Rev War Button Made My Day! UPDATE, Cleaned Button.

Hans R Dirty

Nov 25, 2009
Got out for a couple hours today and thought it was going to be a bust. When I looked down at the ground I saw these relics that had been dumped by someone else :o I was feeling kind of depressed.

rp2.jpg

I picked up the stuff the person left behind and started to swing with little hope I was going to find anything. I ended up with 3 musketballs, 3 buttons 1 old copper and what I think my be a lead counter weight. Here is a pic of it. Looks like it had an iron loop at the top.

rp4.jpg

Here is my meager little finds for the hunt.

rp3.jpg

I have to say finding this Royal Provincials button got my blood flowing.

rp.jpg

I think the copper reads 1721, also found a sportsman button with what looks like horse.

rp5.jpg

The back looks like 2 capital L's crossed. Well I'm glad who ever left there unwanted digs behind left me a couple goodie's :laughing9:......cheers :coffee2:

rp6.jpg

Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rev War Button Made My Day!

Sweet RP button...your copper is a Colonies Francoises coin!

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,033
  • index2.jpg
    index2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,042
OP
OP
Hans R Dirty

Hans R Dirty

Nov 25, 2009

Thanks Romeo, I figured French, I believe Ironhorse found one a couple years back :headbang:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hans R Dirty said:
Thanks Romeo, I figured French, I believe Ironhorse found one a couple years back :headbang:

I know he's found at least one because I was with him on that hunt...3rd American field...

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice early finds!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd take the 9 Deniers over the RP! But that's probably because I have never found one and probably 35 RPs. :laughing7:

Can you tell if it's H or B under the date? It's not like it would really matter in that condition anyway, just curious if you got the one that's more scarce. It does book quite a bit higher.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1 said:
Hans R Dirty said:

I know he's found at least one because I was with him on that hunt...3rd American field...

Sure did. It could be his 2nd because several years back he showed me a picture with some coins that had a large French copper that I believe was something other than a 6 Deniers.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can't complain about that kinda day! Guess the other fellow was digging all the trash! Although I would have at least kept the ox shoe, I've got a bunch of those lying around now.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Got some Oldies!
Grats on The Copper & Butts
I love pulling a piece or two from obviously hunted sites :thumbsup:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

very nice hunt! i dug a 1722 like that and i learned not to get discouraged when you see relics piled up at a site after digging a George Washington Inaugural button 10 feet away from the relic pile :laughing7:

OP
OP
Hans R Dirty

Hans R Dirty

Nov 25, 2009

Iron Patch said:
I'd take the 9 Deniers over the RP! But that's probably because I have never found one and probably 35 RPs. :laughing7:

Can you tell if it's H or B under the date? It's not like it would really matter in that condition anyway, just curious if you got the one that's more scarce. It does book quite a bit higher.

It's an H. It's ugly but I'll keep it. You were there 2 years ago, we both found the same French bale seal. It's a huge site but this is the first time I have seen evidence of someone else digging there. :(

OP
OP
Hans R Dirty

Hans R Dirty

Nov 25, 2009

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
very nice hunt! i dug a 1722 like that and i learned not to get discouraged when you see relics piled up at a site after digging a George Washington Inaugural button 10 feet away from the relic pile :laughing7:

It was a little depressing because I have been going there for years and never saw any signs of other digger's. It's one of those out of the way places were you never see a soul. I had better get use to it as the hobby is growing so fast. It's getting quite there tho, 3 hours swinging for so few finds but they were all old. 2 years ago you would have to empty your pouch after 3 hrs and go back for more.....cheers!

OP
OP
Hans R Dirty

Hans R Dirty

Nov 25, 2009

steelheadwill said:
Got some Oldies!
Grats on The Copper & Butts
I love pulling a piece or two from obviously hunted sites :thumbsup:

Me too! I'll have to adjust as there are not to many undiscovered places left out there I bet. :icon_pirat:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hans R Dirty said:
Iron Patch said:

It's an H. It's ugly but I'll keep it. You were there 2 years ago, we both found the same French bale seal. It's a huge site but this is the first time I have seen evidence of someone else digging there. :(

yep, know where you mean. It's where IH and I nearly got stuck in the mud after you guys left. Doesn't really sound like anyone we know leaving a pile of junk behind, or does it?

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

still looking for my first RP button...I can find the rarer ones but these elude me

Congrats

OP
OP
Hans R Dirty

Hans R Dirty

Nov 25, 2009

Iron Patch said:
Hans R Dirty said:
Iron Patch said:

yep, know where you mean. It's where IH and I nearly got stuck in the mud after you guys left. Doesn't really sound like anyone we know leaving a pile of junk behind, or does it?

It was slippery as hell but the red rocket had no problem lol. I've seen junk left behind before but not in a pile in the middle of the field. I think it was a novice as none of the holes were filled and they were all small and shallow, like he was using a hand shovel.

OP
OP
Hans R Dirty

Hans R Dirty

Nov 25, 2009

The Patriot said:
still looking for my first RP button...I can find the rarer ones but these elude me

Congrats

Should I say, are you ready :blob7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hans R Dirty said:
Iron Patch said:
Hans R Dirty said:
Iron Patch said:

It was slippery as hell but the red rocket had no problem lol. I've seen junk left behind before but not in a pile in the middle of the field. I think it was a novice as none of the holes were filled and they were all small and shallow, like he was using a hand shovel.

He probably didn't find enough to bother going back. It makes a big difference when you're first and know what came out. Plus to someone new junk is likely just junk and they don't recognize the age and potential.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd probably keep the french too.

Good button for the collection.