Beautiful old ring found, and my oldest wheatie!

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
I was hunting an old park that I have hunted with Mirage and his son Nate before, only this time my son Spencer and I were hunting another end of the park. We were following what once was a road, and now is just a standing line of old oaks heading into a wooded area.
About 100 ft into the woods I got a nice tone that bounced around between dime and quarter and had a solid lock on depth at 6".
It was difficult to pinpoint as a dead tree covered part of the area. Spencer and I moved the deadwood together and I scraped the pinpoint area clean with my shoe, and now got a great center.
I was fairly excited because how nice the pinpoint was and the depth, indicating to me that it might be a silver coin!
At about 5" I popped out a really nice old silver ring with 11 small diamonds. The stones do appear real under a loupe, but who knows? The setting certainly looks old.
Lending to it's age, less than 5ft away at about the same depth I got a 1909 Wheatie!...knowing that the S minted ones with V.D.B. on them are valuable, I couldn't wait to get home and clean it, as all I could make out was the date.
Hours later...the ring was cleaned and polished, and the penny was NOT an S or a V.D.B.
Still, it's my oldest wheat.

HH all!

Attachments

• ring1909wheat.jpg
    ring1909wheat.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 678
Upvote 0
B

Brush Creek

I like the 1909s My brother and I found one on a hike in Colorado when we were in our teens, there on vacation.
it was siting on a rock 2 miles up the mountain where we sat to rest.
it was not a s or a vdb
the 1909 s is rare also.
good find.

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Thats one sweet ring Danimal !! I can't wait to find me a diamond ring one day ! ;D

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
here's a pic of the wheatie's obverse. Right where a mintmark would be is a corroded lump that was a mintmark. Impossible to tell what though.

It's too bad the ring's band is cracked, but next to the crack is evidence that the ring was sized at one time. This ring's nice enough that I may send it to be repaired.

Attachments

• 1909obverse.jpg
    1909obverse.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 664

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that ring...beautiful.

Brilliant find!

:) RR

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Cool ring. ;D ;D Also congratulations on the old wheatie. :)

Now, isn't that ring better than a Barber Quarter? ;) :D After you get that Barber Quarter you will be like why was I so anxious to find a barber quarter.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Mirage said:
Cool ring. ;D ;D Also congratulations on the old wheatie. :)

Now, isn't that ring better than a Barber Quarter? ;) :D After you get that Barber Quarter you will be like why was I so anxious to find a barber quarter.

Damnit man!...I want a Barber quarter!

Yes, the ring is a satisfying find, and I never will grown tired or jaded I swear, but I really really want old coins!
Thanks for the kudos Bob....and you need to check out the line of huge oaks in this section that are alonside the main road. A few minutes there showed me there's not much trash...which to me means good signals.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice ring and your oldest Wheatie! Since you live in Cuyahoga Falls, you might ask some of the Senior Citizens where they used to swim along the river, had to be a few favorite spots. Then there is the water fall area that has been attracting people since the late 1700s or early 1800s, I can remember a small park at the base of the falls. If you can get a history book of the area, you might find where old farms and homesteads once stood that may be just a farm field now. Old maps of the area would be a treasure map of sort. HH, Mike

snorton750

Jul 28, 2006
Auburn, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID
Danimal:
Sweet ring would be very surprised if the stones wern't real. not a bad looking 09 either. Maybe you could soak it in olive oil and see if it cleans up a bit. Nothing too strong. Good luck and HH Stan...

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
that is probably the nicest silver ring i've ever seen.... a real nice piece there.....

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois
Awesome find. When you get it checked out, let us know if it is real or not. Either way, in my book, that is an awesome find.

99Brown

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread