colonial coin pocket spill

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
well upon request from a few good people i decided to post a colonial copper coin spill i found two saturdays ago . this was found at a cellar site that been detected many time by others and was my second time there .

anyway after a several hours at another spot my buddy and i decided to hit one more site before calling it quits for the day . i hinted at this place as it had alot of area and we were only there one other time and it was very close by.

pocketspillsite.jpg

it was a big center chimney colonial and we found a few buttons last time , well we split up and i was detecting basically alone for about an hour and a half. i started working an area slowly when i got a great high coin sounding target at around 6 inches i was really thinking a nice silver piece and out popped this

3coppersinhand.jpg

i was very excited to see these , but by their dark color i just knew there was morein the hole

6coppersinhand.jpg

three more coppers proved me right , wow now i was really floored .
unable to see what they were because of the thick corrosion but they were large coins and i just assumed they were matron head type large cents. later i found out i was wrong and learned that they were a King George III copper , a New Jersey copper and 4 fugio pennies . a real colonial coin spill and my largest multiple coppers in one hole .

heres what they looked like when they got home

6alluncleaned.jpg

the next job was trying to i.d. the varieties and then tackling the job of cleaning them. well after almost two weeks they are nearly there .

heres a some pictures of them individually
the 1774 King George III
1774machinmillsfront1.jpg

1774machinmillsreverse1.jpg

the 1788 New Jersey copper
newjerseyfront1.jpg

newjerseyreverse1.jpg

a clubed ray fugio
fugioclubrayobverse1.jpg

another fugio
newman9varietyfugiofront1.jpg

third fugio
unknownvarietyfugiofront1.jpg

last fugio
fugiowithflawedplanchetobverse1.jpg

if any one can tell the varieties as i'm a little confused on two of the fugios it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks all for the nice comments on the other forums .

Dan

Attachments

• 6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,991
  • 6 all uncleaned.JPG
    6 all uncleaned.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,913
  • 6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,936
Upvote 34

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
talk about a home run! thats a grand slam! outstanding!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
This should have been on top a long time ago. I don't think everyone know that in order to vote for banner, you have to click on the Nominate Banner under the original finder's name on the left. If you don't vote, it doesn't count.

And a handful of Banner-worthy coins from the same hole DEFINATELY counts as a banner find! WOO-HOO!

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
without question, I click the banner button. That's amazing, some of those coppers cleaned up really nice. A colonial coin spill is one thing, but the condition they are in is awesome, great dig. I wonder how long they were in the ground waiting for you.

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yah ,thats banner worthy....nice detail for dug coins...copper against copper probably helped preserve them.....congrats..

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Truly a remarkable find! Congrats on a one in a million find!

Don

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing find......!!! Congrats

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
I hate to be picky Jim, But "Picky" counts here. It's NOT the coin you have pictured. The one you have is a Vlack 8-74, he has a Vlack 3-74. Although the reverses are the same for ALL 3, 1774 Machin Mills coins, the obverses are ALL different. Take a closer look and you will see the difference. Also....coinfacts does not have an illustrated Vlack 3-74 and niether does Breens. If you click on the link I have in a previous post, it will take you to a Vlack 3-74 example. Just follow the charting and you will see it. Hogge

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
Deepdiger60 said:
I hate to be picky Jim, But "Picky" counts here. It's NOT the coin you have pictured. The one you have is a Vlack 8-74, he has a Vlack 3-74. Although the reverses are the same for ALL 3, 1774 Machin Mills coins, the obverses are ALL different. Take a closer look and you will see the difference. Also....coinfacts does not have an illustrated Vlack 3-74 and niether does Breens. If you click on the link I have in a previous post, it will take you to a Vlack 3-74 example. Just follow the charting and you will see it. Hogge

I didn't say it, and glad i didn't because I would have been very wrong, but when I thought I had seen and ruled out all three, in the back of my mind i thought new variety, or a mule. Imagine the cash something like that would bring. It was a nice thought but I know 99.999% of the time there's a logical answer so I was just waiting for the 3-74 pic to be posted because figured I was mistaken and did not see it.... and that turned out to be the case. But new stuff is still discovered so there's always a chance!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:
Deepdiger60 said:

I didn't say it, and glad i didn't because I would have been very wrong, but when I thought I had seen and ruled out all three, in the back of my mind i thought new variety, or a mule. Imagine the cash something like that would bring. It was a nice thought but I know 99.999% of the time there's a logical answer so I was just waiting for the 3-74 pic to be posted because figured I was mistaken and did not see it.... and that turned out to be the case. But new stuff is still discovered so there's always a chance!
YEP....Would have been HUGE $. Too bad it didn't have a backwards "S" on it! :laughing9:

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner Banner Banner, Is this a great hobby or what?

Congratulations of a fantastic old spill.

If only those coins could talk.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK i see it i think , you guys are the experts the difference is sometimes imposable to see :read2:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job! You've also done a fantastic job cleaning them. I'm always curious the technique someone uses to clean coins like this. Would you mind sharing that with us? Thanks!

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
thanks you all very much for the help and banner nominations , i'll try to answer all questions tomarro and post a few more pictures , unfortunately have to go to work (3rd shift).see ytou in the morning

thanks again

Dan

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
There is nothing that I can say that has not already been said. Not even my find and this post will be on my mind for a while :notworthy:

I dream of a coin spill like this...... BANNER !

VPR

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SWEET :headbang: Congrats...those are beautiful old coins and that is the kind of pocket spill we all want!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread