust of wind blew up the dirt in the street and I was instantly covered with sweaty mud.

Attachments

• 073006 002.jpg
    073006 002.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 480
  • 073006 001.jpg
    073006 001.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 462
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Great find, BK!

The Frank Riley BBC token is attributed to Austin, Minnesota, c. 1884-86.

Source: Hank Thoele's Guide to Makers' Tokens - Attributed BBC & Other Tokens with Makers' Marks

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
man i love those old bar tokens. they are a real piece of history. great find!

OP
OP
bk

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PBK said:
Great find, BK!

The Frank Riley BBC token is attributed to Austin, Minnesota, c. 1884-86.

Source: Hank Thoele's Guide to Makers' Tokens - Attributed BBC & Other Tokens with Makers' Marks
Thanks PBK! Thats where I found it too.

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
What a sweet token, BK!

With the picture of the pool table, I am wondering if this Brunswick had something to do with the pool table company?

R

realmhunter

I love bar tokens..they are so collectable.. ;D Keep the md swinging..RH

OP
OP
bk

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stoney,
Thanks for the link to the Brunswick Corp. I have found and sold numerous BBC tokens. They are usually mavericks.(Town not known).

Thanks to PBK and others like him who spend lots of time and resources researching these pieces. By knowing where the business's were located adds to the historical interest (and sometimes value) of the piece.
Thanks everyone for the comments. Now, if the temperatures cool off a little, I'll have to go and look for a Seated Liberty coin.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really ,really nice!!

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Excellent token!It's in great condition and being attributed to Austin Minnesota makes it even greater.I hope you can get back there again before they finish off that roadwork.It's worth a little sweat and dirt to make recoveries like that. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread