Advice for my finds?

Aug 11, 2012
Brentwood
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello
Im Rebecca, im currently doing some Archaeological work experience in Azerbaijan, (situated between Turkey and Russia etc)
And i uncovered some pottery, I have very basic knowledge as im only really here to map significant Archeological areas.
I also have very basic equipment.
Bascally I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on the safest ways to clean it up.
I also found some form of metal impliment, likely a knife, how would I go about cleaning this aswell?
Thank you :) x
Once its al clean etc il post up some pictures x

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome:hello:

I assume the pottery shards are basically clay. Therefore warm soapy water with a nail brush will be fine. This is how I clean my Iron Age/Roman/Medieval pots pieces.

Is the knife made from Iron?
If so, it will need electrolysis before it drys & crumbles to bits in the air. If you don't have a kit, which are very cheap, then I've been experimenting with a liberal dose of olive oil. This will stop it drying out & so far it seems to stop the Iron-Oxide from forming. (it will also do it no harm)

Last edited:

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That just don't make sense. If you are only there to map significant Archeological areas then why are you removing item's and trying to clean them? You make it sound as if you are there "mapping area's" for future dig's by professionals. So why are you removing items? That should be left for the professionals. To me it seem's that if you are in fact on a ligitimate job, your instructors would have instructed you what you need to know. I wonder if you are raiding a place and keeping items for yourself?

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That just don't make sense. If you are only there to map significant Archeological areas then why are you removing item's and trying to clean them? You make it sound as if you are there "mapping area's" for future dig's by professionals. So why are you removing items? That should be left for the professionals. To me it seem's that if you are in fact on a ligitimate job, your instructors would have instructed you what you need to know. I wonder if you are raiding a place and keeping items for yourself?

Agree, Lady Pirate-I was thinking the same, "work experience and no one is teaching her anything?"

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. I agree that something seems fishy about the original post BUT

2. We are not here to Attack anyone on the forum!

THANKS!

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy- I am NOT attacking, you even said something seems fishy. So I was not mean. If she is mapping an area for an Archeological dig, then she should know all the steps involved in the process. I know this because I have family that is very involved in Archeological History/ Digging etc.etc.. We have talked in depths on how some places and processes can take an immense amount of time. Especially the preservation of objects. You just don't look at a place, dig up an object, then clean it if it is for "work experience" as she says. She would not be on her own- her finds could possibly be a "significant piece of history" and very valuable. That's why I "question"....it just makes no sense......

OP
OP
R
Aug 11, 2012
Brentwood
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you read where I am? Azerbaijan couldnt care less about thier Archaeology.
Im mapping archaeoological areas for my uncles company.
His company is telling the gold mine where to:
1: Next mine
2: where to avoid
My uncle hasnt got an archaeologist hired because as I said they dont really care for thier history seeing as they have completely destroyed nearly two mountains and plenty of sites for thier mine and pipelline.
So ive found some pottery at one of the dig sites which i pulled out the wall of one of thier test digs and i have to present it to the head of the mine in an attempt to convince them to not destroy the site. Seeing as they see it as a pile of rocks with gold in it. Whereas me and my uncle see it as a possible iron age hill fort.
And anyway what on earth would I want with Azerbaijanian pottery shards? Also even if i was "stealing it" how exactly would i get it though customs!?

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I don't get this attract thing. I don't see any attacks. Her second post did clear things up a bit. Well any way there is a forum on t-net on cleaning. Look it up. Tons of good advice there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R
Aug 11, 2012
Brentwood
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont even know how to map properly yet my uncle is teaching me !?
This is a bit of experience to try and get me into Uni to do Archaeology....
They have found loads of pottery n stuff at the mine seeing as they have dug out a whole mountain... and the museum wasnt interested?

OP
OP
R
Aug 11, 2012
Brentwood
Primary Interest:
Other
i tried to find some cleaning sites but they talked about some acid stuff, whereas i have bottled water and a toothbrush, just wanted to make sure I didnt damage it =/

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like she has perfectly good intentions after she explained it at depth. CRUSADER knows his stuff and is the perfect one to get advice from. Best of luck to you.

DANGLANGLEY

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, my Uncle is a Geologist. I think he helps companies find Oil.

Anyway, water & your troothbrush will be fine.

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you read where I am? Azerbaijan couldnt care less about thier Archaeology ... My uncle hasnt got an archaeologist hired because as I said they dont really care for thier history seeing as they have completely destroyed nearly two mountains and plenty of sites for thier mine and pipelline.

Good afternoon Rebecca

One place to check with in Azerbaijan or neighboring countries is with the BTC (Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan) Pipeline contractor. The prime used to be an Indian company but there are some very large subcontractors, including excavators. At one point, they were required to document and preserve any significant findings and they were inspected for compliance quite often. They found, cataloged, stored and shared (and, yes, lost) a lot of important archaeological specimens. As you know, the area is very rich in history.

Of course, you can contact Baku State University for assistance, especially their Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology. They are very keen to expand and preserve their knowledge of Caucasian/Caspian history. I lived in Tbilisi for 3-1/2 years before, during and after the Rose Revolution. I have, on several occasions, been the only metal detectorist ever on several important sites in neighboring Georgia. I always accompanied a/the site archaeologist and any significant finds always belonged to the state or university. That seemed fair to me. Still, it was a great experience and both parties benefited. A couple of my finds are in museums there.

I take strong exception to your statements as quoted above. It is western-centric and lacks perspective. Your anecdotes don't describe the situation fairly or completely. It's true that a developing extraction-based economy like Azerbaijan (or Georgia) often can't afford to protect its history but that doesn't mean they don't care or that it's free for someone else to take.

At one time I had close friendships with several prominent Georgian archaeologists and professors. They constantly complained of the lack of protection for their heritage and history due to lack of funding and priorities. However, many foreign institutions have and are partnering with local archaeologists to bridge that gap. Emerging from the dominance and neglect of the Soviet Union will take many more years but it improves every year. Archaeology has not been not one of the highest priorities like, say, clean water, schools and national defense.

Why don't you invite the above-mentioned BSU Museum of Anthropology and Ethnology to send someone out to tell you what to look for, what you've found and how best to preserve your finds. Yes, you may have to turn over some good finds to the state if they come out but they belonged to them in the first place anyway and you're not there to profit from them, as I interpret your posts. It's a good chance to learn some important things and to find out, up close and personal, whether they care or not.

In case you haven't yet read it, I strongly recommend the book
Ali and Nino by Jenia Graman. It might give you a different perspective on your Azeri hosts.

Chuck

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. I agree that something seems fishy about the original post BUT

2. We are not here to Attack anyone on the forum!

THANKS!

Best Wishes,

Buckles
Who are you saying attacked somebody...was a post removed?

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No post was removed Lookingdown . I don't know why BuckleBoy said that?? Anywho..... Chuck- great note! I do hope that Rebecca and her uncle can get someone to help stop the gold mining and/or pipeline ( I don't which- she mentions both) at that specific area. It would be nice if Rebecca's uncle had a nice little host of artifacts to show the necessary people since he is the geologist and is giving the yea/ neigh to mine in the area. Crusader, my husband is a Geologist and does work in the fields drilling for oil or natural gas. Oh my Gosh..... If the team ever came across ancient artifacts..... The brakes would be put on so fast and nothing would go forward. A drilling company's nightmare!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread