CaneField Bandits Dig Spanish #13 for the Year!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Shanegalang and I got out for a hunt, and we started out by investing a little time trying to find a site I have been after for a year now. We did some big grids on some new property trying to narrow down the search area from a mile square to something more manageable. As many of you know, it is very flat down here, and no geography to rule out a patch of ground. Every acre of ground looks like every single other acre.

Well, we were unsuccessful at that, but it's just a matter of time 'till we find what we're looking for.

Then we went to a new spot and located a small antebellum site. Finds were thin, but Shane soon yelled that he had a shield nickel (1868), so things were looking up. I dug some trache, then some crappe with my new Fisher F75. Finally got a candlestick thumb-ring, piece of a heel plate, and a keyhole cover from an old smokehouse lock that was stamped with "U.S." I have not seen this before (most have either VR, GR, or "PATENT" on them). If anyone has more information about this, please share. Well, I was rolling the camera from time to time, hoping for something good. I got several nice dime signals that didn't pan out. Here's one example:

At any rate, I got down a row, wondering if I'd manage to dig something nice at all, and got a nice little high brass signal. Unfortunately I don't film the brass signals, because they are usually nothing to great. But when I popped open a plug, I saw a silver disc in the dirt! At this point I started the camera rolling!

After that discovery, I was stoked!

Here is a photo of the half real in my hand. I knew it'd likely be dateless, but any day a 1700s spanish silver comes up is a great day!

Picture 010.jpg

Well, we dug and dug and Dug, and not much else noteworthy came to light so we called it a day. Now, I know that the harvest is over already in the north, but we are still waiting for the sugar cane to be cut on some of our best sites.

When I cleaned up the finds, tossed out the crap aluminum and junk, and disposed of 100lbs of scrap iron, this is what I was left with:

Picture 007.jpg

Here is a close-up of the worn-down half real:

Picture 011-001.jpg

Picture 013-001.jpg

I'm still thrilled to dig another spanish. This year will be practically impossible to top in terms of quantity, but it has been one hell of a fun ride.

When I got home, we had a celebration, complete with a stuffed chicken, a persimmon pie, and "adult beverages." :wink: :laughing9:

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Best Wishes,

The CaneField Bandits

Cane Field Bandits cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 4
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on ur silver BB!! Them r sum givin sites u hav. How r u likin the F75 so far? It seems to b workin for u quite well.. Good luck on ur scoutin and once again CONGRATS.. HH

I like the F75. Not ready to be entirely confident with it yet, and can already tell that it has some advantages and disadvantages, but it's another detector on sites we have hit hard, and it is finding things that we missed after 3 careful grids of all the rows. On the other hand, it is a noisy SOB! :D

Regards,

Buck

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds as always! The Spanish Silver is Awesome! Way to go!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats on your half real! And thanks for the videos. Regarding that small area you're searching for in a large field, possibly if you take a couple dogs with you next time, they might find it for you if there's any old leather, etc. underground because their noses lead them to diggings that we miss. Whenever I see a dog digging on the beaches I detect, I wonder, "okay, what's under there?" But I guess if it's "only" more Spanish silver in that yet-unfound area, dogs wouldn't find it either, lol. (Forgive me for rambling post -- I'm not supposed to be drinking this giant mug of coffee here, makes me nuttier than usual). Love your videos & your descriptions of your hunts, thanks again. HH Andi

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WooHoo! Congrats on #13 Spanish for the year!! That makes the hundreds lbs. of trash you have to weed through all worth it!!! Way to be a silver sleuth pulling it out of all you have to work through!!!!!

IM

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WooHoo! Congrats on #13 Spanish for the year!! That makes the hundreds lbs. of trash you have to weed through all worth it!!! Way to be a silver sleuth pulling it out of all you have to work through!!!!!

IM

Thanks again, IM. It's some work, but totally worth it.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread