SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well after reading BillD and Dans post for weeks now I needed some of my own colonial fill up here in NJ. It was time to give those VA boys a run for their money! Arty and I met up around 10am today to scout some new areas we thought would hold some buttonage(mom was sick and couldnt join) Started out in a field with a lane of trees running hunreds of yards towards the river. Found a flat button and a random flying eagle penny. Eye balled some nice looking field on the other side of a drainage ditch and scoured the area for signals. First signal was a cast button..One you dont see posted alot on Tnet. Well this area was our small bonanza for the day. Lots of cast buttons and more than 5 NIPPLE buttons. My first of this kind and probably my oldest. Found a worn KGII also in the same area. We pounded this spot for hours and decided to try the adjacent field for more buttons. More buttons followed on the long walk back to the trucks for lunch. After lunch we had eye balled a huge rise in the field to our right. Tons of brick and pottery littered the peak. Arty pulled 2 large 2 piece buttons from the area and the mucky mud was a little too much for us at the time and decided to go back to our glory field. When we returned the signals were less but I found the silver we thought would be there with all the old colonil finds. It looks to be the size of a half reale. Its very worn except one part that shows of lines. Found a few more buttons and decided to follow the sunlight out to the trucks. We stopped by the raised hill area of the other field just as it was getting dark. Well the ground had frozen up and no more gooey walking. Little did we know we would finding a ton of buttons and relics in the dark. The T2 doesnt have a back light but every solid signal was either a button or piece of history, no trash. We decided after about an hour of night detecting we would save the field for a daylight hunt. The only night I had came from my Pro pointer :laughing7: It was an awesome day of digging and there will be much more to find in the future for these fields. I will let Arty post his great finds. Is it me or does one of the cast buttons Appear to have a "1" in the center? This would be significant if true.
P2030072_zps08d13362.jpg

P2030073_zpsd8f8d790.jpg

P2030075_zps1e2ecd6c.jpg

P2030076_zps7ad8065d.jpg

P2030078_zps3cab4d6a.jpg

P2030077_zps5b4ccb9e.jpg

P2030071_zps283af20d.jpg

Upvote 9

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, really great finds!

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful assortment of colonial goodness. Further confirms the rich history of this great state. Will look forward to reading about your return trips!

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After looking at the coin I found more closely I am almost 100% certain its not a KGII but rather a William III! It would make sense and further help date the site. I can't quite get a date but I could swear I see a "0" So Ill go with 1700. Quite a pleasent suprise.
P2030075_zps1e2ecd6c.jpg

P2060079_zps5e5a373d.jpg

P2060080_zps6a1c2b9f.jpg

Example
KGrHqRHJFUFEMBdpdViBRDptprlwQ60_121_zps1c1a2a66.jpg

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any design on the cufflink? Hammer that site mister good things to come!!HH
BK

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, the back of the head, neck and pony tail look to be a perfect match. Williams in the house...

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A very impressive group of early finds. I seethe with envy for such a site, you're very fortunate. I have filled a room with my finds-many I never believed I'd EVER find (especially given my first year MD'ing) , but the majority of it old iron - love all of it, but to date have found only a few colonial buttons and a dozen or so buckles.
In this upcoming MD season I believe I will find the sites that will produce more colonial finds.
I always look forward to your posts. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread