zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another Large cent! Updated pic

I went out digging a spot yesterday that I've hunted to death. I put the AtPro in Pro mode zero and didn't discrim out anything. Listened to all the iron. I was inside of an iron patch and heard a faint high tone. It was repeatable so I decided to dig the signal thinking it was just a junk target. Registered 88 on the machine. Cut the plug and pinpointed still in the hole. Moved some dirt out and this was looking at me from atop the pile.

3652ef19.jpg

I also found a scabbord tip that I haven't cleaned yet, but will do so tomorrow. I believe this is a 1857 Large cent, because all I can see is the 7. All in all a good short hunt.
419823d1.jpg

ce2305bf.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 1

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! Always love digging a large cent.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Riverrat. I've dug 5 Large cents in the last few years from this park. I love to dig large cents.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome recovery! Any chances of pulling a date? Possibly 1826?

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find..congrats

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice one Zax. I'm curious, how do you like the AT Pro vs. the F75? I have the AT Pro and also the T2SE. Haven't used the AT Pro much except in water - still trying to get the hang of the T2.

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO, it looks to be a braided hair cent and not a coronet cent so that would rule out 1826. So if you definetely see a "7" at the end it would either be an 1847 or an 1857. Let's hope its the '57...because it was issued in a small date and a large date version, the latter being the more valuable. Either way, the '57 is worth almost double the '47. Nice find regardless.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I do believe it to be either a 47 or a 57. What puzzles me is how far that seven is behind the head. You can see the seven, but the pictures I look at in the redbook the spacing is a little different. I'm guessing that every coin probably is a little different. Stonewall the Atpro in my opinion in the iron is easier to use than the F75. Now in the iron they are what and what..Only difference in the Atpro is the high tones it gives off mixed in with the grunts of iron. The F75 does the same, but the tones on the ATpro are easier for me to decipher. F75 is a little deeper. I want to dig bullets I grab the F75. I want to dig coins I grab AtPro. Both awesome detectors!

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking forward to seeing the year. Well done!! :occasion14:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not see the "7" that everyone sees, but agree that it is a braided LC. I see a circular digit where the last digit would be in the date, and believe it is in the right place to be the bottom half of an "8". My vote is for 1848.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I cleaned it up as much as I am going to clean it. I still am having a hard time seeing a date. Alright I can't get a date off of it, but I think it is a Braided LC. These pictures are a little more detailed. I'm not going to clean it anymore. I don't want to ruin the details I have. Thanks for looking everyone.
26ffc7e9.jpg

eebc73f3.jpg

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone. I do believe it to be either a 47 or a 57. What puzzles me is how far that seven is behind the head. You can see the seven, but the pictures I look at in the redbook the spacing is a little different. I'm guessing that every coin probably is a little different. Stonewall the Atpro in my opinion in the iron is easier to use than the F75. Now in the iron they are what and what..Only difference in the Atpro is the high tones it gives off mixed in with the grunts of iron. The F75 does the same, but the tones on the ATpro are easier for me to decipher. F75 is a little deeper. I want to dig bullets I grab the F75. I want to dig coins I grab AtPro. Both awesome detectors!

Thanks!

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish that date was there, but I think it is long gone. Someone may have removed it??? Never know. I like it just the way it is.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Nothing like pulling those big green dirty disks out of the ground. Nice!

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet coin, brother. I love hearing the story behind the find. I'm tempted to pick up an AT Pro... I saw one on sale the other day for 500 with 3 coils on Kijiji.

Edit: Scratch that, it's sold. :(

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dicejr2011 said:
Nice coin Zax!! What did u use to clean it? Always looking for a better method.

Water, toothbrush and 2 quick navel jelly scrubs. Didn't want to discolor the coin. I'm going to rub some Vaseline on it and call it a day.

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those LCs are really cool to find.....congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread