Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to a guy today that dug up a 1917 license plate on his curb at 4 feet. I wouldn't have considered that a fair return for my labor.

Me, I dug up a 4" length of heavy iron pipe at a foot. It was the weight of a hand grenade.

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forget the amount of times I dig iron in the same hole as a keeper. The one that sticks in my head is when I dug what I knew was going to be a large horseshoe & right next to it Dad dug a gold coin. If we had left that signal = no gold coin.

Yep,I know of two gold coins that were nulled out by a shovel,and a 6 ounce nugget under a piece of tin

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep,I know of two gold coins that were nulled out by a shovel,and a 6 ounce nugget under a piece of tin

And that's why I do. It's not what you dig it's when you dig it.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that an old window weight from a house or a piece of pipe?

I never dig many iron signals, as most of the places I hunt are loaded with them. I always wonder what I am missing though. My friend has found some pretty cool relics by digging iron signals.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a time when treasure was buried in a iron chest. The Fisher F75 I have allows me to out line a target and get a good depth id. I also have modes that pick up deep objects larger than a quarter. Your still gonna dig stuff like that, but maybe you need a different detector.

tesorobandit

May 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero, bandidoII Umax, garrett 250, ETG ( eyes to the ground)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why dig a signal that big. I generally make a note of the object and wait for a down day or wetter ground.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I did all my signals...It may be overkill, but it has paid off many times. The first, second, or even third iron signal you dig will be nothing, but the digging will be worth it and then some with an iron signal.

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
dig the iron then haul it off for scrap thats what i do with all the "junk" iron i dig looking for the good stuff

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you all are nuts! If I tried digging every single single I'd move about a foot a day. Most of my sites are so iron heavy it's rediculous, but that's why I hunt them. You can pull some silver out of those spots if you know what you're doing, but digging ALL iron? I can't even wrap my brain around that.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bum Luck said:
Hey, that wasn't standing upright, was it?

Nope, laying down... I would have left it if it was upright.

Joe Dirt

Sep 22, 2012
Silvertown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Sun Ray DX-1 Probe, Vintage late 70's Radio Shack junker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I pulled out of the ground when I dug my last big iron signal... was hard getting it into the car! But I did find a Wheatie under it so it wasn't a total waste!
JOE_DIRT - 00hr 33min 17sec (1).jpg JOE_DIRT - 00hr 33min 17sec.jpg JOE_DIRT - 00hr 33min 21sec.jpg JOE_DIRT - 00hr 35min 25sec.jpg

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And one day your detector will come across 15 inches down a iron complete 1842 Springfield rifle barrel ? you never will know . Jim

Last edited:

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather dig iron than foil any day. There are plenty of decent iron digs. And if it isn't decent, scrap it.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will miss out on so much stuff if you dont dig iron , check out what i found on my lateist post and I will mention everything came up as iron . So here is some advice , if you dont dig iron signals you will be missing out on , C.W relics such as bullets, bayonets , swords , shells etc....

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will miss out on so much stuff if you dont dig iron , check out what i found on my lateist post and I will mention everything came up as iron . So here is some advice , if you dont dig iron signals you will be missing out on , C.W relics such as bullets, bayonets , swords , shells etc....

This is probably MORE important to this conversation, it's WHERE you are digging. Hunting a CW campsite is a world away from hunting a house site or a park.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, was an old underused baseball field at a recently renovated park that used to be a privately-owned campground/summer resort about a hundred years ago. Found it under the shortstop, horizontally.

Edit: I should probably mention that I don't completely ignore ALL iron signals. If I'm hunting a location of any historical value expecting to find relics, I most definitely dig iron signals. If I'm hunting a playground or a "modern" area I will likely use the discriminate mode to tune them out. I only dug this pipe out because it was only about 3 inches down and I hadn't found anything else that day.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread