Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes friends, I have a story...

I went to West Virginia to check out a site that a friend had suggested. She had "eyeballed" two coins there in the years playing in the woods around her house. One was an 1827 Quarter and the other a Spanish silver Coin from the 18th century. I had just imagined the place crawling with coins of that caliber under each swing of a detector. Although the week was filled with a other great finds like a handful of wheat and Indian cents, a silver ring, a fantastic gold ring (more on that later), and even a few Civil War artifacts, the old silver in those woods eluded us. Two metal detectors in that expanse of woods didn't amount to a drop in the bucket after hours of tireless hunting.

Anyhow, so back to yellow jackets. The first time I dug into a yellow jackets nest, I was in the middle of the woods on a mountain top in Virginia and my diggin buddy had just unearthed a Civil War ram rod. My blood was pumping so hard from his find, that it took a second to realize what the swarm of bees expanding upward towards my face was. In that split second, I was stung...and stung again...and again. 20 stings total on my legs and arms, including two on my face. Those @#$% things got up my pants legs, and I had to endure an excruciating week afterward.

On this past trip, I encountered them again, this time at an old schoolhouse site. I had placed my Fisher 1266-X on the ground, and pierced the ground with my shovel when I saw the swarm balloon upward. I immediately knew what was up and yelled to my diggin buddy and we both got the heck out of there (I was not about to bend toward the swarm to rescue my metal detector!). I managed to escape with one sting and my buddy and I regrouped about 30 yards away. The sky was threatening rain, and I realized only then that my shovel was stuck upright in the earth and my detector was laying there on the ground, turned on, and crawling with bees. At that point I decided in a brave act to grab a 20 foot long tree limb and "hook" the metal detector to lift it out of there. What a crazy sight to see. I have decided that of all the flora and fauna I have come into contact with while diggin' (angry bulls, snakes, bears, poison ivy, and ants), yellow jackets suck the most.

BuckleBoy

Upvote 0
R

realmhunter

Mother natures little air force are just a part of hunting..you never know when they will turn up. The ram rod was a cool find. I am assuming that you were able to collect this piece of antiquity. Its bad when this happens but be glad it is not the killer(Africanized honeybees). They can followup to 2 miles! Everytime we hunt there are risks that are not on our minds until it happens.. Tommorrow will be a better day. Keep hunting..RH

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
When i was a kid me & my buddies were playing army in the woods. I was crawling on my belly over a firebreak & started feeling the stings on my legs, then realized I had crawed right through a yellowjackets nest. They were crawling up my pants legs & stinging the heck outa me. I stripped down to my underwear & ran home, my freinds didnt realize what was goin on & thought I was nuts! I was stung over 100 times & barely made it to the hospital in time, almost died. :( I sympathize with you, dont know if the stings or the drugs they gave me were worse, was in a fog for a few days. Yeah.........yellowjackets suck!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha. Too bad they didn't give me drugs. That might have at least made the first experience with them somewhat redeemable.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
LOL I blacked out before we got to the hospital, was out for hours. But when I woke up I was in a spin for what seemed like a couple days. Dont know what they gave me but I didnt like it! They kept me in the hospital for a couple days, wasnt a good life experience. Yellow jackets suck!

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
:D Yeah, not funny, I know. My other half was out trimming bushes around the base of a pine tree one day with a chain saw. Evidently he woke up a nest of them. By the time he realized what was happening, they were all over him. Meanwhile, I'm in the house and hear, "OPEN THE DOOR! OPEN THE DOOR!" Here he comes tearing across the yard, headed for the "open door." I managed to see the (running) chain saw go flying in one direction while he's running 90 miles an hour in the other direction. About the time he got to the door, his shirt went flying. Those things were stinging him through his jeans, and they were "stuck on" him. Mean little devils. We killed about a dozen before we got his clothes off. By now, though, they're flying around the kitchen, madder'n hell! My poor hubby was puffed up and bruised (from my swings and licks trying to kill the little buggers) for a couple of days. The chain saw finally ran out of gas and quit.

We kill 'em here with diesel fuel. Pour it in every hole you can find and light it up. But watch out for the other holes you missed in case they escape. One neighbor used gasoline. Poured it and poured it and poured it, then lit it up. The whole ground area lifted up in a mass explosion, but the little killers were done for. ;D :D

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Ouch!!!! thanks for reminding Me, this is the time of year to put out Bee traps on my property. Get rid of the hornets,wasps by punching holes in a pop bottle ,putting in meat , put the cap on and hang it up. you'll be surprised, only gets bees and flys - honeybees and bumbles aren't attracted to it.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They bite and sting and they can keep on doing it. They aren't like bees that sting once and die from losing their guts on ya. Little buggers can go to town until you whack'em! (9 stings in about 30 seconds is my record, one inside the mouth from a Barq's rootbeer can) plus umteen bites) Thanks for sharing your war stories...

Ramapirate

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Most of their nests are in the ground. The telltale sign is a round hole about half the size of a dime. They build nests out of a product they create themselves. Sort of a papery substance. Looks like mud at a distance. The nest itself is rather smooth; resembles a dirt dauber's nest (made out of dirt), but a little different. Kinda resembles a rather large, but smooth, cow paddy. They can build onto wood (houses), inside walls, bushes, etc. I don't know what they do in ground nests; may just live in the hole, I don't know. I never looked down in there. :D

Nail Digger

Jun 30, 2006
Kentucky, USA
About 10 years ago, I hit a nest while plowing a field. Barely had time to throw the tractor into neutral, jump off, and run. They sent a squad to chase me down and got me three or four times. Once reaching a safe(?) distance of about 100 yards, I watched them swarm my still-running tractor for 15 or 20 minutes. I walked home, and then went back to check on the situation periodically. Every time I checked, the tractor was still covered with them. There were hundreds of them. It was like one of those killer bee movies where the car is completely carpeted with bees. I think the vibration of the engine turned them on or something. Finally, after about 2 hours, it was time for a breakout. Most of the critters had disappeared. There were only maybe a hundred or so sitting calmly on the tractor hood. I sneaked aboard, depressed the clutch, put the tractor into low gear, and jumped off, releasing the clutch at the same time. I let the tractor run through a corn field while I ran like hell to catch up with it on the other side. Thankfully, all riders had abandoned ship and I was able to reclaim my equipment.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
i can relate too,, when i was about ten i stepped on a nest, ran home crying like a little girl.. not knowing the worst was about to come, when my dad saw them he beat the living crap out of me trying to kill them all.... :D :D :D

also i have a small landscape and tree service

before starting any pruning i always do a bee check first... hit all shrubs with a rake and bee prepared to run like a mother......... ;) ;) ;) ;)

yes they do suck....

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot remember where I read it, but I saw one article written about a nest found in an abandoned mobile home where the nest took up the entire mobile home. They estimated about half a million yellow jackets lived there.

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Yes they do suck!! Ran over a nest with a push mower 3 years ago. 24 stings in my hands and 15 in my feet, they gor down in my socks and shoes and I didn't think they would ever quit. They are very agressive in late summer and the fall.

Dave

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I'm glad I've never encounter then. :o The closest I have come to a "nest" of bees was something I saw hanging from the gutter of the garage. I knew it had to have some bees or other flying insects in it. So I got a broom and knocked it down and ran like a rabbitt away from there. I only saw two bees or wasps fly out of there, and they were angry. I think they were wasps but I certainly wasn't going to stay there and examine them. lol

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gotten into them bad a few times . The worst was when I rode a 4wheeler over a nest of them when I was a kid. One of my eyes swelled shut and it took half of the day to recover the 4wheeler. ??? Them rascals HURT!!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Those dad-blasted critters like to hang out on my property. Being heavily forested, as I am working around the house I see them periodically, but I do not go searching for them. I surely do keep my eyes out for them when mowing the yard, etc.

My brother-in-law and sister lived in the house before I did, and one day he was weed eating down by the road. Next thing I know the weed-eater stopped abruptly, and 30 seconds later the front door slammed open and he ran in the house cursing up a storm.

We never did find the nest, but we did find another one at the top of the field by the drive way.

We got a tin-can and some gas, and created a bonfire. It was neat to see them fly out of the hole on fire and then go crashing to ground like miniature bombers hit by flak.

Last weekend I got stung a couple of times by red wasps, as I am replacing soffit and facia on the front of my house.

DIE BUGS DIE!!!!
Mwuhahahaha!!!

I keep a steady supply of bug bombs and hornet/wasp killer spray cans on hand.

*me shudders*
:(

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear ya man, those yellow bellies are nasty little demons. I try to keep an eye out for em all the time but when you least exspect it...they're all over you.

Hope you never have that experience again.

Badger

S

sounder

I don't know if anyone here is aware of this, but when a bee stings you, it releases something into your skin and blood that makes the blood thicken.

Now, for a guy like me, who has heart disease, this is not a good thing, because it makes the heart pump harder. I never knew about this until a doctor told me.

Oh, by the way, I am also highly allergic to bee stings.

Anyway, I always keep plenty of wasp spray around the house and garage, and if you want to see an old man do the 2 second mile, just let one of those critters get after me, and I'm gone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just reading about your experience gives me goose bumps.

I'm glad that you weren't hurt too bad, and didn't have to make a hospital run.

And---------you are right-------they do suck!!!

sounder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread