Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scroll down to Page 12 to see the Slave Bracelet in the Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, April 2012 issue. My SAMBO Cap Gun also made the same article. Here is the original post on SAMBO:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ap-gun-1897-before-after-pics.html#msg3016733
'Ole' Sambo didn't make the banner so I was really happy to see it in W&E magazine.

Hey Gang, Two weeks ago I dug what I thought was an old bracelet. At first glance, I thought it was one of those copper arthritis bracelets, so I threw it in my pouch without much of a to-do. After getting home and examining it, I realized it was not 'grannies copper arthritis bracelet.' I posted it on the What Is It forum and got an array of ideas from hog, bull nose rings to key chains. Although several people thought it was a trade bracelet. The link to the original post is listed below.

With so many different opinions, I shelled out a few bucks and had it professionally appraised. The bottom line: It's an African Slave Trade Bracelet circa 1700-1750!!! :headbang:

Here is the appraisal:

I have closely examined the information you have submitted. Thank you for the images and descriptive information. My findings are based on this information.
Your item is a brass slave bracelet from Africa; the bracelet has the "horns" at the end indicative of African slave bracelets. I would date the bracelet C. 1700-1750.
You stated it was found in an area where the Saponi Indians once lived. The Saponi were originally from Virginia and North Carolina, many later relocated to Ontario, Canada, Georgia, Tennessee and Ohio and disappeared from the historical record as a tribe by the end of the 18th century (1700-1750). The interesting facts about the Saponi are that they were at one time classified by some anthropologists as being known as tri-racial isolates. Records have shown that the Saponi had European, African and Native American ancestry in varying degrees, the above mentioned tri-racial groups did settle and create communities in frontier and border areas of the southern states.
The first slaves were brought from Africa to SOUTH Carolina in 1670 and North Carolina did not play a large part in the early slave trade, but North Carolina did rely on slaves for carpentry, masonry, and construction as well as agriculture.
The bracelet is very similar to 18th century African slave bracelets. North Carolina jewelry made by Native American tribes in the 18th century were made out of bone, shells, polished stones, beads, copper, and from brass obtained from white traders. The Saponi would not have had access to metals unless it was a trade to them by the European settlers (not made by the Saponi, but worn by a tribe member).
The value would be between $95.00 and $125.00 in today's retail market. The market comparison approach to value was used which estimates value by comparison with properties sold in the relevant market, with adjustments made for all differences that affect value, such as differences in characteristics of value, in market layer, and in time. The values listed below may vary depending on how and where it is marketed.

Kindest regards,
Joan Whatton
American Society of Appraisers
Jondre` Appraisal Services, LLC

Here's a link to the original post:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=418015.msg2993342#msg2993342

Attachments

• Bracelet1.jpg
    Bracelet1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6,310
  • Bracelet2.jpg
    Bracelet2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 6,234
  • Bracelet3.jpg
    Bracelet3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 6,102
  • Bracelet4.jpg
    Bracelet4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 6,196
  • Bracelet1.jpg
    Bracelet1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6,055
  • Bracelet2.jpg
    Bracelet2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 6,040
  • Bracelet3.jpg
    Bracelet3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 5,982
  • Bracelet4.jpg
    Bracelet4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 5,956
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most unusual find there Breezie, I like something different, congrats to you.
After 34 years I imagine it gets harder to come up with "firsts".

As to what the appraiser said, I would think native americans would have access to metals, lots of native copper around Michigan, and there are copper points to support this idea. Maybe no trade with the carolinas though ?

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW !!!! :headbang: another vote.

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breezie - that is a fantastic find. man, what history on that. banner vote a comin!

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Ms. Breezie, Wonderful find. I am a coin shooter myself and not into relics and artifacts but this is quite the unique find and for the first time EVER, I have voted for your find for the banner. Lets hope it makes it. TMAN...

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that's awesome Breezie! what a great piece of history! :thumbsup:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find, Breezie! :thumbsup: Fascinating piece of history! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

You get my Banner vote. :icon_thumleft:

HH

goldbill

May 6, 2009
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites v3 deus v4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breezie Congratulations on a once in a lifetime, one of a kind find!! I'm more of an observer rather than a participant on this site but if this doesn't make banner than the banner should be removed. congrats again and my vote is in ( if I can figure out how). Goldbill

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! I lost electricity & Internet service today for 9 hours because of Hurricane Irene. I finally get back online to find even more kind words & kudos; thank you for all banner votes and support, but it looks like we didn't make it up there this time, but maybe next time. :thumbsup: ;D Breezie

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldbill said:
Breezie Congratulations on a once in a lifetime, one of a kind find!! I'm more of an observer rather than a participant on this site but if this doesn't make banner than the banner should be removed. congrats again and my vote is in ( if I can figure out how). Goldbill
I agree...the banner has lost all credibility with me. They just put a 16 D Merc up there....which we have seen several of on this forum....How many slave trade bracelets have we seen, or even heard about being found before this? ZILCH, ZERO...Looks like the moderators are coinshooters and not history buffs...Steve

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stevesno said:
goldbill said:
I agree...the banner has lost all credibility with me. They just put a 16 D Merc up there....which we have seen several of on this forum....How many slave trade bracelets have we seen, or even heard about being found before this? ZILCH, ZERO...Looks like the moderators are coinshooters and not history buffs...Steve

Hello Steve,
First of all thank you for your support. If I counted correctly, there were 30 people who said they voted ‘Banner,’ and I certainly appreciate those votes as well as all the other supportive posts.
Perhaps this bracelet didn’t make the banner because there is very little immediate research available to confirm; in other words, there are not 100 pictures of this very same bracelet on Google.
Ivan Salis has brought out a very good point. It is possible this bracelet was made by the Saponi Indians instead of the Africans. In any case it is still a ‘trade’ bracelet, whether the metal was traded or the actual bracelet was traded. The date and rarity of this bracelet would be the same no matter if it was made by an African or made by a Saponi.
Let me share with the members of Tnet the history I know about the area where this bracelet was found,and why I persisted to have it evaluated by a professional.
I dug this bracelet on my property in the backwoods. The Saponi Indians lived on my property and the surrounding properties. By 1754 at least one group of 30 to 40 Saponi Indians had traveled to North Carolina.
I've also researched and compiled over 30 years of genealogy on my family tree. Three out of four of my grandparents were of Native American decent. Between the historical research I've done on my land & county, and the research I've done on genealogy, I've learned quite a bit about the early people and this area. I've posted a tintype photo of my g-grandmother in her Native ensemble. Although this has nothing to do with the topic, I thought I'd share.
So, yes, whether an African or a Saponi made this bracelet, it is still a rare find with significant historical background, at least for me and a number of TNeters.
Again, thank you. ;D
Breezie

Attachments

• SuzieHoggkiller.jpg
    SuzieHoggkiller.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 4,053

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find! I wonder how many of those are dug and discarded thinking it is a piece of wire, i'm sure not all of them come out of the ground perfect and straight. Your research is to be admired, thanks for posting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread