Glorious Colonial Digs, Nipple Buttons, Spanish and Coppers
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Glorious Colonial Digs, Nipple Buttons, Spanish and Coppers

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2009
    Nova Cęsarea
    T2 LTD 13" Detech
    545 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

Glorious Colonial Digs, Nipple Buttons, Spanish and Coppers

Well after reading BillD and Dans post for weeks now I needed some of my own colonial fill up here in NJ. It was time to give those VA boys a run for their money! Arty and I met up around 10am today to scout some new areas we thought would hold some buttonage(mom was sick and couldnt join) Started out in a field with a lane of trees running hunreds of yards towards the river. Found a flat button and a random flying eagle penny. Eye balled some nice looking field on the other side of a drainage ditch and scoured the area for signals. First signal was a cast button..One you dont see posted alot on Tnet. Well this area was our small bonanza for the day. Lots of cast buttons and more than 5 NIPPLE buttons. My first of this kind and probably my oldest. Found a worn KGII also in the same area. We pounded this spot for hours and decided to try the adjacent field for more buttons. More buttons followed on the long walk back to the trucks for lunch. After lunch we had eye balled a huge rise in the field to our right. Tons of brick and pottery littered the peak. Arty pulled 2 large 2 piece buttons from the area and the mucky mud was a little too much for us at the time and decided to go back to our glory field. When we returned the signals were less but I found the silver we thought would be there with all the old colonil finds. It looks to be the size of a half reale. Its very worn except one part that shows of lines. Found a few more buttons and decided to follow the sunlight out to the trucks. We stopped by the raised hill area of the other field just as it was getting dark. Well the ground had frozen up and no more gooey walking. Little did we know we would finding a ton of buttons and relics in the dark. The T2 doesnt have a back light but every solid signal was either a button or piece of history, no trash. We decided after about an hour of night detecting we would save the field for a daylight hunt. The only night I had came from my Pro pointer It was an awesome day of digging and there will be much more to find in the future for these fields. I will let Arty post his great finds. Is it me or does one of the cast buttons Appear to have a "1" in the center? This would be significant if true.

us
    Sep 2010
    Western Massachusetts
    White's MXT
    297 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    WOW Those are a lot of colonial digs! That spoon handle, with the three rounded parts on the top, I've dug two of those, and I've heard that they are very old. Anybody have any information on them?

us
    Jan 2013
    Kalamazoo co. MI
    1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers a family adventure!!
    650 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great finds! sounds liks a good spot.

Jan 2013
    18 times
    Very nice! I bet it felt great to get out

Man I like it!!! Very nice and early finds!! Love those early buttons. Join in anytime, love seeing early finds

Dan
    Last edited by HomeGuardDan; Feb 03, 2013 at 09:26 PM.

Feb 2012
    North Pole
    Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
    2419 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Nice digs
    Scholar
    Finds2019
    Coins usables=0
    Silver= 0 pieces
    Gold= Nothing

us
    May 2012
    Florida
    Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
    180 times
    Water Hunting; Beachcombing; Relic Hunting; Shipwrecks
    Nice finds. A purposely scratched coin is a indicator that the coin was once in the possession of a Native American as some often defaced the coins intentionally--some form of supersticion, I guess--especially, when you see a deep gash across the throat ofa face coin.

Super hunt Jim! Glad to see the nipple/pimple buttons being found, you are so correct, not many found at all, but sure is a great indicator that site is one of the first settled areas. Now the only trouble with a site that old, no NJ's!

Don
    Last edited by Don in SJ; Feb 04, 2013 at 07:38 AM.
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

Quote Originally Posted by RelicHunter97 View Post
    WOW Those are a lot of colonial digs! That spoon handle, with the three rounded parts on the top, I've dug two of those, and I've heard that they are very old. Anybody have any information on them?
    The spoon handle part I think it is called by a couple different names, but Split End type I think is one of them, they match the nipple buttons for dating the site, mid to late 1600s I believe.
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

us
    Feb 2005
    Three Rivers
    Minelab Etrac Xp Deus Ctx 3030 Whites Dfx
    1396 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Those are some nice early finds Jim. Bet there is more out there.

HH Jer

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    14922 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Great spot - Awesome finds
    Name:  th_ILoveItSmileyThumbsUp.gif
Views: 742
Size:  17.3 KB
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Jan 2009
    Nova Cęsarea
    T2 LTD 13" Detech
    545 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Thanks guys. Thanks for the approx date on the site. Couldnt believe the age of buttons we were finding. Cant wait to get back. Very interesting about the coin scratching. Im afraid i may have added a scratch myself. I was talking to Arty as we were walking the fields about the boys down in Virginia tearing up the super old sites saying man I wish I could find that OLD old stuff up here. Wish granted. Now we just need some lizzies and cut spanish

us
    May 2010
    South Jersey
    Whites DFX, MX7
    945 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Great day of hunting. Nice digs bud and we still have allot of real estate to cover. Till next time.
    Its a small world until you have to walk somewhere.

That's quite a haul of colonial goodies for just a day's hunt. Those hotspots definitely deserve to be gridded out and hunted hard. No telling what else lies under the surface at an early site like that. Great post, and good luck to you guys when you go back.

Feb 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
    764 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    awesome digs Jim. Congrats on the reale...a little rough though. I'd love to find one of those flying eagles some day!
    Debby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links