Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cool Lock & Button

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Relic Hunter & Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Garrett AT Pro, XP DEUS, Teknetics T2SE, Fisher 1266X, Garrett Propointer
    362 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Cool Lock & Button

Went back out to one of my favorite farms here in the Valley on Friday for a very short hunt. This farm has yielded some silver coins, IH, a Confederate Block A Button, 4 axe heads and other misc. items. I've hunted primarily with my MXT Pro and, recently, my T2SE, but hadn't used my AT Pro there at all - I've really only used it in the water for the last year, but I really liked using the machine on land on Friday. Anyway, found this cool RFD MAIL lock and what I believe is a very old button - maybe early 1800's? It's a little smaller than a penny and has some really nice gilt on it.

Here's some history on the lock quoted from a couple of websites:

"RFD" - "MAIL". 2 1/8" high x 1 5/8" wide. Brass case. Brass shackle. Warded. Mfg by: S. R. Slaymaker.

Since it began as an experiment in 1896, Rural Free Delivery (RFD) Service enabled an increasing number of rural Americans to send and receive mail from their residences. To receive the service, a family’s mailbox had to be easily accessible, and on the road traveled by their carrier. Families whose homes were far away from their mailbox insured the security of their mail by attaching locks to the mailbox. Local postmasters allowed this practice, as long as carriers were provided with a key.
    Manufacturers addressed this need by producing and selling specially labeled “RFD” mail locks. The official-looking locks were neither produced nor provided by the Post Office Department.

The house on this farm is about 100 yards from the main road, so this would make sense. Found it in the back yard. Thanks for taking a look. I might work on that lock a bit and see if I can't "spruce it up."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rfd_lock (2) (800x600).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	358.1 KB 
ID:	679483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rfd_lock (1) (800x600).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	359.7 KB 
ID:	679484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gilt_button (800x600).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	294.8 KB 
ID:	679485   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gilt_button_back (800x600).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	306.3 KB 
ID:	679486  
    Last edited by Old Stonewall; Sep 23, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
    got2dig and mo dirt diggin like this.
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

Proud great-great grandson of three Confederate soldiers: John Meredith Crutchfield who served with the 60th Virginia, Maurice Coffey, & John McGann who both served with the 51st Virginia. Grandpa Crutchfield and Grandpa Coffey were both wounded and both served time in Yankee prisons.

us
    Feb 2012
    Mid-Tenn
    XLT
    420 times
    Relic Hunting
    Nice love the lock. The old locks sound off.

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    362 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Yes, it rang out loud and clear - even at 8".
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

Proud great-great grandson of three Confederate soldiers: John Meredith Crutchfield who served with the 60th Virginia, Maurice Coffey, & John McGann who both served with the 51st Virginia. Grandpa Crutchfield and Grandpa Coffey were both wounded and both served time in Yankee prisons.

Charter Member

Jan 2007
    Northern Middle Tennessee
    Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
    1343 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    You said you had made some cool finds yeaterday Richard and you were correct. Is that lock from "Mayberry RFD"?-LOL. Some Confederate soldier probably wore that button from home. WTG, Quindy.
    View more Tenn. Trio hunts by going to "You Tube" & typing in "Quindy Robertson".

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    362 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by VOL1266-X View Post
    You said you had made some cool finds yeaterday Richard and you were correct. Is that lock from "Mayberry RFD"?-LOL. Some Confederate soldier probably wore that button from home. WTG, Quindy.
    Hey Quindy - yeah, I thought about that show too. Love the old buttons. BTW, I found this button about 10 feet from where I dug the Block A.
    Last edited by Old Stonewall; Sep 23, 2012 at 07:18 PM.

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Larson mo jo pro Flippin stick
    3410 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Nice hunt! Love that button. I dug a lock just like that. You are in a good spot. Thanks for sharing.Name:  100_1376.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  21.8 KB

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    362 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnmountains View Post
    Nice hunt! Love that button. I dug a lock just like that. You are in a good spot. Thanks for sharing.Name:  100_1376.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  21.8 KB
    Yep, identical. Thanks!

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

umrgolf
    Nice finds, you're right about the button, early-mid 1800's. I think I might have an identical match that also had a tin back. I'll look and see and post a pic. I found it on an early 1800's site in VA.

umrgolf
    Found it... not identical but fairly similar, probably same maker

Anyhow, again great finds
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1107.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	679654   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1110.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	679655  

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    362 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by umrgolf View Post
    Found it... not identical but fairly similar, probably same maker

Anyhow, again great finds
    Yes, it is similar - nice one. The gilt on mine really doesn't show up well in the photo here but it is quite spectacular - some of the best I've ever seen on an old button coming out of the ground after a couple hundred years. The finds kinda trickel out of this particular site, but it keeps on givin'!

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

us
    Do not forget me 24601

Oct 2011
    Indiana
    Tesoro Sidewinder, White's Coinmaster, White's Surfmaster II
    293 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have never found a lock in that nice of a condition...the MD gods were shining upon you....

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    362 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mzjavert View Post
    I have never found a lock in that nice of a condition...the MD gods were shining upon you....
    Thanks MZ - all brass.

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

us
    Jun 2012
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    GPX 5000, AT Pro, Silver U-Maxx, Pro Pointer
    116 times
    Really cool lock!

us

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    362 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by VaMark View Post
    Really cool lock!
    Hey Mark - thanks. We gotta get together soon for a hunt. BTW, JUST finished cleaning the lock and polishing it. Looks almost new! I'll post some new pics soon.

Visit
    Old Virginia Blog

us
    May 2012
    AZ
    148 times
    cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors