Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scroll down to Page 12 to see the Slave Bracelet in the Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, April 2012 issue. My SAMBO Cap Gun also made the same article. Here is the original post on SAMBO:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ap-gun-1897-before-after-pics.html#msg3016733
'Ole' Sambo didn't make the banner so I was really happy to see it in W&E magazine.

Hey Gang, Two weeks ago I dug what I thought was an old bracelet. At first glance, I thought it was one of those copper arthritis bracelets, so I threw it in my pouch without much of a to-do. After getting home and examining it, I realized it was not 'grannies copper arthritis bracelet.' I posted it on the What Is It forum and got an array of ideas from hog, bull nose rings to key chains. Although several people thought it was a trade bracelet. The link to the original post is listed below.

With so many different opinions, I shelled out a few bucks and had it professionally appraised. The bottom line: It's an African Slave Trade Bracelet circa 1700-1750!!! :headbang:

Here is the appraisal:

I have closely examined the information you have submitted. Thank you for the images and descriptive information. My findings are based on this information.
Your item is a brass slave bracelet from Africa; the bracelet has the "horns" at the end indicative of African slave bracelets. I would date the bracelet C. 1700-1750.
You stated it was found in an area where the Saponi Indians once lived. The Saponi were originally from Virginia and North Carolina, many later relocated to Ontario, Canada, Georgia, Tennessee and Ohio and disappeared from the historical record as a tribe by the end of the 18th century (1700-1750). The interesting facts about the Saponi are that they were at one time classified by some anthropologists as being known as tri-racial isolates. Records have shown that the Saponi had European, African and Native American ancestry in varying degrees, the above mentioned tri-racial groups did settle and create communities in frontier and border areas of the southern states.
The first slaves were brought from Africa to SOUTH Carolina in 1670 and North Carolina did not play a large part in the early slave trade, but North Carolina did rely on slaves for carpentry, masonry, and construction as well as agriculture.
The bracelet is very similar to 18th century African slave bracelets. North Carolina jewelry made by Native American tribes in the 18th century were made out of bone, shells, polished stones, beads, copper, and from brass obtained from white traders. The Saponi would not have had access to metals unless it was a trade to them by the European settlers (not made by the Saponi, but worn by a tribe member).
The value would be between $95.00 and $125.00 in today's retail market. The market comparison approach to value was used which estimates value by comparison with properties sold in the relevant market, with adjustments made for all differences that affect value, such as differences in characteristics of value, in market layer, and in time. The values listed below may vary depending on how and where it is marketed.

Kindest regards,
Joan Whatton
American Society of Appraisers
Jondre` Appraisal Services, LLC

Here's a link to the original post:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=418015.msg2993342#msg2993342

Attachments

• Bracelet1.jpg
    Bracelet1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6,311
  • Bracelet2.jpg
    Bracelet2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 6,234
  • Bracelet3.jpg
    Bracelet3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 6,102
  • Bracelet4.jpg
    Bracelet4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 6,196
  • Bracelet1.jpg
    Bracelet1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6,055
  • Bracelet2.jpg
    Bracelet2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 6,040
  • Bracelet3.jpg
    Bracelet3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 5,982
  • Bracelet4.jpg
    Bracelet4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 5,956
Last edited:
Upvote 18

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
CONGRATS! I just saw you on the BANNER!

Very, very deservedly so too.

It's wonderful how you found it..researched it..got the appraisal..NOW you can get the recognition!

HH Joe

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:

Great Find and BIG congrats on the Banner :icon_thumleft:

SS

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm honored to have the 'trade bracelet' make the banner; my teeth are dry from smiling! LOL THANK YOU again for the support. :hello2: :headbang: Breezie

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breezie, that is just to cool.

Congratulations on your historic find.

This is the best hobby in the world.

We save history.

People who don't understand why we play in the dirt don't know dirt.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
outstanding find. Im Glad it was you and not me or it would still be sitting in a box somewhere. :icon_thumleft:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the banner! You certainly deserve it and the history lesson was the icing on the cake :icon_thumleft:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
breezie * the point I'm trying to get to is this -- the saponi were a "mixed" race tribe -- a tri racial tribe / that lived apart from other folks most often * in remote areas so they could live in peace---the term used for them was tri racial "isolates" ( being racial tolerant and the ideal of racial equality was not a popular ideal in america at that time , so the saponi figgered it was best to live away from the bulk of people in their own little "isolated" communities) --some tribe members were native american indains , some were white (outlaw types mainly), and some african (runaway or freed slaves) they intermarried and mixed freely with one another -- the africans slaves were often skilled craftsmen * and might have made the bracelet similar to the "slave trade bracelets' they knew of. -- thus its a "indain trade bracelet" -most likely made by a saponi tribe member (of african decent ) that was formerly a slave. --that explains the type of design *slave trade bracelet" as well as it being in a " saponi indain camp site / living area"

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Congrat's Breezie. You work hard on your finds as well as others finds too. Nobody deserves it more. :wink: :thumbsup:

goldbill

May 6, 2009
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites v3 deus v4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High fives Breezie :notworthy:.................AS many have said a well deserved banner .......CONGRATULATIONS...........Goldbill

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ivan salis said:
breezie * the point I'm trying to get to is this -- the saponi were a "mixed" race tribe -- a tri racial tribe / that lived apart from other folks most often * in remote areas so they could live in peace---the term used for them was "iso ( being racial tolerance and equality was not a common trait of america at the time , they figger it best to live away from the bulk of people in their own little communities) --some were native american indains , some white (outlaw types mainly), and some african (runaway or freed slaves) -- the african craftsmen being former slaves might have made the bracelet similar to the "slave trade bracelet' they knew of. -- thus its a "indain trade bracelet" -most likely made by a saponi tribe member( of african decent ) that was formerly a slave. --that explains the type of design *slave trade bracelet" as well as it being in a " saponi indain camp site / living area"

Ivan, this is a PERFECT explanation, and I appreciate you posting it for all to see. TNet is such a wonderful place and truly an educational one!

This also helps to explain the mixture of the races of people in this area of NC; Mulatto as well as Melungeons. Of course, this is a highly controversial subject, and there are as many opinions as there are those who have them. In my family tree, and on a 2 census reports my ggrandparents(the one pictured above) listed themselves as Mulatto instead of Indian so they could buy/sell land, etc.
As a side-line discussion, the physical characteristics of my tree of Native Americans must be very dominant since I have about 90% of the physical traits, and am 4 generations down the line. Shovel-back teeth, cranial ridge, eye-fold, facial/nose bone structure, long extremities yet short torso, extra bone in the feet, and I even have the "C" shape (curved bones) pinkie fingers. Some of these same physical characteristics are the same for the Melungeons and Saponi. Anyone who is interested in learning if they have Native American characteristics, feel free to PM me, and I can send you the list & directions on what to look for.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to say something with this much history would have to be worth more than the $95-$125 it was appraised at. Great dig!

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOOHOO....Way to go Breezie! Congrats....And thank you moderators as this is an important historical find.!..Steve

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You always have some great finds but you really out did yourself this time Breezie. Congrats on the BANNER and a very interesting history. Just another reason to go back and look closely at finds in your pouch. WTG, Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread