🥇 BANNER Colonial/Civil War site yields unusual silver object

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Last Sunday I headed out to a mixed colonial and Civil War site with my buddy Ron. After five years of going to this place, we have a good feel for where the old home sites are and where the Civil War camp relics are. I like to dig both. Recently, we discovered another home site near the back end of this property, so I decided to check it out in the late afternoon. On the way there, I dug a crusty 1798 Large Cent. Once there, one of my first finds was the 1875 Seated Liberty dime. Then followed flat buttons and some Civil War relics- a knapsack triangle and a variety of bullets. Then I get a decent reading in the button range. After removing a nail, it becomes an awesome signal, reading in the mid-90s on my MXT. I get out the pinpointer and hand digger and begin to uncover something silver about 10 inches down. Taking it out of the hole, I am thrilled but curious- what is this? It's either a dog or a bear, I think. It's handmade, heavy, and it appears to be pure silver. It looks like the top to a cane, but what is that atop its head? Looking inside it, something iron went through the top. Something went through its teeth and one ear is drilled out- but not the other. Does anyone know what this was or what time period it's from?
Thanks and HH,
Jason

Update: This little work of art has been identified as a officer's sword pommel from the Revolutionary War era.

Attachments

• 2-10-13 hunt 015.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 015.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 1,166
  • 2-10-13 hunt 003.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 003.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,049
  • 2-10-13 hunt 004.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 004.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,065
  • 2-10-13 hunt 005.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 005.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 988
  • 2-10-13 hunt 009.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 009.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,002
  • 2-10-13 hunt 006.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 006.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,009
  • 2-10-13 hunt 010.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 010.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 999
Last edited:
Upvote 35

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super great finds for sure!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting a feeling that this item is going to become more and more interesting, don't recall ever hearing of one dug.
It may end up having more significance than what is currently known.
My opinion, anyway.
That should be a banner item, period.
Carl

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if you go to e bay and look up "antique hand made pipe tamper " you will see one with a carved wooden face on it --- your loin head would go on the end where the face is at -- the bump on top the head was to pack unburnt fresh tobacco --the stick end was used to pack the burnt ash down --the mouth held a ring so it could be hung up on the wall --by looking at the "long stick type tamper" on e bay it you will quite easily see one of the "long stick type" tampers often used in taverns and upscale homes during the later 1700's thru mid 1800's time frame -- there was also shorter pocket type tampers --from 1585 until 1881 when the first really usible cigarette rolling machne came into being --pipes ruled the smoking world --cigars had their fans (mainly with the rich up class type folks -- who could afford the idle time needed to sit and smoke a cigar )--but for the common working man / or those that just wanted a quick smoke it was a pipe that ruled. -- the the plain jane tavern style clay pipe was the "cigarette butt" of its day , and was often "issued" for free if one bought tobacco for smoking at a tavern or smoke shop -- clay pipe bowls or stems found at a site normally mean civil war and earlier time frame --post war wooden pipes were more common than the old fashioned type clay pipes then in 1881 a major shift occured once the cigarette making machine came on the scene and pipes lost out to the cigarette in smoking popularity

I would rate this as a first class find for several reasons -- 1 ITS SILVER ( THUS VALUIBLE) 2 ITS VERY VERY OLD (THUS COOL) 3 ITS A HISTORICAL ITEM OF IMPORTANCE --TOBACCO WAS A HUGE CASH CROP IN AMERICA AND VERY IMPORTANT IN EARLY AMERICAN SOCIETY .

Last edited:

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Finds!

I was going to suggest a pipe cover, but Ivan beat me to the punch, I have a differing view of the long stem clay pipe though. It has always been my understanding that while its nice today to smoke out of a long stem pipe for the cooling effect, in the colonial era most taverns had communal pipes. Being that most people didn't practice general oral hygene, and illness was known to spread through communal contact, the pipes were made very cheaply and then left in wooden holders. Each time the pipe was used a piece of the pipe would be broken off where the previous smoker had put their lips. Just another explanation of something completely un related to you finds though =)

i hope you go over that site with a fine tooth comb

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Wow, thanks for all the comments and the banner nods. I appreciate everyone's input! After doing a lot of image searching looking first at long stick pipe tampers and then at Revolutionary War sabers, I believe this was probably the latter. Check out the image below- a very close match, though not exact. Doing a Google image search, I found a number of lion head pommels that closely resembled my find. Thanks to Iron Patch and sorahc for the suggestion about it being a pommel, but also thanks to Ivan Salis for his research and taking the time to post. You guys are great!
Revolutionary swords.jpg

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice sliver find Jason - HH

jjhodges

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very clearly a lion's head sword pommel. Im not sure where somebody got dog? a pipe tamper theory I can see, but there is no question what it actually is.

cwhunter_1

Feb 2, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab se pro, white oldy, tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to confuse the ID of your silver lion head, but here's a site that shows a silver lion head (Revolutionary War) sword.
Revolutionary War swords and edged weapons
See image " RWe6ds on page 2
It appears to be the same as yours, including the top knot. The opening in the mouth, depending on sword design, may be where the sword guard was attached. The top knot may be where the attachment nail or screw is inserted to attach to handle. Just another possibility. Nice peice anyway you look at it.

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is way cool!

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Not to confuse the ID of your silver lion head, but here's a site that shows a silver lion head (Revolutionary War) sword.
Revolutionary War swords and edged weapons
See image " RWe6ds on page 2
It appears to be the same as yours, including the top knot. The opening in the mouth, depending on sword design, may be where the sword guard was attached. The top knot may be where the attachment nail or screw is inserted to attach to handle. Just another possibility. Nice peice anyway you look at it.

Thanks cwhunter, there is definitely a strong resemblance. Great site. You are correct about the top knot and the openings in the mouth are either for a safety chain or the guard, as you suggest. Thanks for the input!

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome score ,thats something you dont see everyday !

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
with the sword pommels photos -- I too say sword pommel --although i thought long stemrd pipe tamper end piece at first -- still a colonial era ime frame find as I as i thought however. wrong use right time frame. --no ones perfect.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a very special find in my books & a sword pommel of that beauty would be right up there in my top finds. It has THE look!

I've voted banner on this one, I have no idea of value but nor to I care, its a star find!

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
with the sword pommels photos -- I too say sword pommel --although i thought long stemrd pipe tamper end piece at first -- still a colonial era ime frame find as I as i thought however. wrong use right time frame. --no ones perfect.

Ivan, I learned a some things from your posts and I'm glad you posted. I wasn't even sure how old it was- I guessed 18th or 19th century. Thanks!

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
This is a very special find in my books & a sword pommel of that beauty would be right up there in my top finds. It has THE look!

I've voted banner on this one, I have no idea of value but nor to I care, its a star find!

Thank you sir! That is quite a compliment considering what you've found. Do you have any idea as to whether it's British or American? I am happy either way. Thanks!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find...my banner vote is in. I would focus on that part of the property for a while. Good luck on future hunts.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread