STUNNING Restoration of U.S. Breastplate Dug on 8-29!!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View restoration at end of original post and thanks for looking!!!

A typical August day in Tennessee with 90+ deg. and high humidity. I had two choices early this am:
A. Mow my 3+ acre lawn while it was cool,
or
B. Go relic hunting
Naturally, I chose choice "B". I hit a site near a large U.S. camp about 45 minutes after good light. I hunted for nearly an hour and a half without finding even one bullet. Then, I got a "55" reading on my F75. I thought it was my first bullet or musket ball for the day. Instead, I pulled out a rolled up piece of lead. I immediately knew what it was. I carefully cleaned the interior and saw the eagle. This relic appears to have been deliberately curled in.

A recognized CW relic expert theorized that one of the iron loops broke or cracked and the soldier then wanted to see how strong he was and then discarded it. My friend Robert McDaniel in AL who is a relic repair master says he "can help the looks of it" so I may send it to him for straightening and rim repair. This is the third breastplate I have dug.
I looked for another hour or so with no other relics recovered. Ironically, I dug a 1995 nickel which is the year I started hunting for CW relics. Thanks for looking and HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• Breastplate Back 8-29-12.JPG
    Breastplate Back 8-29-12.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 315
  • U.S. Breastplate 829-12.JPG
    U.S. Breastplate 829-12.JPG
    453.9 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
Upvote 1

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Choise B is always A Great Option!!! Chug

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent recovery Quindy !!! You certainly made the right decision regarding how to spend your time today :headbang:

I have never dug a US Eagle Breastplate, I am surprised that it gave such a low number on the F 75.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so now you going to cut that hay?? It was a hot day today. Nice find on your 3rd breast plate. I have heard they were discarded as they made an inviting target as well. Congratulations Quindy.
HH
TnMtns

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice save! I hope to find my first soon. Well done!! :occasion14:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks MT4, G2d, Kevin, Donnie (Thanks for the tip my friend), M86, Deb. (Cntrydancer), JG, Fly, Ironman, SK, & Chug (where's Red?-LOL).
Breezie and Nana-thanks and I'll remind you both of wanting cold weather this Winter-LOL. I will post the restored plate for you later Sirtom. Hogge, my wife and I were vistibng the Corinth, MS battle area last month and Robert invited us to his home for an afternoon. He's a dying breed who takes great pride in his work. Thanks BB and good job on the W & E cover pic. I hope you, Diggergirl, and Shane get to hunt Monday. Hunker down there!!
Matt- You, Papa Bear, and Bird will all find a plate. You three hunt good areas and are apparently good hunters. Johhny Reb, if it was from a CS camp, I would leave it alone. Richard, great article on axe restoration in W & E. I believe you have written articles before-LOL.
Steve, I was surprised with the low reading. I guess since the rolled up nature and the fact that the lead was pointing up made the difference. I would expect a "72" or so. The "55" was a T2 like reading.
TnMtns, it was hot early and I had a fresh shirt to change into when I returned to the truck. They repotedly did discard them regularly. We will never know the reason for sure. Good luck hunting my friend.
Thanks to all who looked and HH, Quindy.

BB & Shane, send some of that Isaac rain up to Tennessee!!!

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a significant find man, way to go!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice and interesting plate ! :icon_thumleft:

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ashamed its grown up but awesome find:-)

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for taking time to look and reply OKR, OS, Hispan (plate is nothing like the ancient relics you dig), James, OKG, and GK1861. Good luck hunting to all of you you, Quindy.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
It has possibilities--contact McDaniels. Wish I was up there hunting around Smithville and D-town this time of year.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for looking HamDD, BC7, and SD. We have hunted a few hours in the places you mentioned SD and will return there this Fall. HH everyone and have a safe weekend, Quindy.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Quindy that is a great find:hello2:

It has been way to humid to hunt around here.

Blaze

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quindy that is a great find:hello2:

It has been way to humid to hunt around here.

Blaze
It's really too humid here too JB but I wanted to try out that new Piranha shovel. So far, I'd say it's been pretty lucky for me. Three trips with it and dug relics each trip.
You will have to hunt hard to top the late 2011 and early 2012 hunting season you enjoyed my friend. Good luck this Fall, Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions