Cool piece of world history

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cross of Honor of the German Mother (German: Ehrenkreuz der deutschen Mutter), but often referred to simply as the Mother's Cross (Mutterkreuz), was an award of the Nazi regime.
This award was instituted on 16 December 1938 as part of Hitler's initiative to encourage Aryan population growth. Only women of German origin qualified for such awards, though women from absorbed Germanic countries and areas (such as Austria, the Sudetenland and Danzig) were also eligible. A mother could be awarded a bronze, silver, or gold cross depending on the number of children she had borne. Eight or more would entitle the woman to a gold cross, six or seven for silver, and four or five for bronze.
The medal was not a permanent award, as mothers stood to be stripped of the Mother's Cross if they proved themselves unworthy through neglect of their children, marital infidelity, or any other social offense.
The crosses were awarded annually on the second Sunday in May (Mothering Sunday), so despite its institution in 1938, the first awards were rendered in May 1939. The last awards were presented in 1944.
The first woman to receive the Cross of Honor of the German Mother was Magda Goebbels, the wife of Nazi Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels. The couple had six children, and Magda was awarded the Silver Medal. In a cruel irony, Magda Goebbels murdered her children on 1 May 1945 before she and her husband committed suicide to avoid capture by Soviet forces in Berlin.

Attachments

• 2011-06-15_19-57-20_751.JPG
    2011-06-15_19-57-20_751.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 865
  • 2011-06-15_19-57-39_970.JPG
    2011-06-15_19-57-39_970.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 864
Upvote 0

rottonr

Aug 17, 2008
Wisconsin
Love the History!!! That would be framed with the information and on display if I found something that great. WTG

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice find :thumbsup:

jeepcj5

Jan 12, 2011
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
Etrac, xterra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome piece, did you dig this??? would love to hear how you came about it.... Congratz!!!

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I dug this across the street from my house. Right under my nose!! :o I have spent several hours traveling and door knocking. Starting to get some results from my efforts. My neighbors are an elderly couple. The other day I walked over and asked them if I could hunt their yard. They said sure. Their house was built in 1908, mine was built in 1969. mostly newer houses in our plat. To my surprise in 3-4 hunts covering about 8 hours I found 43 wheaties, 1 merc., 1 war nickel, and 2 buffs. Then went back a few days later and hunted another part of the yard under a big tree and found the cross 6-15-11 about 3 inches deep. I got a screaming 12/46-47 on the E-Trac, tone sounded like silver, but I usally find clad quarters at these readings. When I dug the target I was rewarded with this cool piece of history. Much better than a clad quarter :laughing7: I'm from Dayton Ohio and this is where it was found, a long way from it's original home country. Thanks for the kind comments and as always HH. Bill

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill:
Can you read the words above the date?
Maybe it's the name of the recipient of the medal?
Maybe the recipient lived in the home on the grounds where you found it.
Have you thought about trying to find then return it to the heirs or relatives of the recipient?
Don.........

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Above the word december is just the number 16. I will eventually talk to my neighbor to see if he knows anything about it.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is really cool. I think it is as least as nice/cool/interesting as the Japanese Imperial Navy badge found in Chicago last year. I vote banner.

DCMatt

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You say the word 'December' is above the number 16; most interesting since the award was given in May.
I wonder what the month represents; and doubt that 16 represents the number of children the recipient has borne. Hopefully, your neighbor can shed some light here.
Don.......

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don 16 Dezember 1938 is when Hitler instituted this award. December is spelled with the "Z" on the cross. that's the significance of that date on the back. They were issued starting in 1939 on "Mothering Day" as the article explains. Thanks for looking. Bill

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what it is all about. Digging History. Wow that is a heck of a find. Found in Ohio. Sweet. :headbang: :notworthy: Congrats.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat history lession. I dug one of those while I was in Germany. Mine was in dug condition though but still good for display. A guy I worked with brought his mothers cross in that was presented to his mother. It was in the original case and he had to be careful not to drawl attention to himself . They are not supposed to show anything with a swastika on it by law.

RandyNorthridgeCa

Mar 27, 2005
Northridge, Calif.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F-75, SE, explorer 2 on beaches), CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a killer find!!! Nice background information too! I'd definitely be displaying that puppy along with your write up about the cross. Shoot! Makes me want to run out and detect ;D. Outstanding!!!

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never knowing what's under our coils is what keeps us swinging them!!! HH

Top Member Reactions