jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello all from the great midwest. The hot and sticky midwest :icon_sunny:
I figure since we were digging pretty deep I told Don "Lets go all the way to Paris." :icon_scratch: Well maybe not literally go there but at least we could find a bottle from there :tongue3:

Started out the two day adventure with a small trash pit which really ended up pretty good. Got a nice local crown top quart beer/soda and an Orange Julip bottle. Finished this pit and went on to the next one. Or we thought it was one but actually turned out to be two side by side. :headbang: Now it was on to the task of digging next to a huge tree and we know what we all find around trees......ROOTS >:( So after hacking, chopping, cutting and cursing we finally broke through to the layers of thin ash. These pits were pretty old by the lack of coal ash. This was more wood ash than anything else. Got down around the 5 foot level and we could clearly see that there were two side by side pits. One side had mostly pottery and shattered bottles. the other side they seemed to have thrown in a few intact items. :thumbsup:

So we took our time and pulled out a few keepers. Don snagged a nice LH Thomas Ink and I got the blank cone ink. Then I pulled out a Honey Amber Brown's Iron Bitters. Then another one and some small non descript medicines. Then I hit it!!!

PARIS....or at least a bottle that says Paris Injection Brau :dontknow: Never seen one of these before. Not really sure what it was for?? Finished out the pits with some glass buttons and the huge Mace looking glass. If you got hit with that in a bar fight you would feel it from your head to your toes :o We tried to concur another pit but ended up striking ash after ash after ash. Nothing in these pits. We did manage to get our fix on muscle pain by digging a 10 footer that ended up with river rocks at the bottom. :'(

But all in all it was a most enjoyable two days. Nothing like flinging several tons of dirt, reaching Paris, and then going for a Fruitista at Taco Bell! Only in America :tongue3: Hope ya enjoy the pics, and be safe out there :thumbsup: jgas

Attachments

• c1.JPG
    c1.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,142
  • c12.JPG
    c12.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,125
  • c11.JPG
    c11.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,125
  • c10.JPG
    c10.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,135
  • c9.JPG
    c9.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,139
  • c8.JPG
    c8.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,133
  • c7.JPG
    c7.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,125
  • c6.JPG
    c6.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,128
  • c5.JPG
    c5.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,142
  • c4.JPG
    c4.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,130
  • c3.JPG
    c3.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,144
  • c2.JPG
    c2.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 1,145
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A few more pics for you die hard pit diggers :thumbsup: jgas

Attachments

• c19.JPG
    c19.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,105
  • c20.JPG
    c20.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,110
  • c21.JPG
    c21.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,116
  • c22.JPG
    c22.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,106
  • c18.JPG
    c18.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,126
  • c17.JPG
    c17.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,109
  • c16.JPG
    c16.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,110
  • c15.JPG
    c15.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,122
  • c14.JPG
    c14.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,113
  • c13.JPG
    c13.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,113
  • c23.JPG
    c23.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,102

oldmaps

Aug 11, 2010
al , ms , fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari , ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your mace looking piece is a spill and the pattern name is giant sawtooth made in the 1830's. Not sure of the maker though, they only made three different pieces a tumbler , lamp and a spill in that pattern. A spill is a holder for a twist of paper or a long sliver of wood used to start a fire or light a candle. You guys always manage to find some great stuff.

ottawadigs

May 11, 2011
Ottawa
that is really cool!

I have to ask a newb question here as I'm really curious how you know where to dig in the first place.
I know you use the probe but how do you know where to check? I'm assuming its not random

:icon_thumright:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, great digs. Congradulations....

drgeorge

May 25, 2008
Pálháza
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Int'l)
I'm also curious about the skull--as far as I can tell, it looks like it's had the cap removed as in autopsy or for educational purposes (?). Please post closeups!!!
I saw your previous posts and am curious as to whether you've thought about shoring-up your pits so they don't cave-in on you.....??
Great stuff, congrats!!!!!!!!! :icon_thumright:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Guys. Nothing keeps a Hoosier down, unless you are in a big hole of course. ;D
At least you were able to recover some intact pieces this time. :thumbsup:
-Dug-

RvaDiggn

Jun 13, 2011
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x, F2 Nautlius DMC IIb
Awesome bottles! I hope to find some that old one day, I found a trash pit or privy a few weeks ago while metal detecting the neighbors yard down the street, I did removed a few bottles from the 20's-30's. May go down there in a bit to see if they mind me digg'n it back up. There were still lots of bottles down there.

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great dig from the bowels of the earth jgas :icon_thumleft:

Can't wait to see the next one

allan said:
Is that a skull in pic 14 ? Do you have any insitu pics for it lol ?
The skull is their pit digging mascot if I remember correctly. I've seen him in a few of their other pit digging posts.

ridger12

Apr 4, 2005
Sandy Ridge Pa
Detector(s) used
Minlab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the Brown Bitters bottles. I used to dig quite a bit and found very few bitters. When I did find them they were usually broke. I could never figure that one out. If there are ten ketchup bottles in a privy and one bitters, the bitters is going to be broken.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the replies everyone. :thumbsup:
As for the Skull, it is indeed our Mascot "SkullDuggery"
As for the randomness( if thats a word), sometimes they are random. But mostly its the research of older maps, common sense as to where I would have placed one and blind luck sometimes. Heck I commented to Don that I just needed and old Lawn Jart to toss in the air and it would hit a pit. Well would'nt ya know that Don walked over in the next yard and poked twice with the probe and found a pit that appears to be loaded with glass....We shall see though.
As for shoring up the walls, we have done this in the past but most pits here are 6 feet or so and I am 6'03" tall, so not too worried. Most pits are fairly hard and pretty safe. Not saying that we are not careful though cause it's not worth getting crushed!!! Thanks again all, I appreciate it. jgas

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds as usual guys, keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

oldmaps said:
Your mace looking piece is a spill and the pattern name is giant sawtooth made in the 1830's. Not sure of the maker though, they only made three different pieces a tumbler , lamp and a spill in that pattern. A spill is a holder for a twist of paper or a long sliver of wood used to start a fire or light a candle. You guys always manage to find some great stuff.
Good ID! Several different items were made in the Giant Sawtooth pattern. From goblets to compotes to salt dips to creamers and sugar bowls as well as lamps and spills and tumblers. Many of the approx. 16 glass companies of that era produced it, such as Boston and Sandwich and the New England Glass Co.. It was produced into the latter part of the century (1860's or so) by various other companies that sprang up. :thumbsup:

milk86

Jun 6, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Anyone figure out what pic 15 was the " wagon wheel " looking thing. I found one of those in OK last weekend

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:headbang:
Now that looks like my kind of fun! Nice finds!
Keith

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread