I cannot believe it, got home and...... another one! Gold Tremissis !

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I went back to the area where I found the Tremissis from Dorestad. I was planning on searching the field next to it if the corn was off. Turning off a main road onto a very small village road I saw my farmer, he was seeding another field with grass seed. He stopped and I got out and went to him, giving him a sack with a couple cabbages (they are really great) that I received from yet another farmer, he gave me a sack with about 30 of them, and it almost broke my back getting them into the car.

Well anyway, asked him who owned the land next to the Tremissis field and he told me, Oh Yea I know him, I searched another field further up the road back in the spring which he owned (found nothing but bad old copper coins). So turned around and went back a few miles to his farm, he was not home and I could not find him, so was writing him a note when he appeared. No problem about searching, so I drove back to the field. I forgot my camera again, but going back tomorrow and will add a couple. So started searching yesterday and although I found a few coins but not much more until I got a beep and out popped a neat silver button, an old one.

So today decided to return, if a neat silver button is there I should find more. And I did, a few copper coins and other stuff. While digging that stuff out I found a small coin, I thought it was a silver 10 cent piece from the 20th century, they were tiny. So put it in a separate bag and when I got home dumped everything in the water, and opened up the bag to clean the coin. I was shocked, ANOTHER Tremissis!! Amazed at this I called my wife to look (I think I thought I was seeing things!) and she agreed. ANOTHER...

So took some photos, which I will share with you. I have not cleaned the coin, and I don't think I will. Maybe have it professionally cleaned, its just too valuable. I have seen some of the prices for these coins and they are high, and I don't want to mess the coin up, although you cannot mess up gold very easy.

This was an unique experience, I don't think I will ever be able to do this again, just finding one is a find of your life, but two.... (PS: I only have one life).

Attachments

• First Day finds.JPG
    First Day finds.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 4,294
  • First Day button.jpg
    First Day button.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 4,219
  • 2nd Tremissis.jpg
    2nd Tremissis.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 4,335
  • Both Tremisises.jpg
    Both Tremisises.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 4,408
Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
birdman said:
Very well deserved banner find! Man I need to move across the pond.. :headbang:
Birdman, well don't forget to bring your detector, and a full pocketbook, things are much more expensive than in the USA!

Yes, the finds here in Europe are different than in the US. Old US/English coins (200-300 years old) are cherished and very much wanted in the USA, and very valuable.
Here modern coins and objects (later than say later than 1680) are collected, but mostly people want things that are earlier. When I go search I am only looking for finds older than 1700. The other finds I do collect them, but they all (well say 99%) end up in my sort of rubbish bin (well not so bad, have two, one for the good rubbish, and one for the bad)...

Coins like this one, well they are almost never found here. Sometimes a Roman coin, or Celtic, but very old ones.... seldom. I guess that is not only Holland, but the whole of Europe. Don't forget, there were many many fewer people living here in those years, and they were scattered thinly all around here. Coins, especially gold, were only for trade or rich people, the poor had none or only copper ones. Trading was done very much for most things, food, cows, sheep, girls and wifes.

I have only searched in the USA once for a few hours with an old detector. My best find was a cent that I found on a hill in back of our old ranch (I was born and raised in California). We used to play on that hill, so one of us must have dropped it (you know back then we kids only had pennies)...

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
I love this period, so comical really. The faces look more cartoon type, they are trying to copy the Roman heads but lacked the skill that the Roman's had in getting an almost portrait quality face. Technology/skills took a dive for hundreds of years, very interesting really :icon_thumright: Even in the later Medieval period things were still fairly crude, & has a charm of its own :headbang:
I agree, I love the old stuff, not only coins, but the early objects also. They are like you say, crude, but really have much charm to them. I love the horses on the Celtic, pity that I have only found one half unit from silver until now. I think the Celtic tribe was way ahead of the others with their art, and I do think it was ART. The Roman coins are like you say much more sophisticated and fine, I like the Celtic much better.

Sometime you find objects (mainly gold), which were created a long long time ago and really wonder how they ever made that back then, so fine, so delicate.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stewmac said:
CRUSADER said:
Stewmac said:
Absolutely astounding find/finds congrats thats a chance of a lifetime. Beautiful coin :o......Banner all the way.
Welcome to Tnet :hello:
You have great taste :thumbsup:
Thanks Cru been watching quietly for a year or so your finds are amazing too mate hope i can get some of your (was going to say luck but its not) experiences in the future. Cheers again mate :thumbsup:
Welcome here also Stewmac, glad to have you join in. Yes, one tremissis is a find of a lifetime, two in a few days, and apart, that is special. I have found three in total now, lucky.
Glasgow, well there must be much old stuff in your area, just keep searching and learning, it will come in the end. I always say 'make meters' or in your case 'make yards', many many many yards and you will find it!

Adding a photo of my first Trimissis, found about 20 years ago.

Attachments

• tremissis garoaldus mainz 440ad-1_resize.jpg
    tremissis garoaldus mainz 440ad-1_resize.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 2,646
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Outstanding!!!
Thanks much Romeo.... BTW where is Romeotopia ???

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOODY50 said:
CRUSADER said:
I love this period, so comical really. The faces look more cartoon type, they are trying to copy the Roman heads but lacked the skill that the Roman's had in getting an almost portrait quality face. Technology/skills took a dive for hundreds of years, very interesting really :icon_thumright: Even in the later Medieval period things were still fairly crude, & has a charm of its own :headbang:
I agree, I love the old stuff, not only coins, but the early objects also. They are like you say, crude, but really have much charm to them. I love the horses on the Celtic, pity that I have only found one half unit from silver until now. I think the Celtic tribe was way ahead of the others with their art, and I do think it was ART. The Roman coins are like you say much more sophisticated and fine, I like the Celtic much better.

Sometime you find objects (mainly gold), which were created a long long time ago and really wonder how they ever made that back then, so fine, so delicate.

I prefer Celtic over Roman & can split hairs with Viking/Saxon with Celtic :thumbsup:
The British Celtic/Iron Age people were some of the fineness Goldsmiths/craftsmen is Europe at the time, the Roman's came in & used their skill to mass produce jewelry etc.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kane23 said:
Woody,
Way to go! Maybe there is a hoard near bye? How was your trip to California? Kane23
Hi Kane, been a time since we wrote each other...! No hoard, but I wish there was. Well I say that but don't know for sure, but those were the only two old things I saw or found there. I think losses via a pocket or shirt, while walking or riding a horse back then over the land. I don't think it was from the people living there... But who knows. If another ever turns up, or something about that age, well who knows then.

California, wow, back in 2009. I really messed up, really! Had my metal detector all ready to take with me, and in the rush to get everything done, forgot to pack it in my suitcase!.. Was on the plane over the Atlantic when I though about it. Damx! Stayed about two months traveling from Oregon (Portland area) to San Francisco, Sacramento, Morro Bay, Bakersfield and on to Lancaster/Palmdale where we stayed for about two months. Great trip, saw much, meet my family again, and of course filled up my suitcase(s) - then two - with all my goodies. Prices of things are soooo cheap by you guys!

My wife flew back home (she missed her son and cats!) a few weeks before I did, so I then (FINALLY) could borrow a detector and do some digging! But the detector that I could borrow was not much at all what I was used to, something about 10-15 years old. I am used to the modern machines, turn on and run, well this was maybe older. So many knobs and buttons.... well did not understand much about how to use it, but did find a number of finds at our old ranch, a very old iron (hotplate type) - that had to belong to my Grandmother, she lived on that spot, and other small finds.

One thing that I did find, which I cherish, is an auto radiator emblem from my Grandfathers 1925 Jewett auto, a bit damaged but still nice. He junked the car in the late 40's, the remains of it are still in a ravine (dump) near the ranch. Would like to dig it out, along with a model T, but there are so many rattlesnakes and black widows there that I don't dare, plus have to hire a truck to remove all the other junk. Also just don't have the time. He is a photo of a 1925 Jewett.

I really enjoyed the desert again, I sure miss it here in the wet, cloudy, rainy and darn cold Holland. But my life is here now, so accept it.

Attachments

• Jewett badge_resize.jpg
    Jewett badge_resize.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2,561
  • Jewett auto.jpg
    Jewett auto.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,556
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
CRUSADER said:
What more can one add. It was a great story, almost unbelievable, as 1 is any serious European searchers top dream coin, 2 is :dontknow:
SS, said it all.
Hispan knows where it's at, plus others...
In fact we all should, becuase it should be up there, as you would need to find a gold 8 escudos coin from the 17th Century on land to come anywhere close to this, even then, this would win. Pretty sure that would be up there like the other gold sea found one in an instant before votes & before 10 posts. :thumbsup:
PS. For those that don't know the finder is from the USA :headbang:
yes, the hunter born in USA, but is a citizen of the world like me .... :thumbsup:
Two tremissis in the same area is treasure or bag , found only ten similar coins ,WOODY this could stop working for some years.
CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE BANNER! :hello2:

Yea, born on the Mojave Desert, which I really miss. Darn I miss the desert! Anyway, thanks very much Hispan for the Congratulations! My first Banner, feels nice.

I have now searched in USA, Poland, Serbia, Bulgaria, Germany, Holland, France, England and Belgium, so I guess I am an international searcher now. Lived in California, Texas, South Carolina, Washington D.C., Frankfurt, Siagon, Naha (Okinawa) and Holland, so I guess I am also a internalional citizen too.... Pity I learned about detecting so late in life though.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steelheadwill said:
I Missed this one :o
Congratulations on these stunning coins !
Banner & Best of Tnet without a doubt :wink:
I'll bet you are out now looking for the rest of them :wink:
Hi steelheadwill, Thanks for the compliments, I am very happy with both of them too.
Yes, I went back and searched again, but almost nothing, a couple of bad copper coins. So leaving it alone (well its seeded now so have to) until the spring or next fall. Who knows, but I have the feeling it won't happen again. I got a chill when I realized (at home) that I have found ANOTHER. Really wierd to find a second such rare coin, and that only a few days apart on an other field!

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Congrats on the Banner. :hello2: :headbang: :hello:
Yea RPG, thanks to all of you who voted for it. Just great!

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Wow WOODY, I missed your first post but after reading, I'd say you've done the impossible. :headbang:
I'm a little confused. On the original post i only saw 3, maybe 4 confirmed banner votes. :icon_scratch: I would think something as rare as a gold tremissis would get more. :dontknow:
I'm adding my vote now. Would love to see this, among others, up there. :hello:
Hi RPG (again). Yes the impossible, I agree. That is why I was not looking for it, and just put the small coin into a bag to clean up later. If I had looked at it really close I would have jumped up and down and kept searching until it got dark, but soon after finding it I searched for another hour and went home.

I don't know how you saw the banner votes, if you are not a modulator. Maybe you are, I don't know them all. If not, how do you see them?
Yes they are rare, very rare, the tremissis. Although in my 27 years of searching I have found 3 now. So that is not impossible, but finding two in one day seems almost non-existant.
Thanks also for voting, its up there now thanks to my friends here!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
WOODY,Just can't imagine what it would be like to see one of those in the bottom of the hole!!!!!!!!!!!Congrats on BANNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless HH Chris

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
What more can one add. It was a great story, almost unbelievable, as 1 is any serious European searchers top dream coin, 2 is :dontknow:
SS, said it all.
Hispan knows where it's at, plus others...
In fact we all should, becuase it should be up there, as you would need to find a gold 8 escudos coin from the 17th Century on land to come anywhere close to this, even then, this would win. Pretty sure that would be up there like the other gold sea found one in an instant before votes & before 10 posts. :thumbsup:
PS. For those that don't know the finder is from the USA :headbang:
Thanks Cru, yes almost unbelievable. Since I have found quite a few gold coins, quite a few nice- very very nice- objects, well it does not shake me out of my boots to find one anymore. But I did get a chill while cleaning my daily finds in the kitchen sink (Yes, my wife was upstairs) and opened up the sack, the coin fell into my hand, cross side up and the chills or rills started. OMG, and some other words came out too. For me unbelievable and sooooo unexpected. I did not fall into sleep when my head hit the cushion at night as normally happens, took some time to relax I guess.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
worldtalker said:
WOODY,Just can't imagine what it would be like to see one of those in the bottom of the hole!!!!!!!!!!!Congrats on BANNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless HH Chris
Thanks worldtalker, but that did not happen. The coin is too small really to see at the bottom of the hole here anyway, the holes where I was digging were very muddy, and filled with so much water and mud I could not even see it at the bottom if I wanted too. No, the first one came out of a clump of ground, made smaller little by little until it was in the last clump, tiny. I knew what that was, a very old coin right away, although did not know what it was. And not the gold part, I though at first it was just silver, because I only saw a silver color, and gold is yellow? I did not know about the gold they call 'pale gold' at that time, had to google "pale gold" before I knew it existed.

The second one, as I mentioned in other comments, well I was totally not expecting it, and just put the muddy thing in a sack. Do that with all the small finds, coins or otherwise.

But a nice feeling, warm. Thanks for your comments!

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
Rare finds indeed !! from what i read about near imposable finds, excellent notworthy That has to make BANNER this time thumbsup Jim
Thanks Jim, yes it made the banner! Thanks for your support.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In case someone missed it in my first post, I am adding the gold color chart, it is interesting.

Attachments

• 350px-Ag-Au-Cu-colours-english_svg.png
    350px-Ag-Au-Cu-colours-english_svg.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,776
  • 350px-Ag-Au-Cu-colours-english_svg.png
    350px-Ag-Au-Cu-colours-english_svg.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,769
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
cntrydncr1 said:
congrats on the gold coin!! I like the button too! We all know how hard it is to make the banner for a find from other countries because those here do not know the scarcity of the items! you got my vote!
:icon_scratch:
I have seen stuff put on the Banner with out hardly any votes going in :icon_scratch: these coins are about as rare as you can find in Europe, to find two....well you do the Maths :o This deserves a Banner place, with out doubt.
Our own English Gold Thrymsas were based on these early coins, Initially, these coins were copies of gold Merovingian (Frankish) types, some of which had found their way to this country through commerce and tribute. The Merovingian kings had struck gold tremisses and small silver coins known as sceats, their designs derived from standard forms of Roman coin. The first coins struck in Anglo-Saxon England were gold coins of a type similar to that of the tremisses. Gold Anglo-Saxon thrymsas and Merovingian tremisses are EXTREMELY RARE.
I think this one is yours Earl :icon_thumleft:, although the spiked hair is not visible on the second coin, it could be hiding under the crud :dontknow: If it isn't there, then it could be a new recording, as I have not seen one with out spiked hair.
'DORESTATE / MAELINVS' Gold Tremissis
Gold, 1.05 grams, 13.66 mm. Circa mid 7th century AD. Obverse: spiked linear hair with pellet ends, bust right with legend DREST[AT] FIT being an abbreviation for DREST[AT] FECIT. Reverse: cross on a single step with legend MAA ELINVS M for the moneyer named Maelinus. The location of the mint is Wijk-bij-Duurstede (Dorestat) in Holland
SS :notworthy:
Hi SS. I answered the spiked hair comment a little earlier, I think you have seen it. I started answering comment from the bottom up, stupid now that I think of that. So sometimes an answer or my comment is not in the good place. Hope you understant, next time top down answers.

Anyway, yes there is faint hair showing, and the crud is there. It is not a patina the crud, reminds me of something shellac.... but what exactly it is I don't know. Tried some unharmfull things to get it off the first one, lemon juice did do a somewhat improvement, but maybe that was dirt. I tried the lemon juice and a few other things, what worked was soda and aluminum foil with a bit of warm water, the crud just disappeared.

About the coin the coin in the photo below is said to be an original Maelinus coin, others followed later. I don't really like the word imitations, I think that after Maelinus died (or stopped) others created the coins, using the same ideas that are shown in the original coin. Just like they did in the silver pennies in England, kept the idea of the coin, but only changed a name of the moneymaker and maybe a bit on the face. There are thousands of english pennies which all look alike. Only in these coins the same name is used, which makes me then wonder if I am right.

There was a link to a photo the other day to one which was found in West Yorkshire, maybe it was from you. So they really traveled, the coins...!

Dorestad was interesting history, although I could not find very much good history. Have to look further I guess.

Attachments

• Frankish_gold_Tremissis_issued_by_minter_Madelinus_Dorestad_the_Netherlands_mid_600s_resize.jpg
    Frankish_gold_Tremissis_issued_by_minter_Madelinus_Dorestad_the_Netherlands_mid_600s_resize.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 2,708
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cntrydncr1 said:
congrats on the gold coin!! I like the button too! We all know how hard it is to make the banner for a find from other countries because those here do not know the scarcity of the items! you got my vote!
Thanks Country Dancer 1 (at least I think it could be!). Yea, the silver button is the nicest that I have found so far. Thanks for your vote!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread