🥇 BANNER Colonial/Civil War site yields unusual silver object

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Last Sunday I headed out to a mixed colonial and Civil War site with my buddy Ron. After five years of going to this place, we have a good feel for where the old home sites are and where the Civil War camp relics are. I like to dig both. Recently, we discovered another home site near the back end of this property, so I decided to check it out in the late afternoon. On the way there, I dug a crusty 1798 Large Cent. Once there, one of my first finds was the 1875 Seated Liberty dime. Then followed flat buttons and some Civil War relics- a knapsack triangle and a variety of bullets. Then I get a decent reading in the button range. After removing a nail, it becomes an awesome signal, reading in the mid-90s on my MXT. I get out the pinpointer and hand digger and begin to uncover something silver about 10 inches down. Taking it out of the hole, I am thrilled but curious- what is this? It's either a dog or a bear, I think. It's handmade, heavy, and it appears to be pure silver. It looks like the top to a cane, but what is that atop its head? Looking inside it, something iron went through the top. Something went through its teeth and one ear is drilled out- but not the other. Does anyone know what this was or what time period it's from?
Thanks and HH,
Jason

Update: This little work of art has been identified as a officer's sword pommel from the Revolutionary War era.

Attachments

• 2-10-13 hunt 015.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 015.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 1,169
  • 2-10-13 hunt 003.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 003.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,049
  • 2-10-13 hunt 004.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 004.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,065
  • 2-10-13 hunt 005.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 005.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 988
  • 2-10-13 hunt 009.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 009.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 2-10-13 hunt 006.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 006.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,010
  • 2-10-13 hunt 010.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 010.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 1,000
Last edited:
Upvote 35

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great assortment of finds.

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
This thing is freaking awesome. I started reading this thread from the top, curious to learn what the item is. The pipe idea sounded plausible, maybe the end of a cane, then maybe this or that.

Then Iron Patch chimes in and tells us what it IS. There be some knowledgable dudes on this site...

Again, great find!

Thanks! Yeah, there is a wealth of knowledge here and it's been a fun learning experience.

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Thanks everyone! This has been a series of pleasant surprises!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome!! I kinda knew what it was when I first saw this post, but didnt ave the time to comment.. I posted this brass one I found about 2yrs ago, the 2nd visit to the same site is when the sword belt loop turned up, Congrats on your banner find!!

Attachments

• AApic3.JPG
    AApic3.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Copy (2) of eagle_sword1.jpg
    Copy (2) of eagle_sword1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 133

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations, Jason!

audience.gif

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, this is my first post, but I'm a long time digger and collector. I disagree with it being a pipe tobacco tamper, I 'm reasonably sure it's a pommel from an 18th century silver mounted hunting sword, I've seen many through the years and it sure fits. The hole in the mouth would be for a silver chain that would attach lower on the sword. Great find!

unclefester

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2012
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro / Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible once-in-a-lifetime find Jason ! It doesn't get any better than that. Man ... is that sweet ! Congrats :)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, this is my first post, but I'm a long time digger and collector. I disagree with it being a pipe tobacco tamper, I 'm reasonably sure it's a pommel from an 18th century silver mounted hunting sword, I've seen many through the years and it sure fits. The hole in the mouth would be for a silver chain that would attach lower on the sword. Great find!

Welcome to the forum! Your sword pommel ID is right, but you didn't scroll through all the replies. The correct ID was made some time ago. You probably only saw the first page of replies.

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the coolest finds I've ever seen up top!

Incredible!!!!:thumbsup:

Cheers,
Dave.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I never expected that to happen, but I knew I had something good when I saw it in the ground!

I did, I just expected it a little sooner:hello2:

baronvoncatania

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2013
Woburn, massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings members

I am a collector of 18th century items and this is definitely a pommel of an 18th century Hunting sword. After you shot a boar or bear you dispatched it if ness with your hunting sword. That is why the pommel is shaped as a bear.
the hole in it was attached to a chain which went from the pommel to the guard. It did not have a solid finger guard.

Awesome find, it is either german, french, or British.

jim c new member.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on an extraordinary find and for making a well deserved banner! :) Breezie

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds ! that sure looks like a pipe tamper to me . Jim

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Thats awesome!! I kinda knew what it was when I first saw this post, but didnt ave the time to comment.. I posted this brass one I found about 2yrs ago, the 2nd visit to the same site is when the sword belt loop turned up, Congrats on your banner find!!

Thanks, and cool pommel!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread