Old Pre 1820 House Hunt with Dman & VOL1266-X

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Old Pre 1820 House Hunt with Dman & VOL1266-X

It was a cloudy day in Tennessee with temps. in the low 50s. I met up with Dman (Doug) and VOL1266-X (Quindy) to hunt an old home site. We had a pretty good day as shown in the first pic. Doug found the old lock parts but he couldn't find the lock plate. He dug several flat buttons and a high dome one that needs to be cleaned before we know what it is. Quindy called me the "Button Master" as I dug the most flat buttons and what looks like the outer brass to a small rosette. I had the biggest flat button but have dug a few bigger and the bottom to the large iron stirrup. Quindy 's best finds were the old knife and what is known as a brass saddle shield here in the second pic but may really be a rein end like the one above it that he dug.
Still no money from that site yet but surely the people who lived there in the early 1800s dropped a few coins. It was just a fun day with friends and we had a good time as usual.

Happy Hunting, Donnie

Attachments

• TDiggerDmanVol.jpg
    TDiggerDmanVol.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,345
  • OldHome.jpg
    OldHome.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,367
Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Old Pre 1820 House Hunt with Dman & VOL1266-X

Looks like yall had a great time and some great saves there! WTG!!!

OP
OP
tennessee digger

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used

Thanks Getty. We have pulled about 25 or 30 early buttons from this site but no coins. Oh well, still fun to dig old buttons with different other stuff. Tennessee digger

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cool stuff :thumbsup:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

As usual, lots of fun hunting with you and Doug. When I cleaned the knife, there was an old font style and "Office Knife" stamped on it. Not very old I'm afraid. Any info. from the knife experts out there will be appreciated.
My biggest surprise was the 50 cal. cartridge and when I cleaned it the base was stamped "41" like the maneuver 30-06 cartridges are stamped. WW2 maneuvers were not supposed to use live ammo so this must have been a machine gun blank.
Very enjoyable trip. Let's do it again soon. Doug hunted a full 4 hours today and didn't get hurt so that's good-LOL. Thanks for dragging us along, Quindy.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I will take any hunt with friends and fun. Nothing wrong with those finds. Good job to all.

Burdie

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Good to see you all got some diggin in. diggin alot of buttons would have been the finds of the day for me, love diggin them.
The knife i believe is made by the Miller Bros Knife Co.
made 1872-1926

here is a pic of one maybe similar

Bill

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

nova treasure said:
Good to see you all got some diggin in. diggin alot of buttons would have been the finds of the day for me, love diggin them.
The knife i believe is made by the Miller Bros Knife Co.
made 1872-1926

here is a pic of one maybe similar

Bill
Thanks Bill. That's the type font on my knife. Older than I thought. HH, Q.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats. Like to see them all cleaned up.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like you, Quindy and Doug had a good time and dug some nice relics, congrats :occasion14:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gotta love diggin' those buttons. :icon_pirat: I'm always excited to dig 'em up, and look forward to cleaning them to see what I had found. :D
Sounds like a fun time! Congrats on all the finds. :icon_thumright:

Nana

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great hunt! Don't lose faith on there being a coin at that site. Out of the hundreds of pre-CW home sites I've hunted, I averaged a little more than one coin per site. Very few sites had no coins. Likewise, very few sites had more than 3 coins. :-\ Obviously, the longer the continuous occupation, the better chance.

You may have to get out of the iron patch to get the coin. As detectorists, we have no idea what the patterns of traffic were at old sites like these. I have seen some crazy things, including a good many coins that were lost way outside of the iron patch for the house. Staying right in the iron patch is so tempting on sites like these, but you owe it to yourself to wander.

You should also find the barn on the site. :thumbsup:

At the site where I dug the snake buckle piece several years ago, my only two coins came from the barn. (CN IH and a FE cent).

Cheers,

Buckles

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008

Donnie great seeing you out hunting.bet it feli good. someone told me Wayne may be hunting again. i sure hope so, not much happing here but hope to be hunting soon. take care and cant wait till you hit that site again..some times the best items are the last to appear,

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

I really enjoyed hunting but I paid for it today. My leg looks like one of those Macy's Thanksgiving Day balloons. LOL
Dman

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice saves!

OP
OP
tennessee digger

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used

Dman said:
I really enjoyed hunting but I paid for it today. My leg looks like one of those Macy's Thanksgiving Day balloons. LOL
Dman
D-Man I enjoyed it too but I have to tell you (before Quindy does) that after you left I looked for a while and never got a signal. Checked my detector and found that I had flipped the notch switch down which is a no-no. Looked for a while longer and still wasn't hearing anything then realized that I had turned the machine OFF while telling you bye! Old age sucks!!!!!!!! Tennessee digger

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

tennessee digger said:
Dman said:
Dman
D-Man I enjoyed it too but I have to tell you (before Quindy does) that after you left I looked for a while and never got a signal. Checked my detector and found that I had flipped the notch switch down which is a no-no. Looked for a while longer and still wasn't hearing anything then realized that I had turned the machine OFF while telling you bye! Old age sucks!!!!!!!! Tennessee digger

That's the only way that you won't find relics except to take the batteries out-LOL. Some clown whose name starts with a "D' turned off my F75 while you and I were looking at a relic but I knew to always check it based on many trips with him. Stay warm Bud and i'm working on getting info. for our out of state hunt, Quindy.

OP
OP
tennessee digger

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used

I can't believe that "some guy whose name starts with a D" would turn your machine off! Of course, my name also starts with a "D" :laughing9: Tennessee digger

looking4largecent

Dec 11, 2011
iowa
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool finds! Whats the piece that looks like a badge?

OP
OP
tennessee digger

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used

looking4largecent said:
Cool finds! Whats the piece that looks like a badge?
The piece that looks like a shield was dug by Quindy. I've always called them saddle shields (decorative saddle piece) but some call them a bridle boss. Not sure of the use but I do know that they are old as I've dug a few in late 1700's sites. Tennessee digger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread