My Best Find of the Year...Big Colonial Silver!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, just got back in from the field. I had exactly 90 minutes this afternoon to detect while Little Romeo-1 had his afternoon nap. I couldn't go far so I hit the site right beside my house. I've hunted this site for years and it always seems to produce. This is the site where Iron Horse and I spent a day and where I found the cut Spanish 2 reale. I told my wife that I would be home as soon as I found "old silver" or 4:30...whatever came first. Well, I was home at 4:00! I was roaming around the field with only a French sized musketball and a harness buckle to show for when I decided to crank up the discrimination. I just cranked it as hot as it would go without driving me insane and this was the target I hit.

I hate posting before I know exactly what I've found but it is a 1722 French Sol silver! I'm not sure of the exact denomination but it is much larger than the previous French silvers I've found. I'm sure IronPatch can tell me...bigger than a US quarter.

Without a doubt my find of the year!

Attachments

• DSCF0094.JPG
    DSCF0094.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 6,686
  • DSCF0097.JPG
    DSCF0097.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 6,673
  • DSCF0105.JPG
    DSCF0105.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 6,686
  • DSCF0102.JPG
    DSCF0102.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 6,689
  • DSCF0115.JPG
    DSCF0115.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 6,646
  • DSCF0119.JPG
    DSCF0119.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 6,655
Upvote 10

KyFreeBird

Mar 21, 2009
:hello: :icon_thumleft: Congradulations !!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful coin !!!!!!!!!!!! Let me know if you want to sell it ;D !!!!!! I'm not kidding !!!!!!!!!!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice to see your French coin up top!
Something a little different :wink:
I was wondering where all the votes were when I posted yesterday...
Nice job on a superb piece of Silver ;D

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hans R Dirty said:
That's one heck of a rare find. I bet you near shat a brick (grin). I would have. Congrates Romeo.

Yep...it was a very welcome surprise from a very hunted site...a site I plan to spend a couple hours on tomorrow as well. Easy on gas money...outside my back door and 100 feet to the pasture gate! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leslie(nova scotia) said:
From the land of the Bluenose....that is indeed sweet. Congrats!

Thanks Les...off for another couple hours.

Hans R Dirty

Nov 25, 2009
romeo-1 said:
Hans R Dirty said:
That's one heck of a rare find. I bet you near shat a brick (grin). I would have. Congrates Romeo.

Yep...it was a very welcome surprise from a very hunted site...a site I plan to spend a couple hours on tomorrow as well. Easy on gas money...outside my back door and 100 feet to the pasture gate! :icon_thumright:

We are moving next spring. And detecting will play a part for our new location. Rural area for sure, I always wanted a big back yard.(grin)

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hans R Dirty said:
romeo-1 said:
Hans R Dirty said:

We are moving next spring. And detecting will play a part for our new location. Rural area for sure, I always wanted a big back yard.(grin)

Don't tell the wife but when we moved last year detecting was huge in the decision making process. I now live an hour's drive from work but 10 minutes to the oldest settled area in North America...good trade off!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That is a great find.

Nice old piece of silver. Didn't circulate to much.

HH Jer

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was back there yesterday and got skunked with the exception of a musket ball and a 1908 LC...I'll sit on it for a while and then try again. It's a great back-up field but there are new sites just opening...fresh sites!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YEAH BABY !!

That has PQ eye appeal, nice surfaces, like it came out of someone's collection.

Fun to find off the end of your doorstep I wager to guess.

Couple of post up you mention the decision to move based on tectin' , can't say that surprises me. Actually though you had changed work locals.

Good luck out there.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Romeo I haven't been signed on alot in the last 3 weeks, just clicked on this one up top and saw it was yours!! Congrats my friend, that's a BEAUTY and looks terrific up there on the Banner! :occasion14: :occasion14:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great find--congratulations.

All the best,

Lanny

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GORGEOUS! what a day!

Whitebeard

Nov 20, 2011
Higher-North-Shore Qc.
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! this is something I would like to find, found a french sword on banks of St.Lawrence a few years back dating from 1700's with gold inlay near pommel (pommel missing) should be posting it on "trading post" section in a week or so with info I found on it.

Whitebeard

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one beautiful coin :notworthy:

You know they were bummed to lose that :laughing7: