PRETTY SILVER - Need help to identify

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually found this several weeks ago - just getting around to posting - was swinging the CTX in an area where I was finding C/W stuff - found a nice sharps bullet and then just 2 feet away I got that sweet addictive high pitch sound of silver ringing in my ears - dug up this beauty about 7" deep - same as the bullet I just dug - it is old silver hand engraved and was worn on a necklace of some sort - looked really hard for the chain and it was nowhere to be found. Don't know what it is - someone told me it may be an urn of some sort. I meant to place a quarter beside it in the pic to show size but forgot. It is the same o.d. of an pencil or pen and it is 1-1/8" in length. It looks like the top portion is a plug and will come out but I have'nt tried to remove it because of the fear of damaging it. Any help from my treasurenet friends will greatly appreciated on this one.
urn1.JPG urn2.JPG

Upvote 3

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You may not want to open it... I've heard of people taking past relatives' ashes and putting them into jewelry urns like this. Just a thought...

OP
OP
materdigger1

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was thinking - It may have been the ashes of a family member that a C/W soldier carried into war with him - that makes this thing sacred and one of the most significant finds for me so far - after I found out it may be an urn it's meaning became all different to me - I don't think I'll ever attemp to open it.

Redtaill944

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x, yeah its old but it works great and it goes deep.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could very well be an urn, but looks more like a stuff bullet to me. I've seen similar items in a museum in SC and they where called "Snuff Bullets"

OP
OP
materdigger1

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could very well be an urn, but looks more like a stuff bullet to me. I've seen similar items in a museum in SC and they where called "Snuff Bullets"

Very interesting Redtaill - I'll have to look into that - Thanks

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it might be a Silver Vinaigrette, which is a type of a perfume holder.

SS

Attachments

• il_570xN_307988332.jpg
    il_570xN_307988332.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 254

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about all three things when CLF sent me the picture. I've seen perfume containers like this as well as tiny urns. It is really unique in design. There are some really knowledgeable folks on T-net and I bet they will come up with something for you. I don't know about you, but I'm ready for this weather we are having to break! I need to get out and dig something!

OP
OP
materdigger1

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about all three things when CLF sent me the picture. I've seen perfume containers like this as well as tiny urns. It is really unique in design. There are some really knowledgeable folks on T-net and I bet they will come up with something for you. I don't know about you, but I'm ready for this weather we are having to break! I need to get out and dig something!

Thanks zaxfire - you are actually the one who put me on to the idea of it possibly being an urn - I went Saturday - was very muddy - got me and all my gear very muddy - still loved it

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually, you know what wouldn't surprise me? If it's a silver ash urn molded after a rifle shell to carry ashes of a CW soldier's KIA family member. Think about it; whoever made it (or had it made) could have had a perfume vinaigrette in mind when they designed it, or simply silver-plated an existing rifle shell. Back during that War, you had brother against brother, father against son, etc. so it's not a far shot to think that some really creative person designed a unique urn to house the ashes of a beloved - albeit possibly misguided, though that would have been a matter of opinion - family member who was killed in combat. And even if it wasn't actually carried into war, it could have been made after the War by the dead soldier's descendants for the same purpose. Just a thought from someone who's the family genealogist...

EDIT: If I was you, I'd take it to a museum professional who could possibly get it open and test the contents. If it IS an urn, could you imagine returning it to surviving family members, or descendants? Even if no one from that family is alive, to prove that it contains ashes and re-seal it would be a moving moment - for me (a veteran myself), it would be on the level of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier...:award_star_silver_1

Last edited:
OP
OP
materdigger1

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, you know what wouldn't surprise me? If it's a silver ash urn molded after a rifle shell to carry ashes of a CW soldier's KIA family member. Think about it; whoever made it (or had it made) could have had a perfume vinaigrette in mind when they designed it, or simply silver-plated an existing rifle shell. Back during that War, you had brother against brother, father against son, etc. so it's not a far shot to think that some really creative person designed a unique urn to house the ashes of a beloved - albeit possibly misguided, though that would have been a matter of opinion - family member who was killed in combat. And even if it wasn't actually carried into war, it could have been made after the War by the dead soldier's descendants for the same purpose. Just a thought from someone who's the family genealogist...

EDIT: If I was you, I'd take it to a museum professional who could possibly get it open and test the contents. If it IS an urn, could you imagine returning it to surviving family members, or descendants? Even if no one from that family is alive, to prove that it contains ashes and re-seal it would be a moving moment - for me (a veteran myself), it would be on the level of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier...:award_star_silver_1

It would be off the awsome chart to be able to find out (if it indeed is an urn) whose it was and to return it to the family descendants - what an honor that would be. Thanks cti4sw

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's acool looking vial i must say, Imma thinking it's a perfume bottle
I did alittle research and Cremation did not really get started in America
until the early 1870's. A cool find though.....................HH

OP
OP
materdigger1

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's acool looking vial i must say, Imma thinking it's a perfume bottle
I did alittle research and Cremation did not really get started in America
until the early 1870's. A cool find though.....................HH

Thanks Gunrunner for the info on cremation - very interesting

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking snuff bottle, but perfume bottle seems very likely also. Even more likely. I'm switching my answer to perfume

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not carefully opening it with a cloth and pliers to see once and for all? If there is ashes, hair whatever then plug it back up. That's what I would do just so it wouldn't drive me crazy wondering.

OP
OP
materdigger1

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not carefully opening it with a cloth and pliers to see once and for all? If there is ashes, hair whatever then plug it back up. That's what I would do just so it wouldn't drive me crazy wondering.
Yea baspinall - I am very courious as to what's inside. I might nudge on it a little but very cautious not to damage - the hand engraving is awsome on this thing. I'm still not completetely convinced that it's not an urn though - got plenty of time - if and when (after further research and input from the treasurenet folks like yourself) I am convinced that it's not an urn I will try to open it. Thanks so much for your comment.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool piece of silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread