Last few outtings. Small Thimble and Big Military Button

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
Howdy all,

This is the "best of" from the last few outings we have been on. (we being me and some great detecting bro's!)

forum0502.jpg

The silver thimble was actually a turf find from what was believed to be an old picnic ground in central/northern CA.
It's a size 9 and "sterling" is seen circling the 9... My first ever silver thimble-Pretty stoked about that.

forum0501.jpg

Also hit a few super small demos... Total time was maybe 30 minutes to an hour finding these goodies.
The glass bits are nothing special, BUT do rep 1800's ground. The little lock thingy came from the same, small corner demo location.

Now the real winner (IMHO) was the big military button. I did a google search in many combinations but couldn't find a darn thing on it. Larger than a half and about the same size as a dollar coin.
(the white stuff is left over preservation wax I still need to clean out) Looks WWII era'ish but was found in a turn of the century park.

IMG_3575.JPG Before and after forum0505.jpg

The back and a comparison...

forum0504.jpg forum0503.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy tecting in 2012!

Last edited:
Upvote 2

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
You should be stocked about that thimble. It's very cool to find them in my book.

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: nice finds....HH to you also

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big button might be the big emblem we wore on what we called our "cab driver hat". Seems to be the right size, yours might be a little older than mine?

Attachments

• Hat 001.JPG
    Hat 001.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Hat 002.JPG
    Hat 002.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
turf_aholic

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
Howdy TCIM and Oldsalty... Thanks for the replies.

Hey Fluke that is the closest match I have come up with so far. Yours certainly looks a bunch better than mine by a mile.
Thanks for the time and reply with photos too! Well done.
Peter

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it should be a hat insignia, I believe pre-WW1. Maybe model 1912 or perhaps even earlier

OP
OP
turf_aholic

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
Thanks Jewelerguy-That would be incredible to say the least... I like your thinking on that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread