PRETTY SILVER - Need help to identify

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually found this several weeks ago - just getting around to posting - was swinging the CTX in an area where I was finding C/W stuff - found a nice sharps bullet and then just 2 feet away I got that sweet addictive high pitch sound of silver ringing in my ears - dug up this beauty about 7" deep - same as the bullet I just dug - it is old silver hand engraved and was worn on a necklace of some sort - looked really hard for the chain and it was nowhere to be found. Don't know what it is - someone told me it may be an urn of some sort. I meant to place a quarter beside it in the pic to show size but forgot. It is the same o.d. of an pencil or pen and it is 1-1/8" in length. It looks like the top portion is a plug and will come out but I have'nt tried to remove it because of the fear of damaging it. Any help from my treasurenet friends will greatly appreciated on this one.
urn1.JPG urn2.JPG

Upvote 3

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool looking what ever it is.I don't think it's a snuff holder,cause if there like me that thing wouldn't hold enough snuff for one good dip.then you'd be carrying around a empty container wanting more.It does sorta look like one of those perfume holder things.It'll get figured out.The people on here are great on helping you figure what in the world you dug up.Congrats

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find! Im so curious as to what's inside.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to be small in size,it might be a container for nitro tablets/pills?

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whatever it is MD, I like it. I dug a brass small brass container in a CW site resembling a soldier's "housewife" or sewing kit that had a top on it. I felt as if I would damage it getting the top off. A local relic dealer said an X-ray would give an indication if there was any metal inside. HH, Quindy.

RedCardHack

Oct 2, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have to think it's a tad effeminate for a male, per se, but might have been a perfume container given to a soldier by a gal hoping the fragrance would keep her close in heart and mind. I've dug many an old perfume holder and damn if the scent doesn't sometimes linger ever so slightly -- even after being buried for a hundred years or more. Pour a couple drips of very hot water inside, hold finger tip over the end, shake a few times and give it a sniff. It would be sorta eerie to smell a fragrance from a woman who would be over 150 years old -- so to speak.

OP
OP
materdigger1

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to think it's a tad effeminate for a male, per se, but might have been a perfume container given to a soldier by a gal hoping the fragrance would keep her close in heart and mind. I've dug many an old perfume holder and damn if the scent doesn't sometimes linger ever so slightly -- even after being buried for a hundred years or more. Pour a couple drips of very hot water inside, hold finger tip over the end, shake a few times and give it a sniff. It would be sorta eerie to smell a fragrance from a woman who would be over 150 years old -- so to speak.

Hey Tiger I might give that a try

OP
OP
materdigger1

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool looking what ever it is.I don't think it's a snuff holder,cause if there like me that thing
wouldn't hold enough snuff for one good dip.then you'd be carrying around a empty container wanting more.It does sorta look like one of those perfume holder things.It'll get figured out.The people on here are great on helping you figure what in the world you dug up.Congrats

Hey John Boy - you are so right about the people here on treasurenet - I am amazed by the knowledge some of our fellow treasurenetters - If you dig it these guys can figure it out - thanks and happy hunting

OP
OP
materdigger1

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread