Buckle or Brooch? Need Help

jihunter

Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this on the Charleston, SC pennisula this week. It was in bad shape when I pulled it out. Was roughly 3ft down and also found tons of old pottery, china, black glass bottles, and 2 1798 1 cent coins. I have been working on cleaning it up the past few days and can now make out the emblems on it. The detail is amazing. It is copper from what I can tell, it has a chalice in the middle with two horses heads on each side of the glass facing oppasitte each other. THere is also a conifer tree above the middle of the chalice. The edges of the object have a very detailed pattern engraved.

It seems thin to be a buckle, and has a rivet hole on each side. I feel like with it having a chalivce and the conifer tree on it it may have some religous meaning. I donthave to go into how old it could or could not be being that I found it in Chas, SC. Pre-Colonial?Colonial, Revolutionary, Pre Civil War? Help Please!
ATTACH=CONFIG]731067[/ATTACH] brooch2.jpg

Attachments

• brooch1.jpg
    brooch1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 133
  • brooch2.jpg
    brooch2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 129
  • brooch1.jpg
    brooch1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 1

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could have been the front plate to a buckle, and looks a bit big for a brooch. Just my take on it. cool find.

Gemini Alpha

Nov 19, 2012
Europe
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jihunter, it looks like it was the Front Plate of something. Time period, maybe sometime around the 1800s. Could really be the Front Plate of an Urn like Casper suggested. bye GA

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this on the Charleston, SC pennisula this week. It was in bad shape when I pulled it out. Was roughly 3ft down and also found tons of old pottery, china, black glass bottles, and 2 1798 1 cent coins. I have been working on cleaning it up the past few days and can now make out the emblems on it. The detail is amazing. It is copper from what I can tell, it has a chalice in the middle with two horses heads on each side of the glass facing oppasitte each other. THere is also a conifer tree above the middle of the chalice. The edges of the object have a very detailed pattern engraved.

It seems thin to be a buckle, and has a rivet hole on each side. I feel like with it having a chalivce and the conifer tree on it it may have some religous meaning. I donthave to go into how old it could or could not be being that I found it in Chas, SC. Pre-Colonial?Colonial, Revolutionary, Pre Civil War? Help Please!
ATTACH=CONFIG]731067[/ATTACH] View attachment 731068

I think it is a drawer pull backing plate off of a Queen Annes style piece of furniture. The pull itself was mounted on a stud that went through the square hole. Here are a few pics for you to ponder:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-01-26 at 6.06.08 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-01-26 at 6.06.08 AM.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen shot 2013-01-26 at 6.06.29 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-01-26 at 6.06.29 AM.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
J

jihunter

Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look similar, but there is no hole in the top of it, the two holes are on each side? What may look like a hole in the top of it is actually a tear in teh metal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions