UNBELIEVABLE !!! 76th Regiment of Foot (McDonalds Highlanders)

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UNBELIEVABLE !!! 76th Regiment of Foot (McDonald's Highlanders)

UPDATE : UNBELIEVABLE! One of my flat buttons is a 76th Regiment of Foot (BRITISH) « on: Today at 04:19:54 PM »

Thought everyone on Treasurenet would appreciate what I dug today. This is the FIRST British button I've ever found AND its coated in silver plate!!!!
smiley-eatdrink004.gif
Just got in and I am soaking wet. The weatherman predicted 50% rain yesterday and it NEVER rained. Today they predicted 40% so I took my chance. Finally got to my spot and after about 2 hrs the rumbling of thunder began and then the sky let loose. It always happens to me like this........and the last find of the day was an eagle cuff button too! Man I didn't want to leave! I parked myself under a big old oak tree but the rain just got worse and worse. Anyway, here are my finds for the 11th of August. The standing liberty quarter was a surprise but I'll take silver anyday! Did get 3 dropped 69 caliber bullets (one is carved). These are my favorite bullets to find. When I was just 16, a couple months after I took up the hobby, I dug 52 of these monsters out of one pit along with a Jefferson Davis hat pin. Those were the days!!! Anyway I think I got 46 bullets altogether and a couple of flat buttons. Got a pile of shotgun shells also..... Hope everyone gets there coil over something good this weekend! UPDATE : One of my flat buttons is a British 76th Regiment of Foot!!! The 76th Regiment of Foot was also known as MacDonald's Highlanders. They arrived in New York in 1779. Winter of 1779 - 1780 in Brooklyn. Winter of 1780-1781 in New York City. Feb 16, 1781, batallions were sent to Virginia. Operations against Lafayette in Virginia. Captured at the fall of Yorktown. This button is an officers pattern, large one piece copper with silvered face and soldered loop shank. Motif of raised Arabic numeral "76" within an oval with a floral garland border. 21.3 mm. Extremely rare. UPDATE : To show what a historical find this is according to records researched by the NPS at Yorktown : the 76th Regiment of Foot was formed in Scotland in 1777. Three hundred and forty-five men were present at the battle and were known as MacDonald's Highlanders. Major Francis Needham was the commander of this group which was disbanded in 1784. 385 men and I was fortunate to locate an OFFICERS button!!! According to another member of My Treasurespot this is the 4th known officer's button dug in Virginia. After their capture they were sent to a POW camp in Winchester, Va. The other known 76th officers buttons were found in Winchester, Berryville, and Fredericksburg Virginia. I knew England had Hessian mercenaries but I never knew they had men from Scotland as well. This is such an amazing hobby we all have! To me there is nothing better than discovering a relic that was last held over 2 centuries agoand is such a revelant part of our history and heritage! The relics I uncover continue to teach me parts of history that I would have never known without their discovery. Thanks for all the nice responses.....I could hardly sleep last night from the rush I had! I will always cherish this button and the memory of finding it! Devonrex

Attachments

• SAM_0329.JPG
    SAM_0329.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 767
  • SAM_0331.JPG
    SAM_0331.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 295
  • SAM_0324.JPG
    SAM_0324.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 322
  • SAM_0321.JPG
    SAM_0321.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 335
  • SAM_0337.JPG
    SAM_0337.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Upvote 7
OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once again I wanted to thank everyone for all the nice responses and those who nominated this find for banner! Making the banner has never been my objective when I search for relics.......I rather love saving history and the thrill I get from holding an artifact that was last held by a soldier either during the Revolutionary or Civil War that has a direct link to our history and heritage. I often wonder what the person was like who lost it, what he or she was doing, what was going on around them, who they were thinking of, etc. If only the relics could speak to me........ I have to admit though, I thought for sure my 76th Regiment of Foot button would hit banner by now. It easily ranks up there in the top 5 discoveries I have ever made. It has extreme rarity, a high monetary value, and a direct link to the birth of our nation. I guess the moderators of this site have their reasons for what they place up top. Relics don't seem to get to much attention anymore at this site and I think its unfornunate. If it wasn't for our past our country wouldn't be where we are today. We are the greatest country in the world and we owe it to our ancestors who paved the way.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again I wanted to thank everyone for all the nice responses and those who nominated this find for banner! Making the banner has never been my objective when I search for relics.......I rather love saving history and the thrill I get from holding an artifact that was last held by a soldier either during the Revolutionary or Civil War and has a direct link to our history and heritage. I often wonder what the person was like who lost it, what he or she was doing, what was going on around them, who they were thinking of, etc. If only the relics could speak to me........ I have to admit though, I thought for sure my 76th Regiment of Foot button would hit banner by now. It easily ranks up there in the top 5 discoveries I have ever made. It has extreme rarity, a high monetary value, and a direct link to the birth of our nation. I guess the moderators of this site have their reasons for what they place up top. Relics don't seem to get to much attention anymore at this site and I think its unfornunate. If it wasn't for our past our country wouldn't be where we are today. We are the greatest country in the world and we owe it to our ancestors who paved the way.

Yep, it's insane ANY gold coin makes it, but yet something that can be arguably better in almost every way does not get recognized. But it's true, it's definitely not worth caring that much about. I've had sites that have given up multiple Rev War buttons, and as many as 5 different units all at the same site. When you hunt a site like that you certainly get lost in your day-dreams and it's a great place to be.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, it's insane ANY gold coin makes it, but yet something that can be arguably better in almost every way does not get recognized. But it's true, it's definitely not worth caring that much about. I've had sites that have given up multiple Rev War buttons, and as many as 5 different units all at the same site. When you hunt a site like that you certainly get lost in your day-dreams and it's a great place to be.

Thats why I got a little angry with the site for the Celtic Coin. It was a no brainer, & I know by complaining the MODs refuse it, more. However, if we get this far, I couldn't care less if they refuse it becuase of my moans, as we know better. So live long & be happy that those that know, actually know!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Iron Patch said:

Have you not noticed that T-Net has changed. A guy digs up a silver ring and some clad and he get twenty replies. Dig up a old relic and you get nothing. I think the average poster now is new, uses a Ace 250 and complains about digging pull tabs.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you not noticed that T-Net has changed. A guy digs up a silver ring and some clad and he get twenty replies. Dig up a old relic and you get nothing. I think the average poster now is new, uses a Ace 250 and complains about digging pull tabs.

There's no question things have changed and there's absolutely no flow anymore. Before when it was busy and you could click the replies tab to see all new replies to your post, it was almost like a chat the posts would go on at such a rapid rate. Even the best posts and finds don't get that now... they still get lots of replies, but over a longer time, and like I said no flow. I think many people pick and choose where to post because it's too difficult to keep track of it all. (and clicking "my replies" to look back through 40 threads and guessing if there's something new, or email notifications, is not the same)

PS: When this button is not an automatic banner as soon as the post goes on, it does make sense that there's probably other forums the relic guys go to. Well not probably, there is several forums dedicated to relics and in the last few years before the change the T-net was taking a bite out of them with many good relic posts going on here. Now many appear to have gone, and then to get one like this and either just not get it, or be stubborn and sticking to their decision, is going to make (or I guess keep) the T-Net as a site that can't compete with the relic forums. OR.... I use to carry this site and now my lack of detecting is taking it down. :tongue3:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no question things have changed and there's absolutely no flow anymore. Before when it was busy and you could click the replies tab to see all new replies to your post, it was almost like a chat the posts would go on at such a rapid rate. Even the best posts and finds don't get that now... they still get lots of replies, but over a longer time, and like I said no flow. I think many people pick and choose where to post because it's too difficult to keep track of it all. (and clicking "my replies" to look back through 40 threads and guessing if there's something new, or email notifications, is not the same)

PS: When this button is not an automatic banner as soon as the post goes on, it does make sense that there's probably other forums the relic guys go to. Well not probably, there is several forums dedicated to relics and in the last few years before the change the T-net was taking a bite out of them with many good relic posts going on here. Now many appear to have gone, and then to get one like this and either just not get it, or be stubborn and sticking to their decision, is going to make (or I guess keep) the T-Net as a site that can't compete with the relic forums. OR.... I use to carry this site and now my lack of detecting is taking it down. :tongue3:

I won't say who but the European side feels the same they have asked me where to move to, to get the right appreciation. I asked them to stick with it & try & teach others the importance.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I say banner on account of the history behind it. Well done!! :occasion14:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't say who but the European side feels the same they have asked me where to move to, to get the right appreciation. I asked them to stick with it & try & teach others the importance.

Now that you mention it there seems to be less European posts, either that or they just seem more lost in the mix.

BTW... That Roman bull is pretty cool. I can't believe it survived in that type of condition and I bet almost any other example you would see would be leg-less to some degree.

Back to the button. I can't believe a button that would have made my year can be passed over like this. Devonrex, I bet you got some great replies on the relic forums you posted it at.... because I know you must have spread it around! :laughing7: (I would have)

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Moderators - I agree so much with Iron Patch on his statement that I am willing to give up my banner find of the 1870 S $5 gold coin. In turn, I would like to see you put in its place, this most outstanding find that Devonrex made with his button. Yes, there will always be an outstanding gold coin found by somebody, but when will you ever see a button just like this found? In my opinion, almost never! So what do you say, even if he takes over where I am on up top at least it will be there for a little while. I have no shame to give it up and would be very honored for him to be recognized for a very great piece of history right there with that button!!!!!!!

IM

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moderators - I agree so much with Iron Patch on his statement that I am willing to give up my banner find of the 1870 S $5 gold coin. In turn, I would like to see you put in its place, this most outstanding find that Devonrex made with his button. Yes, there will always be an outstanding gold coin found by somebody, but when will you ever see a button just like this found? In my opinion, almost never! So what do you say, even if he takes over where I am on up top at least it will be there for a little while. I have no shame to give it up and would be very honored for him to be recognized for a very great piece of history right there with that button!!!!!!!

IM

I think it should be added in addition. No need to take any of them down except for the one that was up the longest and due to be bumped off.

For the record I only used gold coin as my example because it was a true statement, plus it seems to be the dream find of almost everyone. Many Spanish silver make it, as well as gold rings, and that's why it doesn't seem to make sense this button doesn't. If you look back through the years at some of the banner finds you really start to question if there's any rhyme or reason to the selection. The vast majority are great, some truly incredible, but others must have been picked on a day the forum was feeling generous. One of my banner finds was a 1699 cob, a real nice coin, but certainly nowhere near this button. I'd give up a cob find a year for the next 20 years to find a 76th like that.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it should be added in addition. No need to take any of them down except for the one that was up the longest and due to be bumped off.

For the record I only used gold coin as my example because it was a true statement, plus it seems to be the dream find of almost everyone. Many Spanish silver make it, as well as gold rings, and that's why it doesn't seem to make sense this button doesn't. If you look back through the years at some of the banner finds you really start to question if there's any rhyme or reason to the selection. The vast majority are great, some truly incredible, but others must have been picked on a day the forum was feeling generous. One of my banner finds was a 1699 cob, a real nice coin, but certainly nowhere near this button. I'd give up a cob find a year for the next 20 years to find a 76th like that.

The problem we have is the more we 'moan' (protest) the less likely the MODs are to Banner it. I read it somewhere that if people start to question it, then it will not happen. Also, do we really want in up there now, because it just becomes bitter sweet win.

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Ironman for your kind gesture of giving up one of your banner spots (but it is not necessary) ...... and Iron Patch and Crusader for the nice things you said about my 76th. As I said before making the banner is not why I relic hunt and this not being placed on top is not going to stop me from posting or rescuing as much history as I can. It is the moderators choice as to what goes on top....... but the post is there for all to enjoy. I did get an E-mail from Western and Eastern Treasure magazine asking me if I would be interested in letting them publish my story on the discovery of the 76th. That in itself was recognition enough! I have decided to write the article so that others can enjoy my discovery and possibly ignite a passion to save relics as well!

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem we have is the more we 'moan' (protest) the less likely the MODs are to Banner it. I read it somewhere that if people start to question it, then it will not happen. Also, do we really want in up there now, because it just becomes bitter sweet win.

They can obviously do anything they want, but it's certainly not in their best to not correct a mistake. My main objective is to get people to realize how good this one is, because they're something I've been around for a lot of years now and know when I see a good one. You know what they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink the banner juice.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ironman for your kind gesture of giving up one of your banner spots (but it is not necessary) ...... and Iron Patch and Crusader for the nice things you said about my 76th. As I said before making the banner is not why I relic hunt and this not being placed on top is not going to stop me from posting or rescuing as much history as I can. It is the moderators choice as to what goes on top....... but the post is there for all to enjoy. I did get an E-mail from Western and Eastern Treasure magazine asking me if I would be interested in letting them publish my story on the discovery of the 76th. That in itself was recognition enough! I have decided to write the article so that others can enjoy my discovery and possibly ignite a passion to save relics as well!

Make sure you include how it was a banner find on the T-net.... wait, better scratch that one. :laughing7:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of Devonex's other phenominal finds made banner either.....and all of em were worthy!I voiced my opinion then,too.Something not fair going on here?

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Iron Patch said:
Make sure you include how it was a banner find on the T-net.... wait, better scratch that one. :laughing7:

Why do you suppose the mods don't reply here on this thread and just say no we think it sucks, so no banner. Maybe they are still thinking about. Seems like they would say something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread