Testing my Gold Finds - Help

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a gold acid test kit, but I am confused by the results. What constitutes a pass or fail. I took two rings, one I was uncertain about, the other I thought for sure was junk. So I did the 10k test on the uncertain one. The problem is, the scratch does not go completely away, but it fades a bit. All the video's I've seen, the gold does not change at all. Confusion.

On the ring I believe is junk, I did the 10k, 14k and 18k test, and no change whatsoever. More confusion.

If someone can help me out here, I'd be a happy camper.

MG

Upvote 0

okie jack

Apr 3, 2012
locust grove oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White dfx and xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok some metal does not go away with acid even if it is not gold. Heres what i do . First magnet if the mag does not stick them go to the acid test . Most of the time i can tell if it is gold just by the way the metal hits the stone like gold is really soft so it does not take alot of pressure to leave a mark other stuff you can put alot of pressure and still not have a good mark (not gold most of the time) . If the gold starts to float in the acid most of the time it is gold plate. Some gold is 9 k that maybe your problem . Try this put the acid directly on the ring you may want to put i little scratch on the ring to get past the plate if it does not turn green after about 30 seconds then it probably real go to the 14k acid and repeat .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread