Dug a Pistol today!!!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone. Today I went out for an evening hunt. I decided to take the ole F75 and go back over to a spot where I have dug a ton of 3 ring bullets and a General service eagle button. I wanted to dig a bullet or two, but what I dug this afternoon really surprised me. Was walking along and found a spot that was just full of iron signals..So I decided to start digging a few of them and see what I could come out with. They were all fairly shallow targets. First signal I dug was a nail. Covered the hole and dug the next signal. It rang in around a 12 or so. Strong overload. To my surprise I cut the plug and reaching it and grabbed what I thought was a small iron rod. Gave it a tug and out popped a freakin pistol. I could not believe it. Snapped a couple of pictures and moved on. Dug a pair of V nickels from the other side of the park as well today. Stayed out a couple of hours and dug a couple more wheat pennies then called it a day. I came home and ran the gun under some water and snapped you guys some pictures. I am going to find the fellow on here who has been cleaning up his axe heads so nicely and see if his method will work on this gun. I am getting away from electrolysis, because my results were not that great. I want this to clean up nicely. Thank you all for looking. zaxfire69

79119cd5.jpg

04c131be.jpg

e7b9ad0a.jpg

Upvote 2

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure will Rob. I'm looking for the fellow on here that cleaned his axe heads recently. I want to say he soaked them in some type of vinegar and would take them out occasionally and wire brush them. I don't want to electrolysis this one. I will do some research for sure and see what I can come up with Also...If any of you can ID the gun by all means jump on in. I'm trying to Id it now by the shape of it.

I did a doubled bitted spliting axe, I took two days, And two bottles of vineger. And buddy it did a wonderfull job! I'd say one to two days, whatever is left on day one take a brass brush and lightly brush it off, then another soaking, when your done with the vineger bath make sure the run rinse it in cold plain water, to stop the process, Good luck and please show us the results, Cant wait to see it cleaned up. HH

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take a picture when I get home in the morning. Hopefully this wire brushing will show some details. It is in rough shape.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6aa494c3.jpg

231749a5.jpg

This is after 3 days in Vinegar.

Going to leave it in and change the Vinegar tonight or tomorrow.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
f26d1f8a.jpg

Day 4 in Vinegar. I could probably take the Dremel tool and Drill with wire brush to it at this point, but I am still going to let it soak a couple more days. This stuff is amazing on Iron. BAD thing is I know a guy that drinks this stuff..OMG..If it will dissolve rust off of iron think about what it would do to your stomach.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
6aa494c3.jpg

231749a5.jpg

This is after 3 days in Vinegar.

Going to leave it in and change the Vinegar tonight or tomorrow.

Oh yeah, it's working, it's working right on schedule. Comin' right along. Keep at it, don't be afraid to brush it.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like your quote! Is that original?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
f26d1f8a.jpg

Day 4 in Vinegar. I could probably take the Dremel tool and Drill with wire brush to it at this point, but I am still going to let it soak a couple more days. This stuff is amazing on Iron. BAD thing is I know a guy that drinks this stuff..OMG..If it will dissolve rust off of iron think about what it would do to your stomach.

Very nice Zax - workin' just like it's supposed to! BTW, you can likely pop some of those remaining rust spots off with the point of a pocket knife. Apple cider vinegar is an amazing product. It's gotta lot of uses - works great on cleaning glass too. And, yes, it's good for you! I take a shot every now and then myself, though I mix some water with it. :occasion14:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've looked at a lot of them & the best match to me is the colt new line 32.cal.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• 20916_0500d_1_lg[1].jpg
    20916_0500d_1_lg[1].jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Nola Ken, Pete and Coop. I'm like you guys. The Colt New Line is the closest match I could find. I fit a .22 bullet into the end of the barrel and it was larger than the bullet. That leads me to believe that it is a .32 caliber. It was about that size. I bought my Briwax today to preserve the gun. A couple more days in the cider and it should be ready to finish cleaning and then heating and applying wax. I'm excited to get it out and preserve it.

GhostCoast

Apr 11, 2012
Gainesville, Fl
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Other
So sweet! I can't wait to see how it cleans up too. Perhaps you can treat us with pictures each step of the way.......

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the buffer and blue wonder. Looks like it could use some new grips too. The replacement cylinder is a little pricey though. I wouldn't try shooting it till you slug the barrel either. Just sayin...

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghostcoast I'm going to Take pictures for sure. As far as shooting or putting grips on this gun..she has seen better days! Time for the display case now.

cdobis

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2012
Canton, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! It makes you wonder just how old it is, and if it was used in any old crime.
Please keep us updated.

cdobis

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2012
Canton, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that Colt sure does look close. You mail have nailed it timekeeper.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is in the oven! Pictures to Follow!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lookin' forward to seeing the final product!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread