Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Dug a Pistol today!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nov 2004
    Back in MS
    Minelab Excalibur II 1000 Minelab Excalibur-800
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Nice, I hope it cleans up for you! HH

us
    Relic Hunter & Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Garrett AT Pro, XP DEUS, Teknetics T2SE, Fisher 1266X, Garrett Propointer
    407 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxfire69 View Post
    Hey Gunrunner I have it in White Vinegar right now. I will go buy a Gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar this afternoon. I wonder how long to keep it in there. Probably a week or two I am guessing.
    Hey Zax, I sent you a PM, but my messages aren't showing up in my "sent" box, so I don't know if you got it or not. So . . . on something like this, I'd brush vigorously before soaking it to remove as much loose rust and dirt as possible. Then let it soak for 24 hours in apple cider vinegar. Take it out and wire brush it again. Then I'd let it soak for 48 hours again, repeat brushing process and let it soak for another 48 hours. Repeat until you think the vinegar has done all it's going to do. Could take a week or more on something like this. Depending on how much rust comes off and how fast, you may want to refresh or change the vinegar. Be patient - it WILL work. If its pitted, and since it has lots of small crevices, you'll probably need to spend some time using a Dremel or a brush on a drill for the final clean up stage. I've also had to use a pocket knife to flake off some of the stubborn rust in tight spots. You can use a fine brush for the final brushing/cleaning. Then heat it in the oven at 250 degrees for about 45 minutes (that will remove any remaining moisture), take it out and seal it. I like Briwax, but there are other options as well. Hope that helps.
    Dig Daddy likes this.
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

Subscribe to my YouTube channel.

Proud great-great grandson of three Confederate soldiers: John Meredith Crutchfield who served with the 60th Virginia, Maurice Coffey, & John McGann who both served with the 51st Virginia. Grandpa Crutchfield and Grandpa Coffey were both wounded and both served time in Yankee prisons.

us
    Jun 2008
    Fisher F75 / Ace 250/ ATPro
    156 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Thanks to everyone. Old Stonewall..Thank you for the cleaning method using the Apple cider vinegar. I have it soaking and i will wire brush it again tomorrow when I arrive home. I hope it cleans up a little more. I would love to find some markings on it to ID it. I will Post pictures as the process continues. Thank you for everything once again Old Stonewall..

us
    Ben

May 2012
    north Alabama
    garret
    1 times
    real cool

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    407 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Thanks to everyone. Old Stonewall..Thank you for the cleaning method using the Apple cider vinegar. I have it soaking and i will wire brush it again tomorrow when I arrive home. I hope it cleans up a little more. I would love to find some markings on it to ID it. I will Post pictures as the process continues. Thank you for everything once again Old Stonewall..
    You're more than welcome. I'm just sharing what I learned from someone else. Like I said, be patient - it could take a week or so, but it will work.
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

Proud great-great grandson of three Confederate soldiers: John Meredith Crutchfield who served with the 60th Virginia, Maurice Coffey, & John McGann who both served with the 51st Virginia. Grandpa Crutchfield and Grandpa Coffey were both wounded and both served time in Yankee prisons.

us
    Dec 2011
    West of the Mississippi
    Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
    305 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Stonewall View Post
    You're more than welcome. I'm just sharing what I learned from someone else. Like I said, be patient - it could take a week or so, but it will work.
    Well, I learned something too!! Thanks!
    Respect the research and permissions of others...Seriously...

us
    Jan 2011
    Dalton,Ga.
    Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    448 times
    I sure will Rob. I'm looking for the fellow on here that cleaned his axe heads recently. I want to say he soaked them in some type of vinegar and would take them out occasionally and wire brush them. I don't want to electrolysis this one. I will do some research for sure and see what I can come up with Also...If any of you can ID the gun by all means jump on in. I'm trying to Id it now by the shape of it.
    I did a doubled bitted spliting axe, I took two days, And two bottles of vineger. And buddy it did a wonderfull job! I'd say one to two days, whatever is left on day one take a brass brush and lightly brush it off, then another soaking, when your done with the vineger bath make sure the run rinse it in cold plain water, to stop the process, Good luck and please show us the results, Cant wait to see it cleaned up. HH

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams-

us
    Jun 2008
    156 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I'll take a picture when I get home in the morning. Hopefully this wire brushing will show some details. It is in rough shape.

us
    Jun 2008
    156 times
    Banner Finds (1)

This is after 3 days in Vinegar.

Going to leave it in and change the Vinegar tonight or tomorrow.

us
    Rob

Apr 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Whites Prism IV
    5 times
    Awesome find zaxfire69 and great info Stonewall,thx

us
    Jun 2008
    156 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Day 4 in Vinegar. I could probably take the Dremel tool and Drill with wire brush to it at this point, but I am still going to let it soak a couple more days. This stuff is amazing on Iron. BAD thing is I know a guy that drinks this stuff..OMG..If it will dissolve rust off of iron think about what it would do to your stomach.

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    407 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

This is after 3 days in Vinegar.

Going to leave it in and change the Vinegar tonight or tomorrow.
    Oh yeah, it's working, it's working right on schedule. Comin' right along. Keep at it, don't be afraid to brush it.

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    407 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I like your quote! Is that original?

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    407 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Day 4 in Vinegar. I could probably take the Dremel tool and Drill with wire brush to it at this point, but I am still going to let it soak a couple more days. This stuff is amazing on Iron. BAD thing is I know a guy that drinks this stuff..OMG..If it will dissolve rust off of iron think about what it would do to your stomach.
    Very nice Zax - workin' just like it's supposed to! BTW, you can likely pop some of those remaining rust spots off with the point of a pocket knife. Apple cider vinegar is an amazing product. It's gotta lot of uses - works great on cleaning glass too. And, yes, it's good for you! I take a shot every now and then myself, though I mix some water with it.

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    825 times
    Looking good! I'm guessing no markings were left? Well no big deal it's still a great looking relic even if you don't know who made it!
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors