May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no good name for this field until recently as it had no interesting features & is not a site of any description but at least now I can refer to it as above. ;D

Cru'dad joined me gridding this field for the first time. We did 4 hours & were expecting a bit of a slog, so what we ended up with was a pleasing day:

7 Roman Coins - 1 good one of Marcus Aurelius, Dupondus, AD177, RIC 1219, Winged Thunderbolt.
Livery Button
Medieval Casket Key :)
A really cool Lady Figurine which I think is an 18th C Pipe Tamper - Anyone seen that type of clothing before, looks pre-17th C & maybe not an English style either (famous person?) :icon_scratch:

Its my fav artifact in awhile :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 504
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 525
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 571
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 570
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 582
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 622
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 626
Upvote 0

ossi

Nov 3, 2011
Pannonia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO INTERNATIONAL (Nel hunter)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marcus Aurelius, nice :icon_thumleft: ossi black?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SeatedorBust

Nov 5, 2011
Carthage, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/ SunRay Probe Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds!! How many coppers do you find to each silver find?? Like my average last year was three to five coppers to one silver.... just curious if you track that.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
The figures hair looks Tudor :-\

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SeatedorBust said:
Nice finds!! How many coppers do you find to each silver find?? Like my average last year was three to five coppers to one silver.... just curious if you track that.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,443280.0.html
We track & GPS every Roman Coin & many others, see above.
So the average last year was 69.3 Roman Bronze Coins to 1 Roman Silver. We tend to work on 50-70/1 on most Roman Sites.
If your question is more general & includes all the modern copper coins we find to all the Silver then we don't count.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
The figures hair looks Tudor :-\

We thought late Tudor because of the small ruffles, at 1 point but did they have that hair thing on top? She is holding a large object hanging from her neck :icon_scratch:

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
Cru what a fun day!

The dupondus is in Great shape!, congrats

The lady is good looking, but don't know her origins...

Thanks for sharing. I have a post today could you look into it to help me with some unidentified targets...thanks a bunch

NU

SeatedorBust

Nov 5, 2011
Carthage, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CRUSADER said:
SeatedorBust said:
So the average last year was 69.3 Roman Bronze Coins to 1 Roman Silver. We tend to work on 50-70/1 on most Roman Sites.
If your question is more general & includes all the modern copper coins we find to all the Silver then we don't count.
No.... I was talking Roman. Was trying to get a feel for how rare the Roman silver really is. And that is a VERY wide separation. You must have amazing patience while hunting. Here? To be Honest? I think most of us would go crazy with frustration if it took 60-70 coppers to find one silver coin!! Anyone disagree with that statement?? lol

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SeatedorBust said:
CRUSADER said:
SeatedorBust said:
No.... I was talking Roman. Was trying to get a feel for how rare the Roman silver really is. And that is a VERY wide separation. You must have amazing patience while hunting. Here? To be Honest? I think most of us would go crazy with frustration if it took 60-70 coppers to find one silver coin!! Anyone disagree with that statement?? lol
Think of it like losing a $50 bill, doesn't happen often, I hope. It was a days pay for a Roman soldier. They can take some UK detectorist years to find, I spoke with a guy who had detected longer than me & only had 1, he looked at me funny when I said Dad & I have had 20 this year :laughing9:

SeatedorBust

Nov 5, 2011
Carthage, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CRUSADER said:
SeatedorBust said:
CRUSADER said:
SeatedorBust said:
Think of it like losing a $50 bill, doesn't happen often, I hope. It was a days pay for a Roman soldier. They can take so UK detectorist years to find, I spoke with a guy who had detected longer than me & only had 1, he looked at me funny when I said Dad & I have had 20 this year :laughing9:
Well..... I just looked at the thread you just sent to me..... and I am staggered and speachless. WOW. You guys are in a whole other realm of detecting over there. I've been a hard core detectorist for most of my life and that just floored me. Awesome. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: So thank you for sharing... and may you guys have a 10 Gold Year!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SeatedorBust said:
CRUSADER said:
SeatedorBust said:
CRUSADER said:
SeatedorBust said:
Think of it like losing a $50 bill, doesn't happen often, I hope. It was a days pay for a Roman soldier. They can take so UK detectorist years to find, I spoke with a guy who had detected longer than me & only had 1, he looked at me funny when I said Dad & I have had 20 this year :laughing9:
Well..... I just looked at the thread you just sent to me..... and I am staggard and speachless. WOW. You guys are in a whole other realm of detecting over there. I've been a hard core detectorist for most of my life and that just floored me. Awesome. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Thanks, but Cru'Mum won't like you encouraging our problem :laughing7:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nutriasub said:
Thanks for the info!

NU

No probs, but I wasn't much help really :-[ Get back to that site soon & keep gridding :wink: :blob7:

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always awesome finds !!
Thanks for posting. :icon_thumleft:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm probably way off but she looks like a Geisha...cool find!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really love seeing the roman coins you guys dig. they are so cool. that snake button is sweet :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jewelerguy said:
I really love seeing the roman coins you guys dig. they are so cool. that snake button is sweet :headbang: :headbang:

I was pleased with it, I have hundreds of Livery buttons & I'm pretty sure this is a new type for the collection 8)

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
ossi said:
Marcus Aurelius, nice :icon_thumleft: ossi black?

Black what? :dontknow:

I think ossi means the colour of your coin. Doesn,t look like the others, which have been affected by human chemicals like fertilliser. Yours is brown to black which means there been in the presence of a natural sulphide mineral. The 3 ways i can think off hand are being in a deep well .Sulphide is present in ground water at depth. Soil that once had a lot of volcanic activity or pottery made from clay containing sulphide. Some roman pottery was imported and is brown or black from what i can remember from your posts. Roman pot hoard Seems you got the left over or ?
tinpan

manorman

Dec 8, 2008
Nowhere can man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul.
Marcus Aurelius

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread