Attachments

• 25Token Cache 001.JPG
    25Token Cache 001.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 1,917
Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Back to slot machine tokens: What would stop using a 5c in a 25c machine if they were the same size? Having different values the same size just don't size up. So to speak.

Today's "Pickle Pot" is a good example of "legal" gambling. Very popular in our local Elks. I have some punchboards from the 30's to pre war (green Lucky Strike Packs) and 50s that paid off in cigarettes.

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was trying to keep from having to type all of this but here goes.
From the book, “Tokens And Medals“:
Antique collectors define a “slot machine” to be a coin operated gambling machine that automatically pays winners in coins (or tokens at the option of the operator). This differs from similar “trade stimulator” machines which either have no automatic payout, or pay out in tokens only. Slot machines first became popular in the 1890’s, and many used tokens to get around anti-gambling laws or for security or psychological reasons (players more readily replay tokens than coins). By the 1920’s to 1940’s, many slot machine tokens carried phrases such as “For Amusement Only,” “No Cash Value,” and “Not Redeemable.” Many slot machines had vending components attached to or built into the machine. They dispensed mints, gum, candy or music, so the machine could qualify as a vending machine and not an illegal gambling machine. Replayed tokens with a hole in the center would not vend additional candy or gum. Many such tokens mention mints or confections. Other machines had game themes (such as baseball) with associated tokens. Most of these tokens are nickel size, as nickel slot machines were most prevalent back then.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Ok, Eddie. But you didn't mention before that the hole in the center didn't allow for replay of the token. That makes it a "pay out" only. That makes sense. And the only place to redeem it was in the little bodega at the back of the bar. Ok. So perhaps there were 5c tokens in the nickel machines and 25c tokens in the quarter machines? Let me know if I am getting the big picture here. I am interested.

I have seen the "No Cash Value" in use. Occasionally, you see the machine with the bars that go back and forth, pushing coins off the end into a chute that drops into a tray in front of you and you take them out? WRONG. Very seldom do they get pushed into the pay off area. I have often seen quarters in this machine, but once at the fairgrounds, there was a huge trailer with 20 or so of these machines that opened up, and they all had the "NCV". I think the tokens are thinner than a nickel, smaller than a quarter, so neither of the coins can be inserted into the device. And pennies and dimes fall through a slot in the bottom of the runway. I have also found some of the "NCV" tokens while detecting, but the tokens in question here are infinitely more interesting.

Thanks, Eddie, for doing all that typing. I am edified by your efforts. So to speak.

OP
OP
buckshot

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
High Plains Digger said:
Ok, Eddie. But you didn't mention before that the hole in the center didn't allow for replay of the token. That makes it a "pay out" only. That makes sense. And the only place to redeem it was in the little bodega at the back of the bar. Ok. So perhaps there were 5c tokens in the nickel machines and 25c tokens in the quarter machines? Let me know if I am getting the big picture here. I am interested.

I have seen the "No Cash Value" in use. Occasionally, you see the machine with the bars that go back and forth, pushing coins off the end into a chute that drops into a tray in front of you and you take them out? WRONG. Very seldom do they get pushed into the pay off area. I have often seen quarters in this machine, but once at the fairgrounds, there was a huge trailer with 20 or so of these machines that opened up, and they all had the "NCV". I think the tokens are thinner than a nickel, smaller than a quarter, so neither of the coins can be inserted into the device. And pennies and dimes fall through a slot in the bottom of the runway. I have also found some of the "NCV" tokens while detecting, but the tokens in question here are infinitely more interesting.

Thanks, Eddie, for doing all that typing. I am edified by your efforts. So to speak.
Hey HPD, This cache find has peaked my interest in these type tokens! I'm a novice as far as being knowlegable about them. But, i did compare these 5cent tokens to a nickle and they are pretty close if not the same size diameter.The 25cent tokens same as a quarter and both 5/25 tokens thinner than the minted coinage. I find the colorful history associated with these tokens to be quite interesting!
I have a breakdown of the numbers on backside 5cent tokens:
1-Blank
1-1268
1-3152
1-3684
1-20089
1-26475
1-26767
1-30864
1-31583
1-?450
No duplicate number tokens in this group of 10...
buckshot

Attachments

• 5cent token  grp 001.JPG
    5cent token grp 001.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 665

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Very interesting. I went down and found a couple of mine. Remember, I purchased several hundred of these, so out of these few, there are variations in the metal, the style of lettering, holes, and numbers. The ones with duplicate numbers, I put a numbered one below it. Also included a NCV For Amusement Only just to tie in with the rest of the thread. By the way, these are dime size or maybe a bit smaller.

Want to trade a couple of yours for several of mine?

Eddie--I suppose these are too generic to be in the token book, but perhaps it mentioned a maker of generic tokens? Anything you can add would be appreciated.

You know, at first glance I didn't notice the size difference. Too cool. Now I understand how the 5 didn't get put into the 25 machine.

Attachments

• MVC-296S.JPG
    MVC-296S.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 597
  • MVC-295S.JPG
    MVC-295S.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 590

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have examples with the following numbers:
I've researched these often and I've never found any records of any of these.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread