Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been associating with other Historical Societies in our area, great being around these people and also found two others with detectors. At a meeting a few weeks ago I suggested we seek permission to detect an Archaeological site known as the Bee Keep, one of the members said he would ask the chief Archaeologist. We received permission to detect everything except the inner core of the round house, the Archaeologist knows all of us and I have worked with him several times and have developed a great relationship over a few years. This site was found by a man in his 80s, he found it deep in the woods when he was a child and was always intrigued by the large round foundation. He approached the Archaeologists a few years ago and they took an interest and excavated it. It was determined this site was a Bee Keep producing honey and wax from the early 1400s. A picture of the Bee Keep, still an ongoing dig site.
19Nov11Bienestum.jpg

Just beyond the Bee Keep you can see an open area. Myself, like everyone including the Archies thought it was a dried up pond. My buddy explained the Archies brought in a Geologist who took core samples and determined it was a marsh/swamp and not a pond. Which was good in the Medieval days because you always had roofing material with the reeds and swamp grass.
19Nov11Bienestum1.jpg

We detected for a good 1.5 hours and none of us had found anything other than modern round nails, brass ammo casings and a little trash. We were at the point that we hoped to find maybe a square nail. I went back around the foundation of the Bee Keep again and got a weak iron signal then a strong iron signal. Dug a small piece of iron and at first glance thought it was a square nail, yelled over to my buddies I had found a square nail, they came running down to have a look, LOL, one guy said it looks more like a handle piece and I agreed and said there was something else near the hole and dug up the bigger piece then a smaller piece. It was a Medieval knife used to cut the wax combs out of the hive. This was the only find dating to the site, I found it just 3’/1Mtr from the front door of the Bee Keep.
19Nov11BieneMess.jpg

This is an information board the Archies posted at the site, you can see a similar knife in the upper left and a few other finds they made while digging. We have a few other projects in the works, one is a possible Celtic mound grave, it’s a mysterious mound of rocks in the middle of the forest out of place. This will be excavated and if we find anything, we will have to stop work and call the Archaeologists. The chief archaeologist said he wants to see the site before he grants us permission. HH, Mike
19Nov11BieneInfo.jpg

Upvote 0

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have much luck for having such a good relationship with the archies! Helping out with the detector on a site is almost a nogo here. The best is detecting the excavated material.... And Your find was the key to date the site! Well done! Looking forward for Your next posts! :thumbsup:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here archaeologists alone are responsible for signing death sentences for archaeological sites and then put the hand = accept bribes to give authorization and could destroy home sites to build up ... :laughing7:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool story Mike,I'm glad you all put two and two together and found one of those bee keep's knive's.Best of Luck at this site and definetley keep us posted on anything else that may turn up there.Good Stuff :thumbsup:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics of the site :icon_sunny: I like the wax knife as well ! Lets hope you get to spend some more time there ! M.R.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One could understand the lack of goodies around that area, what with all the bees buzzing around back in the day. :-X ....So you did very well to find that nice little relic! WTG!
Nana :wink:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting , that is something never saw one :icon_scratch: I don't mine the honey bee but yellow jackets , wasps , and hornets are a different story :-\

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, our gov. did allow it once that I have heard of with great results-- I'll bet they don't want any more myths busted though---http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=1000214

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Mike, looking foward hunting with in the future. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions