My Best Find of the Year...Big Colonial Silver!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, just got back in from the field. I had exactly 90 minutes this afternoon to detect while Little Romeo-1 had his afternoon nap. I couldn't go far so I hit the site right beside my house. I've hunted this site for years and it always seems to produce. This is the site where Iron Horse and I spent a day and where I found the cut Spanish 2 reale. I told my wife that I would be home as soon as I found "old silver" or 4:30...whatever came first. Well, I was home at 4:00! I was roaming around the field with only a French sized musketball and a harness buckle to show for when I decided to crank up the discrimination. I just cranked it as hot as it would go without driving me insane and this was the target I hit.

I hate posting before I know exactly what I've found but it is a 1722 French Sol silver! I'm not sure of the exact denomination but it is much larger than the previous French silvers I've found. I'm sure IronPatch can tell me...bigger than a US quarter.

Without a doubt my find of the year!

Attachments

• DSCF0094.JPG
    DSCF0094.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 6,686
  • DSCF0097.JPG
    DSCF0097.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 6,673
  • DSCF0105.JPG
    DSCF0105.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 6,686
  • DSCF0102.JPG
    DSCF0102.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 6,689
  • DSCF0115.JPG
    DSCF0115.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 6,646
  • DSCF0119.JPG
    DSCF0119.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 6,655
Upvote 10
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
ironhorse said:
it,s nice to know I had a shot at that one, wow, nice old coin buddy!

ps I'm coming back for it's mate

Open invitation...but I've got a couple more sites lined up so just let me know when you're coming...and feel free to bring our lucky rabbits foot, IronPatch! ;D

Hey, I'm building it up for a great one! So when you see the title "RABBIT FOOT SMACKDOWN" <<<< remember it :laughing7: you'll know I finally found it! I'm actually doing a little research right now to give myself that chance.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Nice old old old Silver, Congrats :headbang: !

TommNJ

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
ironhorse said:

Open invitation...but I've got a couple more sites lined up so just let me know when you're coming...and feel free to bring our lucky rabbits foot, IronPatch! ;D

Hey, I'm building it up for a great one! So when you see the title "RABBIT FOOT SMACKDOWN" <<<< remember it :laughing7: you'll know I finally found it! I'm actually doing a little research right now to give myself that chance.

What you need is some new soil...Romeotopia soil!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o
You found a very good coin .... I vote banner! :thumbsup:
H

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's just a sweet looking find! :icon_thumright: Just what I needed to get me revved up for tomorrow. It's crazy what can be so close to home.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunthicks said:
Now that's just a sweet looking find! :icon_thumright: Just what I needed to get me revved up for tomorrow. It's crazy what can be so close to home.

I know...I was at the point of writing this site off as "hunted out"...now it's going to be my "go to" site again...at least for a while.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your find romeo-1! :hello2:
I'm voting BANNER for that one! :thumbsup:

Dave

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Such a beautiful Coin :o
Congratulations !
This French silver should be up top, add 1 more vote :hello2:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
ironhorse said:

Romeotopia rocks, I'll give you fair warning before we roll into town

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all let me just say I hate you.. ;D
That is in great shape there, doesn't get much better for early french, hmmmm then again I expected you to pull something at least 100 years older than that but that would get my blood flowing... your so lucky to have them litterally in your back yard... Great save :notworthy:

Banner

TITUS1ER

Apr 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
superbe :icon_thumright:
Louis XV, 1/12éme Ecu de France

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin. I love the Fleur-de-lis on the coin. That would be my find ofthe year. :thumbsup: Congrats.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy: HOLY FRIJOLIES!! AMAZING FIND! Can you say BANNER! :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
It doesn't get much better then that for French silver!

1/3 ECU (little over 8 grams - .917 silver) minted in Tours, France. A little value too being in nice condition.

Sweet! Thanks for the ID. I was just commenting in your thread earlier today how it's been kind of blah due to lack of time...and this was waiting for me within a stone's throw of my front door. Something to be said for hunting old grounds with different detector settings!

This was deep as well...probably 10 inches. I almost didn't dig because it wasn't really a consistent signal...may have been on it's side.

Anywhere there is a lot of iron/trash it really prolongs the life of the site. I'd bet even as smoked as the little RP site was, now that it has been plowed a time or two there's probably an easy button find waiting for the first person to spend 20 minutes there. I have another spot, in fact my best for Rev War pewter and I don't think I've swung over it in 5 years. (and obviously you never have) I have a pretty good feeling one or two could be waiting there as well. Then there's the 3rd American field... plowed and ready to go, just too muddy right now... and the other 3rd American, the one we looked at for years finally has a crop this year and will be good to hunt. Digging new sites is still at the top of our list but the time will come at some point that we'll have to walk down to one of the old sites and dig a Rev War pewter.

The time sure flies. I haven't been at any of those sites since you dug the belt plate and that must be like three years ago. Some sites it was 2-3 years before that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread