Some more CW finds at the local school yard. Possible ANCIENT LEAD COIN!?! I wish!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are all my after work finds from this past week. It's nice to go right up the road to a school and get some CW relics! Got some nice sharps and burnsides and a few round balls. A bunch of clad and found my first half dollar ever. Just a 1990 kenedy, but still my first! The big mystery item is this lead piece that looks a lot like an ancient lead based coin. I understand it's very wishful thinking...and could possibly at least be a replica of an ancient coin. You guys can take a look and have a go at it! Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Attachments

• Jefferson5.jpg
    Jefferson5.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Jefferson4.jpg
    Jefferson4.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 167
  • Jefferson3.jpg
    Jefferson3.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Jefferson2.jpg
    Jefferson2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Jefferson1.jpg
    Jefferson1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 0

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Your lucky to be in a area like that. I guess folks down your way don't dig lead signals or they don't hunt schools like they do around my way. That lead round kinda looks like a bag seal.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking a seal of some sort, but the dots that outline it are very odd!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange laed thing:icon_scratch:

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the awesome relics. You make finding bullets look easy lol! Congrats on your first half.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is crazy to get all that at a public spot, how is it that no one hasnt cleaned this area out yet?

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is crazy to get all that at a public spot, how is it that no one hasnt cleaned this area out yet?

No idea. I have seen guys detecting in fields nearby before. I guess they figure they would find modern junk? Although I bet when the school was built in the 70's and the construction was being done where the actual school sets, a lot of guys got in there and detected it. In behind the school though it looks recently leveled off with grass replanted. Would explain most of the bullets being 1-4 inches in depth.

There's an old farm house that is right before you get to the school. I'm gonna try and gain permission to detect the fields this fall/winter.

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like another terrific day for you there Matt! Can't help on the lead thingy, but if you ever want a custom display case for your CW finds, let me know!

woodennickels

Jun 1, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
F75SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. Probably at a school I went to as a kid since I lived in Charles Town then. I am out that way a couple times a month but never got to the schools with the detector yet. Just got permission to an old farm out there that turned up CW relics- too bad I won't be the first to detect it- if only I had a better detector when I was stacking hay for them back in the '91. I should detect out there more often- let me know if you need a hunting partner. Still haven't found a half myself- bucket list

almost forgot- I have a similar lead disc about the size of a dime but it has twisted copper wire imbedded in it- though maybe a homemade seal??
-Eric

Last edited:
OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like another terrific day for you there Matt! Can't help on the lead thingy, but if you ever want a custom display case for your CW finds, let me know!

Definitely need some cases for my finds. I'll let you know bud.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Matt and my first thought was a lead seal of some sort too. A little small for a poker chip but I have seen some ornately carved ones and found one myself. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Quindy. I haven't seen too many varieties of lead seals and noticed mine didn't really look like any I've seen. One of those pieces we may never know what it truly is!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the bullets and from a school area. That is wild. Last school I hunted we found 9 mm casings haha. I did dig a lead quarter one time. Have you learned what battle or skirmish was in that area?
Good luck I am sure there is more there.
HH
TnMtns

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

woodennickels

Jun 1, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
F75SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Matt,

If these were found at Jefferson HS (where I graduated) I am surprised of the quantity of lead (more than I have accidentaly found in all my detecting) I know the F75 is hot on lead but it must have been in an area most people wouldn't be coin shooting much. Several years ago they had the ground all torn up and added quite a big addition I am sure people would have detected it at that time. I agree all the old farms adjacent to that school would have potential. Have you ever been to Morgan's Grove- always wanted to do that but it most likely has been hit hard and not worth the gas for me.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the middle school next to the high school. I found bullets in a bunch of different areas on the school grounds. I've heard of Morgan's Grove when looking up parks in my area. Wasn't sure if you could detect there or not though.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its far more likely to be an early Lead Token, plenty found in Britain but very few turn up over there.

UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD
Thousands of types, I just picked one at random, far too many too search though.

Thanks, Cru. I was looking at the tokens, too. Would be pretty cool in my book either way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread