This Gold Medallion is the First Target I hit.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Video

A Gold Medallion was the First Target I hit.

This find was made Friday evening just before dark. I was revisiting a park I'd been avoiding for the past year. I'd recovered 2 gold rings from the field there last January, and maybe a dozen silver pieces from all over the park. Giving the field a chance to refresh paid off. My very first diggable target turned out to be this gold medallion...how's that for serendipity?

It is actually two stamped pieces of sheet gold soldered together. There is a discernible seam around the edge of the medal. The empty space inside the medallion that we can see where the bail presumably broke off, is the hollow space inside the medallion. This also suggests that it is probably a high karat gold as it weighs half a pennyweight, which seems like a lot for a little piece of foil.

This is the hole where the bail must have broken off, showing the empty space inside.
You can also make out the seam running along the edge of the medallion.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find!

Fix

Oct 17, 2012
Southern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro with a 15 inch DD WOT coil.
Deeptech Vista Gold.
AT Max.
Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL You crack me up. Very cool find though. Nice!

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you have it tested? Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread