Two Civil War muskets in one day: Part 2 w/video and pics.

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two Civil War muskets in one day: Part 2 w/video and pic's.

Just to add some to HomeGuardDans post, here are some more pictures and a link to a video we shot of our hunt. We both did quite well, each found an Enfield musket and bayonet, plus bullets and other odds and ends. I was hoping the day would go well as I had some really good luck just as I was getting ready to leave the house to drive to the site. I had lost my cell phone (again) and was franticly tearing up my truck looking for it as I didn't want to be late. Lo and behold, I found a U.S. belt buckle that I had lost years ago and had thought gone forever, hidden away in the truck. It is my favorite buckle that I found in the water and am able to wear with a repro belt. Needless to say, I was stoked to go after that. Back to the pictures...

First up is a picture of some of our finds. Dan took most of his stuff home with him except for some iron that I will work up for him.

P5200004.jpg

Next is a picture of me just as I pulled up my musket. I was very happy indeed.

P5180008.jpg

Here is Dan as he is slowly pulling his musket from the mud. If you watch the video, you will hear that I do in fact "get excited" on occasion.:tongue3:

P5180005.jpg

Here are two bayonets. The one on top is Dan's. I told him he had a rather "diminutive" specimen. He wasn't laughing. :laughing7:

P5200008.jpg

This was the only shell or frag that we found. I'd bet that there's a whole one there somewhere. Hopefully we'll get to post it one day!

P5200014.jpg

This is a weird little doodad. It's a damaged bust of "A. Lincoln". I'd like to think a rebel sharpshooter shot the head off of it, but I suspect it's post war.

P5200011.jpg

Here is a typical bullet that we were finding at this site.

P5190022.jpg

This is a close up of one of the screws in some wood from Dan's musket. Notice how well preserved it is from being in the mud.

P5180007-001.jpg

You'll have to watch the video for an explanation of this one. "A musket...really?"

P5180011.jpg

End of the day, and what a great day it was.

P5190035.jpg

And to finish up, here is a link to a short video we shot. Check it out if you have few extra minutes...

Thanks for hanging in there!!!

Upvote 5

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Great finds and video. Both should be banner finds in my book. Tennessee digger

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, but I feel like such a crybaby now :tongue3:. I think I'll keep my new avatar, as a reminder not to be a crybaby and because it makes me laugh :laughing7:

You both Have Banner !
I see you both up there, & you both have it in listed below your avatar 8-)

Great Finds ! Congrats !

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Great video and finds. Keep us posted on that site, looks like a lot of area to cover.
-Ev

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, I did find out what the "A. Lincoln" bust thingy is that is in the middle of my pictures as posted above. It appears to be a small "coin bank" that was given out as advertising from banks. I saw one listed on eBay as circa 1970. So much for the Confederate Sharpshooter theory :tongue3:

lockdownking

Dec 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Permission to include your finds in my magazine

Aquachigger,
Can I use your photos in a magazine article?

James
Reconnaissance Treasure Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/groups/693009640760899/

Just to add some to HomeGuardDans post, here are some more pictures and a link to a video we shot of our hunt. We both did quite well, each found an Enfield musket and bayonet, plus bullets and other odds and ends. I was hoping the day would go well as I had some really good luck just as I was getting ready to leave the house to drive to the site. I had lost my cell phone (again) and was franticly tearing up my truck looking for it as I didn't want to be late. Lo and behold, I found a U.S. belt buckle that I had lost years ago and had thought gone forever, hidden away in the truck. It is my favorite buckle that I found in the water and am able to wear with a repro belt. Needless to say, I was stoked to go after that. Back to the pictures...

First up is a picture of some of our finds. Dan took most of his stuff home with him except for some iron that I will work up for him.

View attachment 638184

Next is a picture of me just as I pulled up my musket. I was very happy indeed.

View attachment 638185

Here is Dan as he is slowly pulling his musket from the mud. If you watch the video, you will hear that I do in fact "get excited" on occasion.:tongue3:

View attachment 638187

Here are two bayonets. The one on top is Dan's. I told him he had a rather "diminutive" specimen. He wasn't laughing. :laughing7:

View attachment 638188

This was the only shell or frag that we found. I'd bet that there's a whole one there somewhere. Hopefully we'll get to post it one day!

View attachment 638189

This is a weird little doodad. It's a damaged bust of "A. Lincoln". I'd like to think a rebel sharpshooter shot the head off of it, but I suspect it's post war.

View attachment 638190

Here is a typical bullet that we were finding at this site.

View attachment 638220

This is a close up of one of the screws in some wood from Dan's musket. Notice how well preserved it is from being in the mud.

View attachment 638224

You'll have to watch the video for an explanation of this one. "A musket...really?"

View attachment 638191

End of the day, and what a great day it was.

View attachment 638192

And to finish up, here is a link to a short video we shot. Check it out if you have few extra minutes...

Thanks for hanging in there!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread