I cannot believe it, got home and...... another one! Gold Tremissis !

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I went back to the area where I found the Tremissis from Dorestad. I was planning on searching the field next to it if the corn was off. Turning off a main road onto a very small village road I saw my farmer, he was seeding another field with grass seed. He stopped and I got out and went to him, giving him a sack with a couple cabbages (they are really great) that I received from yet another farmer, he gave me a sack with about 30 of them, and it almost broke my back getting them into the car.

Well anyway, asked him who owned the land next to the Tremissis field and he told me, Oh Yea I know him, I searched another field further up the road back in the spring which he owned (found nothing but bad old copper coins). So turned around and went back a few miles to his farm, he was not home and I could not find him, so was writing him a note when he appeared. No problem about searching, so I drove back to the field. I forgot my camera again, but going back tomorrow and will add a couple. So started searching yesterday and although I found a few coins but not much more until I got a beep and out popped a neat silver button, an old one.

So today decided to return, if a neat silver button is there I should find more. And I did, a few copper coins and other stuff. While digging that stuff out I found a small coin, I thought it was a silver 10 cent piece from the 20th century, they were tiny. So put it in a separate bag and when I got home dumped everything in the water, and opened up the bag to clean the coin. I was shocked, ANOTHER Tremissis!! Amazed at this I called my wife to look (I think I thought I was seeing things!) and she agreed. ANOTHER...

So took some photos, which I will share with you. I have not cleaned the coin, and I don't think I will. Maybe have it professionally cleaned, its just too valuable. I have seen some of the prices for these coins and they are high, and I don't want to mess the coin up, although you cannot mess up gold very easy.

This was an unique experience, I don't think I will ever be able to do this again, just finding one is a find of your life, but two.... (PS: I only have one life).

Attachments

• First Day finds.JPG
    First Day finds.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 4,294
  • First Day button.jpg
    First Day button.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 4,219
  • 2nd Tremissis.jpg
    2nd Tremissis.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 4,335
  • Both Tremisises.jpg
    Both Tremisises.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 4,408
Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
Here I show similar coins of the same period were made in my country during the 5th to 7th century ,the fourth made in my city.
All exceed several thousand dollars. :thumbsup:

http://www.monistoria.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/monedasdeleovigildo.jpg
Thanks for the link Hispan, they are really neat coins! Great to know one was made the the city that you live, have you found the minting place yet and dug under it, who knows?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Yes after looking again, I did see the spiked hair, although it is rather thin, just probably wear, or it could have been die wear when the coin was struck.
I said on the first coin that I though a copy, but after seeing the second, and outher coins from this era, I know think they are indeed genuine, just the pale Silver debased Gold mix....congrats on your Banner :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oxbowbarefoot said:
Banner all the way! Great find!
Thanks for your vote and comment Oxbowbarefoot (what a long name!)

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Yes after looking again, I did see the spiked hair, although it is rather thin, just probably wear, or it could have been die wear when the coin was struck.
I said on the first coin that I though a copy, but after seeing the second, and outher coins from this era, I know think they are indeed genuine, just the pale Silver debased Gold mix....congrats on your Banner :icon_thumleft:

Hi SS. Yes, glad that they made the banner. It is rather thin, but not from wear. On this coin I do not see any wear at all, although there is some of course. I think it was the die. I would like to see more photos of these tremisses, but cannot find too many, maybe I could see others made from the same die. I do not think that Maelius would have made so many dies, and the artistry seems different in some of the coins. Have to find more first to get an idea...

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ia.FurTrade said:
I also voted "BANNER"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrat's on a superb "double" find!
Well glad that you voted for it, thanks!

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
Amazing :notworthy: another vote here :thumbsup:
Thank you for your vote Umrgolf!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:

Hi SS. Yes, glad that they made the banner. It is rather thin, but not from wear. On this coin I do not see any wear at all, although there is some of course. I think it was the die. I would like to see more photos of these tremisses, but cannot find too many, maybe I could see others made from the same die. I do not think that Maelius would have made so many dies, and the artistry seems different in some of the coins. Have to find more first to get an idea...
That's just it Earl, they arn't that many pictures of these coins, because of the rarity...that's why I could not understand why the first coin did not get many votes, this why I did the follow up with more imformation, on the second coin :thumbsup:

SS

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
That is just crazy, it's right up there on my impossible list, I'm getting on a boat, Shaun come & pick us up we are going on holiday :laughing9:
Goes without saying, that my vote is in 8)
PS. This is a HIGH, HIGH $$$$ Coin :wink:
Give me an hour :icon_thumleft:
I can't wait that long...
I'll met you in 40 minutes, I'm sticking my trainers on & running in your direction :D

Well you funny little guys! Cru, it is not impossible, only improbable. Maybe these finds were made because the coin was minted here, and there should be more lost here than by you folks....
You are welcome, I can meet you at the boat. Be sure to bring warm clothes and a tent, it could be muddy; but we have to stay on the land to keep the nighthawkers away of course. Hmm, you should be here already I think. :icon_scratch: :hello:

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:

That's just it Earl, they arn't that many pictures of these coins, because of the rarity...that's why I could not understand why the first coin did not get many votes, this why I did the follow up with more imformation, on the second coin :thumbsup:

SS
OK SS, thanks for this information. I really did not know there were so few! And yes, thanks for your good information, even though the coins were NOT silver (Silver Searcher!, who leaves the gold in the ground!) :laughing7: :laughing7:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:
WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS
OK SS, thanks for this information. I really did not know there were so few! And yes, thanks for your good information, even though the coins were NOT silver (Silver Searcher!, who leaves the gold in the ground!) :laughing7: :laughing7:
Don't know about leaving the Gold in the ground Earl....had three goldies, in the last two seasons, including two Celtic, one with only 30 recorded :wink: :laughing9:

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:
WOODY50 said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS
Don't know about leaving the Gold in the ground Earl....had three goldies, in the last two seasons, including two Celtic, one with only 30 recorded :wink: :laughing9:
Wow, that sounds interesting. But just kidding, thought you only liked silver and left the gold junk for us 'Gold Searchers'. My wish book has on top a Celtic gold unit.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
There is a few photos similar to the coin you found Jim

http://www.numsoc.net/darkages.html
Thanks I appreciate your help. Will make a sort of database of them all and see if I can find two from the same maker. Interesting!

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coming back to these two coins. I have found quite a few more tremissis coins on the internet, also some made by the creator of these.
If you want to see more :

A good place to look for coins Tremissis's is the Early Medieval Coin Corpus (also known as the EMC) based at the Fitzwilliam in Cambridge.

Go to the search screen of : http://www-cm.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/emc/emc_search.php

Under Ruler (Denomination for early anonymous coins): Choose "Early Continental: Tremissis (Merovingian) (600-675)

Leave the rest blank (PS: it might be able to screen or filter out some coins to show less).

Then search, and you can see many of the coins that look similar to the coins I found, there are a few that were created in Dorestad also, with coinmaker Madelinus
I am now looking for coins that appear to be made at the same time and maker as mine, there are quite a few to look at. Then I can complete my database.

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woody,
I'm sure glad you had a good time in California. You are still doing great, I did find a silver greek coin this year, I found it on a collectors yard. Sounds like your life and detecting are going great. I'll always wish you the best! Kane23

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
congrats on both of those awesome coins and on making the banner.
Thanks Allen.

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kane23 said:
Woody,
I'm sure glad you had a good time in California. You are still doing great, I did find a silver greek coin this year, I found it on a collectors yard. Sounds like your life and detecting are going great. I'll always wish you the best! Kane23
Yea, it was nice in Calif. A greek coin, I have never found one of those! Real neat those coins. And a silver one to boot!... Congrad!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Incredible finds--nicely done.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny in AB said:
Incredible finds--nicely done.
All the best,
Lanny
Thanks Lanny, yea, I like to write finds up, include photos and stuff to make it interesting if I can....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread