Upstate,NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Teknetics 2 SE
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All,
Just wanted to post a quick one on a find I have been hoping to get for a long time.Have permission to hunt a field that has been giving up musket balls and some other colonial relics.Had the day off and decided to take the T2 out for a hunt.Popped some musket balls ,then I had a nice solid 84 on my detector.Dug down about 6"and found the target in the plug.At first I thought it was a small button until I turned the item over and saw the writing.I could not believe it it was a spanish half reale!I could make out the date as 1788.I am going to be spending some quality time at this spot in the spring!HH 1788 Reale.jpg :headbang:

Upvote 3

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS on your 1st ss TOM!! Compare your machines to see which one finds more at that site.. HH

OP
OP
C

CTX Tom

Jul 5, 2012
Upstate,NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Teknetics 2 SE
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually I have been.I find that the T2 has a edge,at least for me for field hunting.The CTX is my go to for yards of old houses.But I really like the T2 for grass fields and cornfields with the boost mode.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the Spanish silver!!

MNcoinhunter

Nov 19, 2012
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-5, 6" Excelerator EQ2, SEF 10X12.
Garrett AT Pro, 8X11 DD & 5X8 DD,
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is definately more there ... congrats !!!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Such a great find! I just posted about Spanish reale a few posts down and notice you are in New York. I'm reading a booked about when the Dutch and Algonquin people first inhabited the state and the currency at the time has my interest piqued.

OP
OP
C

CTX Tom

Jul 5, 2012
Upstate,NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Teknetics 2 SE
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The area in which I live was colonized around 1712.Theres a ton of colonial history here.Being a detectorist Im very lucky to be where I am.I have found British coinage from the mid 1700's as well as early 1800's coins and lots of relics too.That Spanish coin was on my wish list since I began detecting.

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Tom but you must not be reading the date right, a 1788 would be a portrait type. Looks like a Phillip probably 1730's era, maybe a 1738? Congrats

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Spanish silver. I'm sure there is more to be found.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CTX Tom said:
The area in which I live was colonized around 1712.Theres a ton of colonial history here.Being a detectorist Im very lucky to be where I am.I have found British coinage from the mid 1700's as well as early 1800's coins and lots of relics too.That Spanish coin was on my wish list since I began detecting.

What a great treat to live in such an area so rich in history.:)

OP
OP
C

CTX Tom

Jul 5, 2012
Upstate,NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Teknetics 2 SE
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find Tom but you must not be reading the date right, a 1788 would be a portrait type. Looks like a Phillip probably 1730's era, maybe a 1738? Congrats
You are probably right, tuff to make out the 3rd digit on the date,thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions