boiled 2.5 years of clad, got 54 Rosie Silver!

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
boiled 2.5 years of clad, got '54 Rosie Silver!

Great night. I finally boiled my two and a half years of clad to get out the dirt, so I could put them in the Coinstar machine (yes, I know it's a waste of 8.9 cents per dollar, but don't have the time to roll right now). I boiled everything in a pot, hoping to find a silver or some other great coin, but no luck. I carefully checked coins to remove those that would likely jam the Coinstar. I went to the supermarket and the first Coinstar jammed after a couple of bucks, because the coins were kind of wet and not going through. So, they were closing and gave me a three dollar refund just to get me out of there. I went to the other supermarket and got that Coinstar whizzing along. After a few minutes I reached into the coins returned tray and see all these foreign coins I didn't put in there, then I see the most amazing site, a 1954 silver Rosie in great shape. What a break! About 30 minutes later, I finish with just over $50 bucks. Not a bad night at all. :-)

Upvote 0

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: boiled 2.5 years of clad, got '54 Rosie Silver!

good story, surprisingly you find a lot of foreign coins around those machines. i always look like a dumbas$ because every time i see one i alway have to look around it.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:D What a deal Bergie! Congrats!!!

Nana ;)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Sweet nothing like silver at the mart.

I had never thought of boiling clad. Work good? If you do boil the clad do you need to keep different types pennies and dimes seperate?

Thanks in advance for response Bergie, been lookin for an easy way to clean up clad without spending too much $$ to do it.

Postalrevnant

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Nice going Bergie. I keep looking but guess someone always beats me to it. I've also tried tapping with a hammer on clad pennies that are a bit too corroded to go through with limited success. Hate to just toss 'em but can't rebury them, ;)

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Postalrevnant,
Boiling it worked well. I had to pour out the "boiled water dirt soup" and then refill it a few times with tap water, swish it around like panning for gold, pour out the dirty water again, repeat a few times. Then when I pulled out the coins, I had to do one last hand cleaning under the tap a few coins at a time to get off some final grit. When you go to the coinstar it will reject many of the coins that look fine, but that seems to be because the machine can only handle so much at a time. If you keep placing the coins that were rejected in the machine over and over again, they will be accepted after a while. I ended up with very few rejected coins. Just look for the bent ones when you are cleaning them so you take out as many as possible then.

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Oh, and use a lousy old pot to boil!!!

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Thank you Bergie. Excellent Idea I will begin boiling the clad.

No worries about the coinstar though. No coinstars are here in poduncsville. I wouldn't expect to see any for a long while either. However, the bank will be very adequate LOL. :)

Great idea thanks again,

Postalrevnant

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL, thats one way to get rid of those clad coins. I use another method.
If any of you would like the recipe, I would be glad to send it to you.

I tumble my clad coins, using a mixture of vinegar and salt. I put the coins
in the tumbler, about 100, put in the mixture of salt and vinegar and pebbles
tumble for about 10 minutes, then wash them off. Put them back in the tumbler
and a squirt of soap and was for another 20 minutes. After taking them out of the
tumbler, I dry them on a towel. I also look for any double strikes. I have found
one, but that's one more than a lot of people have found.

If you would like the complete recipe, e-mail me at [email protected], I would
be glad to send it to you. I got it out of one of the treasure magazines years
ago.

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

I meant to add, the "dirt soup" after you boil the coins is really good. Just add lots of salt and a beef or chicken broth cube.

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound

Bergie said:
I meant to add, the "dirt soup" after you boil the coins is really good. Just add lots of salt and a beef or chicken broth cube.

Post it in the Recipe's Section! LOL

HH 8) surfrat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread