I cannot believe it, got home and...... another one! Gold Tremissis !

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I went back to the area where I found the Tremissis from Dorestad. I was planning on searching the field next to it if the corn was off. Turning off a main road onto a very small village road I saw my farmer, he was seeding another field with grass seed. He stopped and I got out and went to him, giving him a sack with a couple cabbages (they are really great) that I received from yet another farmer, he gave me a sack with about 30 of them, and it almost broke my back getting them into the car.

Well anyway, asked him who owned the land next to the Tremissis field and he told me, Oh Yea I know him, I searched another field further up the road back in the spring which he owned (found nothing but bad old copper coins). So turned around and went back a few miles to his farm, he was not home and I could not find him, so was writing him a note when he appeared. No problem about searching, so I drove back to the field. I forgot my camera again, but going back tomorrow and will add a couple. So started searching yesterday and although I found a few coins but not much more until I got a beep and out popped a neat silver button, an old one.

So today decided to return, if a neat silver button is there I should find more. And I did, a few copper coins and other stuff. While digging that stuff out I found a small coin, I thought it was a silver 10 cent piece from the 20th century, they were tiny. So put it in a separate bag and when I got home dumped everything in the water, and opened up the bag to clean the coin. I was shocked, ANOTHER Tremissis!! Amazed at this I called my wife to look (I think I thought I was seeing things!) and she agreed. ANOTHER...

So took some photos, which I will share with you. I have not cleaned the coin, and I don't think I will. Maybe have it professionally cleaned, its just too valuable. I have seen some of the prices for these coins and they are high, and I don't want to mess the coin up, although you cannot mess up gold very easy.

This was an unique experience, I don't think I will ever be able to do this again, just finding one is a find of your life, but two.... (PS: I only have one life).

Attachments

• First Day finds.JPG
    First Day finds.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 4,294
  • First Day button.jpg
    First Day button.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 4,219
  • 2nd Tremissis.jpg
    2nd Tremissis.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 4,335
  • Both Tremisises.jpg
    Both Tremisises.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 4,408
Upvote 0
OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kane23 said:
Woody,
The greek coin was a silver drachm from about 100 BC, it had a cow and calf on one side and a maze pattern on the reverse. Find some more gold...Kane 23
Well I don't think the greek were there back then, I did not see them :laughing7:. Sounds like a wonderful find. That was on the collectors fields? Stupid guy or someone robbed him and lost some stuff along the way...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread