Hood Ornament????

happenin33

Dec 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going through an old house that is going to be torn down and came across what I think is a old radiator hood ornament. I have searched all over but can't find what year or model of car it belongs to. Does anyone have any ideas? hood ornament.jpg

Upvote 1

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hair style puts it in the Art Deco period (20's-40s) - I'm trying to research it and see if it is indeed a hood ornament. Does the base have threads where it would be screwed down?

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blindbug,
Welcome to (participating in) Treasure Net !!
Great ID !!
Don....

Thanks! Not trying to hijack, but I've been meaning to post my first detecting finds on here... I've probably had less than 5 hours of detecting (Ace 250), mostly around mine and my parents house. Anyway, back to this wonderful find. I LOVE old cars, and LOVE hood ornaments! From the color/patina, I would say that this ornament is original, those ones that I posted above appear to have been heavily weathered and the last has been recently chromed.

S

stefen

Looks like you made the ID...

There are a number of similar winged goddesses as radiator ornaments....the 1935 Auburn is a prime example.

Ocassionally you see the ornaments interchanged from one classic to another...simple radiator threads were universal...

OP
OP
H

happenin33

Dec 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW.. that was so fast.. I have been looking for a few days and couldn't find anything. Now on to the next thing.. Is it worth anything???:laughing7:

OP
OP
H

happenin33

Dec 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Not trying to hijack, but I've been meaning to post my first detecting finds on here... I've probably had less than 5 hours of detecting (Ace 250), mostly around mine and my parents house. Anyway, back to this wonderful find. I LOVE old cars, and LOVE hood ornaments! From the color/patina, I would say that this ornament is original, those ones that I posted above appear to have been heavily weathered and the last has been recently chromed.
You wouldn't happen to know if this is worth anything, or something that maybe I should keep a hold of for awhile longer?

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pieces like that with no porosity (corrosion in the metal like pin holes) or any rust, no gouges, deep scratches, etc. can be worth upwards of $600 to $1000 depending on rarity!

I'd do some research on it if I were you especially if it doesn't have any of the above issues mentioned because it looks like a very nice piece.

Great find no matter - even if it's a not a perfect piece - it's still rare and worth some kind of value as long as it's all there/etc.

HH and let me know what you find out about it.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to da "Net", And a good Id...................................HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread