Not open for further replies.

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay fellas, believe it or not, I recently dug up an 1870 "CC" Seated Liberty Half Dollar. When i found it, i only knew it was a Seated Liberty Half as i didn't want to clean it in the field. Anyway, after doing the "happy dance" for a awhile I headed home to rinse it off and do some research. I knew the seated liberty halves could fetch a few hundred dollars in good shape, so i really was happy as a pig in poop with that. Then while doing some reading i came across the statement "of particular interest to collectors is the rare 1870 Carson City Seated Half.....". Now my hearts beating a tad faster, because after cleaning the mud off it IS an 1870...but what the hell is the Carson City mean?? So after some more googling I find that Carson City was a mint and coins minted there will have a small "CC" on the reverse. Holy !!!!...no friggin way...there it is, right under the eagle's talons..."CC". So now, with my heart really beating and a !!!! eatin' grin on my face, i'm back on Google searching for the value of this coin. OH MY GOD! Never in a million years did i think i could find a single coin worth what this one is. I mean previous to this, i was hoping to find a gold ring worth a couple hundred bucks. I know most of you are going to believe this coin is a fake, or I'm a liar..but rest assured i am not a liar and I've already had an authorized PCGS agent look at it and confirm that he thought it was genuine. Enough so that he offered me 5 grand! Besides, the coin has been sent off to Heritage Auctions so I'll have the proof and the check soon.

Attachments

• _MG_9579.jpg
    _MG_9579.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 871
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,014
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 736
Upvote 21

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone found an original signed copy of the Declaration Of Independence it would be an once in a lifetime, AMAZING find, but if they found it before joining TreasureNet it wouldn't qualify as a Banner Find here.....

Correct ! only if they were here long enough, that we were reasonably confident it was a real & new find.

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SmokinJoe, That is a Fantastic Find, a true find of a Life Time.
All though it might not fit for a Banner Find here, It IS a BANNER FIND.
Congratulations
Happy Hunting
Kevin

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Treasure_Hunter said:
Not taking anything away from your great find at all, only that while it is a great find, it wouldnt qualify as a banner find since you found it before joining TreasureNet.

Rules are rules. Some Made to be broken, some not. Looking back at all the things that are on the banner, I would not worry about being up there. Like all other detecting forums there are people or groups of people who are above the rules.

If you joined T-Net and made a few posts then put up your find I bet you would still not made it because you were to new.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rules are rules. Some Made to be broken, some not. Looking back at all the things that are on the banner, I would not worry about being up there. Like all other detecting forums there are people or groups of people who are above the rules.

If you joined T-Net and made a few posts then put up your find I bet you would still not made it because you were to new.

This is true as well, Land-mag had some posts (low count under 10) & found a banner find whilst being a member & never made it because he was 'too new'. He knew what he had & that is all that matters, he sucked it up, thats the way of the banner & it would be a shame to water it down.........

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
If you joined T-Net and made a few posts...

Or a few hundred with only a :thumbsup: or a :hello2: or maybe a :occasion14: just to get their post count up. No real meaning or meat to the post, just numbers.

There are some that do that to a bunch of posts everyday and their post count is in the thousand +.

Last edited:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome dude:thumbsup::occasion14:

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I were you I wouldn't care whether it was pictured up on top of this screen or not... A lot of treasure hunters will get to see it and will be inspired by it so don't sweat the small stuff... Great find there dude!

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My two cents...

Regardless, of whether SmokinJoe is a new member or not, his find is more than 90% of us will ever unearth. I typically shy away from replying to posts that tend toward arguements. Yet for some reason I felt compelled to add my thoughts. Are we not all adults?; Do we really need to question a find of this magnitude? Treasure Net has their rules and honorably stick by them. We all know it is a "Banner" find and to argue about it only makes us on TNet look foolish. Remember, we all show interest in one anothers finds because we love what we do-Metal detecting is not a competitive activity but a hobby for self and to share with others. I applaude SmokinJoe and his hard work in researching the location. I also applaude Treasure Net for sticking to their guns.

Thanks everyone and hope all have the best of luck out there!

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner be damned ...thats an awesome find Joe...congrats ! I think you should give half the profits to Crusader as a token of good will to our two countrys. :laughing7:

FamilyFun2010

Apr 16, 2010
Morehead, Ky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites TRX pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT SAVE! It looks to be in really great shape to be 140 years old. Finds like that are what keeps us going! I don't know that I could have parted with it though. lol Just way cool! Congrats again.:thumbsup::occasion14::notworthy:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner be damned ...thats an awesome find Joe...congrats ! I think you should give half the profits to Crusader as a token of good will to our two countrys. :laughing7:

I don't need it, give it to charity (if the Land owner agrees)

Hans R Dirty

Nov 25, 2009
Wow, finally got to the last page (grin) Congratulations sir, I hope your find is authentic. This being your first silver coin and post, you certainly made it a spoiler! Well done and welcome to the forum.

jimmy uk

Nov 3, 2010
Essex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
54,617 1870 CC half dollars minted according to my 2012 Redbook. I would call that a Banner Coin all day long. You get my vote for Banner!

so are you saying there was 54 thousand of theses coins that where minted? if so then it aint a rare coin then ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so are you saying there was 54 thousand of theses coins that where minted? if so then it aint a rare coin then ?

Compared to US Minting standards at the time yes pretty rare.
Plus you can also add that cc (Carson City) is a dead mint

Marc in VA

Jun 27, 2003
Stafford, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, 3 Minelab XS Explorers
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on a find of a lifetime. Looks like you may have stired up some jealousy with your killer find. Dont let it get to you. I would put that baby up on the banner in a heartbeat. Now as a poster who has also found a find of a lifetime I offer some advice. Do not be in any hurry and do your homework before selling. Heritage is a well known rare coin auction house so you shouldnt have any problems. I consigned my 1792 half disme to Stacks Rare Coins and it was auctioned at the Baltimore auction a few years back. Make sure your coin is well advertised. As far as selling it, I know it is a tough decission. Make sure you have plenty of pictures and copies of any publications that your coin may be in. Once your coin is sold these will be the only memories that you will have. I like most others here are not in it for the money. I coin and relic hunt for the love of history and the thrill of the find. I do not sell what I find. I plan to keep my finds and pass them down for other generations to enjoy and learn from. With that being said, when you make a 4 or 5 figure find it is hard not to think about the monatary gain. Now back to the banner thing. Who cares if you are new or not. Exceptions can be made. I was new when I dug my half disme. I signed up and posted my find a day after finding it because I was asked to do so. The banner is there for recognition but it is also there for advertising the site. The first thing I do when I log on is look at the banner and if there is anything there that interests me I continue looking. I like you had no idea what the banner even was when I first posted. I didnt post my find to win any contests. I posted so others could enjoy and to give others hope that killer finds can be made. Congrats again on your find.

Marc

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes Jimmy. Normally when coins were minted back in the middle to late 1800's the coin numbers minted were usually, but not always, Several Hundred Thousand.. I'm talking about Half Dollars especially. 54,000 is a low mint number of coins for that year. Since the Carson City mint only minted Silver Half Dollars for about 8 years and was a mint for 23 years it makes coins from CC more valuable. Also another tidbit of pointless fact is that the silver that these coins were minted came from the Comstock Lode. The First MAJOR discovery of Silver ore in the U.S. SO to me that makes this coin special. If i would have found that coin I would care less if it made the banner or not. But to me that coin should be on top SIMPLY because of its low mintage and Value. We are talking a .50 cent piece that is worth probably several Thousand Dollars to a collector. I didn't realize the fellow that found it was a brand new member. Still one heck of a great find with a metal detector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread