Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks after spending a little time on here this morning I decided to go out to the barn & start going through some of my late grandads tool boxes I got.Been needing to get them straight anyway & organized.I started in the very first box & was going through the stuff, when I found a stash of these little red chips.As I finished that box I came in to get me a drink.I brought one in with me just to see by chance what it may be (was thinking some of my Aunts & Uncles old game pieces) But was surprised to find out what I really had.Now I'm looking forward to what else may turn up in the other boxes.Here's the story with them....
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory/signal/coins/soltaylor080908.html

OPA Tokens

Red, blue, and a double-struck off-center
OPA token (enlarged).

By Dr. Sol Taylor
"Making Cents"
Saturday, August 9, 2008

D
uring World War II, the federal government initiated a new agency called the "Office of Price Administration." Its objectives included rationing of scarce commodities, price fixing on certain items to avoid speculation, and preventing runaway inflation during the war.
Each household was issued ration books based on a variety of factors: number of people in the household, ages, children under the age of 3, elderly, and handicapped. These ration booklets contained various small stamps which had no cash value, but were required to purchase food items — for example four "B" stamps for each pound of ground beef or five "A" stamps for a bag of sugar. All store items had a price marked as well as a ration book stamp requirement. So every purchase had to also include the right number of ration stamps.
Other items came under the OPA including tires and gasoline. Cars had to display a gasoline assignment sticker — A, B, or C, indicating the quantity of gas one could purchase at one time. Drivers were issued ration stamps to meet their needs; truckers and cab drivers got more than passenger cars. Some vehicles were forced to be out of service for the war due to a lack of stamps for tires and or gasoline.
The price of the item was not a factor in the use of these stamps. However, to make exact change, shopkeepers were issued small red and or blue tokens. They were made of a vulcanized fiber and were 16-mm in diameter. These basically were "small change" for stamps from ration books.
The blue tokens had a value of one point and had two letters and read "OPA Blue Point 1." There are 24 different letter combinations known for the blue tokens. The red tokens similarly read "OPA Red Point 1" and came in 30 different letter combinations. Some products required red tokens in change while other products required blue tokens as change.
These tokens were issued from 1942 to 1945 when rationing ended. The letters seem to have had no specific meaning and were apparently random.
On various price lists, the blue tokens sell for 80 cents and the red tokens for 40 cents. The few scarcer letters sell for $2 and $4. Error pieces — usually off-center or double-struck pieces — are more valuable, with prices shown online of $2.50 to $6 for off-center pieces and $5 to $6.50 for double-struck pieces. On eBay, groups of such tokens often sell for less than 10 cents each.
Many households of this era still have some of these tokens as well as partially used ration books. The number of tokens issued was in the billions, and even though most have been destroyed or lost, quite a few remain for collectors today.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,421
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,420
Upvote 0

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
My grandparents had a bag full of those. Must have had 6 or 7 hundred. Bet my mom still has them somewhere.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cuzcosquirrel said:
My grandparents had a bag full of those. Must have had 6 or 7 hundred. Bet my mom still has them somewhere.
Yea just thought it was cool.Might want to check them......................
Prices......
Red OPA Price List: •HC 40c
•HT 40c
•MM $5.00
•MV $235.00
•TH 40c
•TY 40c
•UC 40c
•UH 40c
•UT 40c
•UV 40c
•UX 40c
•UY 40c
•VC 40c
•VH 40c
•VT 40c
•VU 40c
•VX 40c
•VY 40c
•XC $2.00
•XH 40c
•XT 40c
•XU 40c
•XV 40c
•XY 40c
•YC $2.00
•YH 40c
•YT 40c
•YU 40c
•YV 40c
•YX 40c

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got some of the red and blue points along with a book of ration stamps (only missing one stamp) that my Grandmother gave me a short while before she passed away. I remember when the first gulf war broke out, there were a few people saying "I hear they are going to ration things like they did in WW2". I honestly don't think people these days would know how to cope with the hardships that my parents and grand parents did in those days. Theirs truly was "The Greatest Generation".

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool stash 8) and collectible :icon_sunny: Gramp lives on, still. Probably with more surprises to come :) M.R.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's pretty wild Pete :icon_thumright: Thank's for sharing!!!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool i got one of those found in a old house tearing up molding in a hallway

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pete, Neat discovery! :thumbsup: Breezie

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some cool finds Pete. Good deal :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, :thumbsup: it's not colonial.... :D but how it worked out, being I wasn't sure what they were,& the fact that my Grandad fought in WWII (navy).Was on many ships & traveled every ocean,even antarctica.It was a surprise find & neat to learn there meaning.The world we live in now & days would bring alot of people to there knees to only have to live like they did only that far back (1940's).Couldn't imagine how they would do adding 200 more years.One thing I've learned in my 39 1/2 yrs just when you think it's bad it could always be worse.
Take Care,

Attachments

• IMG_0001_1.JPG
    IMG_0001_1.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 955
  • IMG_0002_1.JPG
    IMG_0002_1.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 950
  • IMG_0003_1.JPG
    IMG_0003_1.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 962
  • IMG_0005_1.JPG
    IMG_0005_1.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 956

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW what an incredible find and research/tellin us of this story! Geat job explaining. I understand fully from the picture you have painted. Job well done bud.

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool!

"Bluebird Class" coastal minesweeper nonmagnetic construction, wooden hull and stainless steel, aluminum, and bronze engine and hull fittings.Fitted with UQS-1 sonar. Range is 2500 miles at ten knots

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theakiki said:
Cool!

"Bluebird Class" coastal minesweeper nonmagnetic construction, wooden hull and stainless steel, aluminum, and bronze engine and hull fittings.Fitted with UQS-1 sonar. Range is 2500 miles at ten knots
Thanks Theakiki,cool stuff too about the ships he was on I've looked them all up & is neat.Here's a ash tray of the bluebird it is made from one of the shells she fired.Also another ship not seen above he was on.As said he got around & was on many. :headbang:
Take Care,

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 691
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 722

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet!

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread