Finally!! KGIII and a NJ copper and a few relics

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a long drought of getting buttons, buttons, and more buttons, although I really only hunted a few times since last April, but still it does get to you when you have not found an old coin for almost 9 months!

I went to a new site this morning, had to mountain bike it to the site, and of course when I was done hunting I went back to the bike and the front tire was flat, no pump, no repair kit with me, so I did what I had to do, rode most of the way back (luckily it there was some downhill and solid sandy road) and called the wife when I reached paved road and had her pick me up and take me to my truck a bit further away!

So, I ended my drought with a what I think is a 1771 KGIII Halfpenny (counterfeit of course) and to my surprise another NJ Copper, my 21st! The first target I dug though was a complete frame of a shoe buckle and that brought a smile to my face, since it help date the site occupation time for me right away, the coppers confirmed that along with one Tombac button.

The reason I mention dating the site is becuase I found another one of those "harness hardware" decorative pieces, and I also found a what looks like the other half, this one made of lead and not similar to the previous decorative pieces found by me and others. I am now convinced they have been used in the 1700s despite claims of being more 1800ish. I think they must have been used for whatever purpose for a long time.

So, at least I got the monkey off my back and got a copple coins, not sure I will be doing mountain biking again anytime soon, unless I get a true mountain bike with better tires, been using a hybrid and the road tires seem to attract briar, broken glass all the time. Back to walking in the future. ;D
Group photo at the site
7Febfinds.jpg
Photo of the immediate site, just a small area with crumbled brick pieces in the ground and some Jersey stone near the surface, but all relics found within 30 feet of the occupation site, nothing in the outer permeter areas.
homesteadsite.jpg
The ground was not too kind to the coins, did the best I could on cleaning and preserving them .
Site256 finds 7 Feb 12.jpg
And a photo for Buckleboy and friends to add to the data base on the in my opinion still unresolved issue of these decorative pieces with the bracketed other half found together sometimes.
strap hardware maybe.jpg

Although I have not hunted much for various reason in the past year, I did look back in my records and to my pleasant surprise, 17 out of the last 18 coppers found have been from the 1700s and the only one that was not 1700s was an 1801 Large Cent. Must be the reason all the buttons have been mostly Tombacs and flatties with no backmarks.
Forgot to include in the group photo the trigger guard part found
Trigger guard part.jpg
Don

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt = congrats!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the variety on the Jersey Don?

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
What's the variety on the Jersey Don?

My 5th M.43-d........

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Nine month drought--Kicked. Nice finds. Spare tube and quick fills should take care of future bicycle flats. I've fixed hundreds out in the Pa. woods back in the day. Those coins get my excitement up for sure. Congrats.
Chris

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Nine month drought--Kicked. Nice finds. Spare tube and quick fills should take care of future bicycle flats. I've fixed hundreds out in the Pa. woods back in the day. Those coins get my excitement up for sure. Congrats.
Chris

This is an old GIANT hybrid, bent front wheel, broken rear brake, prone to flats ever since I started riding it off road, it seems to love green briar thorns, but also have trouble with the spokes puncturing the tube at times due to the damage to the wheel from a header I took many moons ago on a hunt. :D It does not have quick releases for the wheels, so I would never think of repairing in the woods, just time to pick up a true mountain bike with heavy duty tires and tubes. Or, quit riding off road and stick to my road bike riding without detecting. :icon_thumright:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to see another fine post from you Don.
Exercise and 1700's recoveries too. A great day indeed. Congrats. :thumbsup:
Thanks for posting that harness piece backing. Never saw one of those yet. :icon_scratch:
-MM-

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WAY TO GO DON!!!! That NJ looks pretty sharp!

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don, on your next bike ride, I predict that you uncover a tire pump and repair kit! As for the 'harness hardware', the few that I've recovered have always been at sites that date from the later 1700's to 1810.

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
Glad to see that you got out Don. It seems that you always get some goodies when you have been laying low for awhile. I know how much you love to find those Jersey Coppers:) Great finds and may I suggest you hit some of the yardsales this spring and get yourself a better bike. Was good seeing you last month.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That was quick Don. You were just telling me yesterday that due to a number of circumstances you haven't been able to hunt in a while. Now you have 2 nice coppers in less than 24 hours. Glad you could get out, and hope to see more finds from that site soon.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice NJ copper man :headbang:

Love the saddle piece,"These are a big debate"...

Blaze

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill D. (VA) said:
That was quick Don. You were just telling me yesterday that due to a number of circumstances you haven't been able to hunt in a while. Now you have 2 nice coppers in less than 24 hours. Glad you could get out, and hope to see more finds from that site soon.

LOL Bill, I think I went becuase of you. ;D I am paying a price for today with back pain, but it was worth it!!

Don

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins and relics Don! It is only appropriate that the guy doing the NJ Copper study finds the most NJ Coppers :laughing7: Glad to see you sniff out a new site too :thumbsup:

Regarding those decorative oval pieces, the ones I have found at sites that spanned the 18th and 19th centuries have had the designs cast into the piece. The ones from earlier sites had the designs incised or hand tooled into the piece.

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Awesome hunt Don! Great finds :icon_thumleft:

Glad you made it back ok ;D At least it looks like it was well worth the trouble!

How do the backs of the coins look?

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Great to see you got out to do some digging Don. I would go through withdrawls waiting that long.
Congrats on your coppers and other goodies. :thumbsup:
Get back out there.

HB

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, You are the NJ Copper Man-gnet, nice finds. Found a oval plate like the one you have pictured at a 18th century site also. Look into a Tens Unit for your back pain, these little suckers work for me... Arty

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,

It is Wonderful that you were able to get out and dig, and great to see your typical high quality of great finds. Sounds like a bicycle investment may be in order.

Congrats on the NJ. Regardless of condition, that's a great coin to see. Nice to find another of those two-hole items.

And yes, those pieces have got to be a version of the "U-shaped" piece.

Well done, my friend.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread