colonial coin pocket spill

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
well upon request from a few good people i decided to post a colonial copper coin spill i found two saturdays ago . this was found at a cellar site that been detected many time by others and was my second time there .

anyway after a several hours at another spot my buddy and i decided to hit one more site before calling it quits for the day . i hinted at this place as it had alot of area and we were only there one other time and it was very close by.

pocketspillsite.jpg

it was a big center chimney colonial and we found a few buttons last time , well we split up and i was detecting basically alone for about an hour and a half. i started working an area slowly when i got a great high coin sounding target at around 6 inches i was really thinking a nice silver piece and out popped this

3coppersinhand.jpg

i was very excited to see these , but by their dark color i just knew there was morein the hole

6coppersinhand.jpg

three more coppers proved me right , wow now i was really floored .
unable to see what they were because of the thick corrosion but they were large coins and i just assumed they were matron head type large cents. later i found out i was wrong and learned that they were a King George III copper , a New Jersey copper and 4 fugio pennies . a real colonial coin spill and my largest multiple coppers in one hole .

heres what they looked like when they got home

6alluncleaned.jpg

the next job was trying to i.d. the varieties and then tackling the job of cleaning them. well after almost two weeks they are nearly there .

heres a some pictures of them individually
the 1774 King George III
1774machinmillsfront1.jpg

1774machinmillsreverse1.jpg

the 1788 New Jersey copper
newjerseyfront1.jpg

newjerseyreverse1.jpg

a clubed ray fugio
fugioclubrayobverse1.jpg

another fugio
newman9varietyfugiofront1.jpg

third fugio
unknownvarietyfugiofront1.jpg

last fugio
fugiowithflawedplanchetobverse1.jpg

if any one can tell the varieties as i'm a little confused on two of the fugios it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks all for the nice comments on the other forums .

Dan

Attachments

• 6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,991
  • 6 all uncleaned.JPG
    6 all uncleaned.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,913
    6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,936
Upvote 34

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe the condition of those coins - and to have a rare one on top of that - its already been said - but I'll say it again - BANNER! :notworthy:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i wish i was out with u guys that day..woulda loved to see you pulling those! awesome job cleaning them Dan! a well deserved treat! hiking and research does pay off huh bud?

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Fantastic find for sure!! I would have been happy if it was only a bunch of common KG coppers, but to find the coins you found???? AMAZING!!!

I agree this needs to be up on top. We don't see enough colonial stuff up there!

Congratulations!
Neil

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find Dan, that is something all of us could dream to find and you did it. I only ever found multipe Colonials in the same hole a couple times so I know I would be very excited to have that many together in one dig! Some nice coppers there and glad you posted this banner worthy find. Kudos!

Don

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Awesome, another banner vote here :icon_thumleft:

Would also love to hear how you cleaned them.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 is good, a bunch is better :hello2:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Wow, Congrats on the Awesome Find(s), :headbang: !

TommNJ

wstgo

May 3, 2011
Canastota, New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
will have to look at my book but as far as I can tell you have fugios with "clubbed rays" which are worth more then the normal rays. will look when I get home from work. Can you show the backs of the fugios?Nice!

MICHIGANJAY

Dec 28, 2006
MI
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT, Equinox, Excal. 10, Ultra 1000
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice !!! That is definitely a dream find!!! Who knows...there might be other "honey-holes" in the region!!!

Keep it Up ! M.J.

foundation hunter

Jun 2, 2009
Terryville
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Banner!!!!!!!!!! I dont know why its not up top,how often does this happen and 4 Fugio coppers to boot.That just dosent happen every day.
Great Find Gary

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
here are the fugio's fronts then reverses ,

the club ray variety , with "United States" around "we are one" what do you guys think newman 4-E variety???
fugioclubrayobverse1.jpg

clubedrayfugioback.jpg

the front of this looks like a Newman 15 because of the die crack to the lower right of sundial base. but the revers i'm unsure about and the pitting doesn't help , any ideas ???
newman9varietyfugiofront1.jpg

n15reverse1.jpg

the front looks like it was struck on a bad planchet so it makes the i'ding a challenge.
fugiowithflawedplanchetobverse1.jpg

fugiowithflawedplanchetreverse1.jpg

and the last one
unknownvarietyfugiofront1.jpg

fugioback.jpg

the tools i use to clean these coins was very little hot peroxide , a good heat lamp , some toothpicks and alot of patience . thank you all for the very nice comments and pm's i've recieved , there really appreciated.

Dan

Attachments

6 mostly cleaned 1.1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,092

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions