Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Dug a Pistol today!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2011
    West of the Mississippi
    Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
    303 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Stonewall View Post
    You're more than welcome. I'm just sharing what I learned from someone else. Like I said, be patient - it could take a week or so, but it will work.
    Well, I learned something too!! Thanks!
    Respect the research and permissions of others...Seriously...

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Jan 2011
    Dalton,Ga.
    Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxfire69 View Post
    I sure will Rob. I'm looking for the fellow on here that cleaned his axe heads recently. I want to say he soaked them in some type of vinegar and would take them out occasionally and wire brush them. I don't want to electrolysis this one. I will do some research for sure and see what I can come up with Also...If any of you can ID the gun by all means jump on in. I'm trying to Id it now by the shape of it.
    I did a doubled bitted spliting axe, I took two days, And two bottles of vineger. And buddy it did a wonderfull job! I'd say one to two days, whatever is left on day one take a brass brush and lightly brush it off, then another soaking, when your done with the vineger bath make sure the run rinse it in cold plain water, to stop the process, Good luck and please show us the results, Cant wait to see it cleaned up. HH

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams-

us
    Jun 2008
    Fisher F75 / Ace 250/ ATPro
    104 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I'll take a picture when I get home in the morning. Hopefully this wire brushing will show some details. It is in rough shape.

us
    Jun 2008
    104 times
    Banner Finds (1)

This is after 3 days in Vinegar.

Going to leave it in and change the Vinegar tonight or tomorrow.

us
    Rob

Apr 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Whites Prism IV
    5 times
    Awesome find zaxfire69 and great info Stonewall,thx

us
    Jun 2008
    104 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Day 4 in Vinegar. I could probably take the Dremel tool and Drill with wire brush to it at this point, but I am still going to let it soak a couple more days. This stuff is amazing on Iron. BAD thing is I know a guy that drinks this stuff..OMG..If it will dissolve rust off of iron think about what it would do to your stomach.

us
    Relic Hunter & Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2SE, Fisher 1266X, Garrett Propointer
    288 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

This is after 3 days in Vinegar.

Going to leave it in and change the Vinegar tonight or tomorrow.
    Oh yeah, it's working, it's working right on schedule. Comin' right along. Keep at it, don't be afraid to brush it.
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

Proud great-great grandson of three Confederate soldiers: John Meredith Crutchfield who served with the 60th Virginia, Maurice Coffey, & John McGann who both served with the 51st Virginia. Grandpa Crutchfield and Grandpa Coffey were both wounded and both served time in Yankee prisons.

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    288 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I like your quote! Is that original?
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

Proud great-great grandson of three Confederate soldiers: John Meredith Crutchfield who served with the 60th Virginia, Maurice Coffey, & John McGann who both served with the 51st Virginia. Grandpa Crutchfield and Grandpa Coffey were both wounded and both served time in Yankee prisons.

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    288 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Day 4 in Vinegar. I could probably take the Dremel tool and Drill with wire brush to it at this point, but I am still going to let it soak a couple more days. This stuff is amazing on Iron. BAD thing is I know a guy that drinks this stuff..OMG..If it will dissolve rust off of iron think about what it would do to your stomach.
    Very nice Zax - workin' just like it's supposed to! BTW, you can likely pop some of those remaining rust spots off with the point of a pocket knife. Apple cider vinegar is an amazing product. It's gotta lot of uses - works great on cleaning glass too. And, yes, it's good for you! I take a shot every now and then myself, though I mix some water with it.

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    617 times
    Looking good! I'm guessing no markings were left? Well no big deal it's still a great looking relic even if you don't know who made it!
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Charter Member
    us
    I Often Find Myself Killing Time Looking For What Time Has Killed!

Feb 2009
    Morehead City / Newport NC
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro
    409 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    I've looked at a lot of them & the best match to me is the colt new line 32.cal.
    Take Care,
    Pete,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20916_0500d_1_lg[1].jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	730.2 KB 
ID:	634245  
    Them Colonials​Can't Hide Nowhere Now!

us
    Apr 2009
    Central New York
    Minelab Ctx 3030
    306 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Very cool

us
    Jun 2008
    104 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Thanks Nola Ken, Pete and Coop. I'm like you guys. The Colt New Line is the closest match I could find. I fit a .22 bullet into the end of the barrel and it was larger than the bullet. That leads me to believe that it is a .32 caliber. It was about that size. I bought my Briwax today to preserve the gun. A couple more days in the cider and it should be ready to finish cleaning and then heating and applying wax. I'm excited to get it out and preserve it.

us
    Apr 2012
    Tallahassee Fl
    Still researching my first detector
    2 times
    Coin Roll Hunting, Metal Detecting
    So sweet! I can't wait to see how it cleans up too. Perhaps you can treat us with pictures each step of the way.......

Apr 2012
    Amboy Washington
    Quattro, DeLeon, Tiger Shark, Garrett probe , 5" concentric , 10.5 " DD & 18" DD for minelabs. 8" coil hard wired to TS
    51 times
    Try the buffer and blue wonder. Looks like it could use some new grips too. The replacement cylinder is a little pricey though. I wouldn't try shooting it till you slug the barrel either. Just sayin...
    It's no wonder truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. Mark Twain

us
    Jun 2008
    104 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Ghostcoast I'm going to Take pictures for sure. As far as shooting or putting grips on this gun..she has seen better days! Time for the display case now.

us
    Dobie

May 2012
    Canton, Michigan
    Garrett Ace 350
    Great find! It makes you wonder just how old it is, and if it was used in any old crime.
    Please keep us updated.

us
    Dobie

May 2012
    Canton, Michigan
    Garrett Ace 350
    Wow, that Colt sure does look close. You mail have nailed it timekeeper.

us
    Jun 2008
    104 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    It is in the oven! Pictures to Follow!

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    288 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Lookin' forward to seeing the final product!

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors