Copper Culture Artifact found in NY

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted this a while ago when I wasn't sure what it was. It was found on private property next to the Salmon River Estuary in Pulaski, NY. I found this about 9 inches down with my Excalibur II while hunting an old dairy field. At first I thought it was just part of an old farm tool. I knew it was copper and that it was hammered and not cast or welded, so it had to be old. I did some initial research and found that it closely resembled artifacts from the copper complex on the upper Great Lakes. After reading the book "Metallic Implements of the New York Indians" I found out that Copper Culture artifacts, though EXTREMELY rare in NY, have been found. It makes perfect sense that it would be found on the shore of Lake Ontario next to the most important fishing site on the lake. After asking an archeologist friend of mine who works at my Alma Matter to take a look at the piece, I now have confirmation that this is a Copper Culture awl between 3,000-4,000 years old. This area was a popular trading spot for Native Americans and settlers alike.

Attachments

• cc1.JPG
    cc1.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,313
  • cc2.JPG
    cc2.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,227
  • cc3.JPG
    cc3.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,279
Upvote 0

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Very cool piece of history.

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
geez, that is an amazing find! congrats.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice artifact. Nice save. :thumbsup:

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find. :icon_thumright: Makes me jealous that you found it in my home town.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
pwcguy said:
That's a great find. :icon_thumright: Makes me jealous that you found it in my home town.

I love Pulaski, you're very lucky to have it as your home town. My brother lives there, he lives on Lake Street a few hundred yards from the lighthouse. There is a ton of history there. I can't wait to get out in the field again.

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be going back for Christmas. Hopefully the ground won't be frozen to much so I can detect. I didn't start detecting till I moved away. Now I want to go back and hunt all those old places I found when I was kid. I've all most located the family homestead that dates back to the early 1800's.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
pwcguy said:
I'll be going back for Christmas. Hopefully the ground won't be frozen to much so I can detect. I didn't start detecting till I moved away. Now I want to go back and hunt all those old places I found when I was kid. I've all most located the family homestead that dates back to the early 1800's.

I found some neat stuff in the city easements between the sidewalks and road on Salina st and down by the Black Hole. Let me know how you make out. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread